Shoes and Shorts at BdC and The Pearl

Jan 23rd, 2007, 08:52 AM
Original Poster

Shoes and Shorts at BdC and The Pearl

Hoping for a little advice about shoes and shorts for Bosque del Cabo and The Pearl of the the Osa. I am trying to figure out if what we have will work or if I need to order some things specifically for this trip.

We do not have hiking boots. Originally I was planning on taking our Vans (canvas slip ons), but after reading as many posts that I could find about shoes, it sounds like we may need more traction. I defintely want something with a closed toe. The Keens and the shoes at Land's End were recommended. Is that a good way to go? Are the trails quite muddy? We will be there in April. Oh, and do people wear socks with those types of shoes? (some post mention things that bite ankles...)

When walking from our cabina to dinner and back at night, are closed toe shoes recommended as well? (All those posts about snakes have me a tiny bit worried)

Now for the shorts question. Most people recommend quick drying hiking type shorts. We only have cotton shorts or surf shorts. Would these work or would it be best to order some of the quick dry hiking shorts?

Thank you in advance for your advice.

Jan 23rd, 2007, 10:20 AM

I'd be a little iffy about hiking in Vans, traction is often needed on the trails, they are not all smooth and flat. On the Golfo TRail we were thankful we brought hiking sticks as well as it was steep, rocky & very slippery in some places. I've worn open toed shoes to go to dinner & back, you're walking, so the worst that could happen is you step on a snake (and that's very unlikely as well!) I don't know much time you have, but a great way I've found for shoes is to get them on ebay. I've so far bought 3 brand new pairs of hiking shoes there and have been very pleased. On all of them I've paid less than a third of the normal price. I would definitely wear socks as it will be hot & sticky.

All your shorts don't have to be the quick drying type. But the thinner material the better, and definitely not something that binds. Jean shorts would be uncomfortable I would think. The quick drying is just good for being a little cooler and if you plan to hand wash some clothes.
Jan 23rd, 2007, 10:37 AM

Excellent advice from tully.

I second the traction issue. I almost always wear some thin sock liners just to give me a little more protection and to keep from rubbing if I should get my feet wet. You could even just use a pair of all terrain running/walking shoes. I have done that plenty of times. Just keep in mind that they won't dry as quickly and have a pair of shoes you can keep dry to use at night or for just lounging around. I don't think the trails would be too wet in April. I have worn flip flops to and from the cabin at night. Just make sure you watch were you are going with a flashlight.
Jan 23rd, 2007, 06:31 PM

I bought Keens and brought my older LL Bean hiking boots. I found the Keens kept capturing little pebbles that I could not get out without taking them off, so I wore my boots except for hikes to the beach.
Jan 23rd, 2007, 08:12 PM

Hi sparklegem!
You mentioned the Land's End water/tennis shoes. That is what I used to BdC and they worked great. I think I paid about $29 for them. Taking the Keens this time and hoping NOT to catch little pebbles! LOL!
But certainly nothing wrong with the Lands End shoes. . .they even had that built in neoprene sock.

I do think you'll want socks, but take a couple of extra pairs. We took one pair for each day (if I remember correctly). It was early July (the 4th in fact) and it rained a little during the nights. The trails weren't too muddy, but our socks did get dirty and I'd wash them out in the shower and lay them out to dry. Drying is impossible, but in the sun (out on the sidewalk)it worked well, and we were blessed with lots of daytime sun!

We don't usually take special quick drying clothes, just t-shirts and shorts. Zip off pants/shorts. . .
I have a favorite pair of cotton shorts (kind of heavy ones actually) that I take everywhere (had them for 10 years or longer!). We've always gotten along fine with our regular clothes, but I do think I'll pick up a couple of cool max shirts for this trip--bought some Columbia thin shorts in Puerto Rico last summer that will come in handy also.

We wore our tennis shoes walking back and forth at night as well. Don't forget to pack a couple of flashlights.

Jan 24th, 2007, 03:48 AM

I'm feeling a little dense this morning. When you talk about wearing socks, do you mean just with your walking/hiking shoes or with the water sandals too? jmm
Jan 24th, 2007, 09:18 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all the super help! It is great to hear from my Fodor Friends!

I really like the shoes on the Land's End website because of the colors and price. They offer three with various amounts of sole traction and some have a mesh type upper. Does one seem to work better for the trails around BdC?

Here are the links to three shoes:

http://www.landsend.com/pp/BeachTrek...56319236172060

http://www.landsend.com/pp/SeatoShor...56319236172060

http://www.landsend.com/pp/CasualSpo...56319236172060

Thank you!
Gem
Jan 24th, 2007, 11:38 AM

I actually have Solomon Tech amphibian shoes that I love to wear hiking. Ugly but they were like bedroom slippers when I was hiking up in the High Sierras and when hiking around in Central America. I started out in the Sierras with my Vasque hiking boots and they came off about 1/2 way. The Solomon's have a netting type stuff on them that keep the pebbles out so are great on paths and walking through streams but are not very good on the beach with the finer sand. The netting can be a little rough so I just wear really thin socks. I believe the mesh on the Lands End shoes is softer like some similar shoes that I have from Wal Mart. Great for casual hiking and have great traction. The price of my Wal Mart shoes was only $12 and worked fine the time I brought them to CR.

I looked at the Lands end shoes before buying the Solomon's. They looked almost perfect and the price is certainly good. The colors also add a little to the fun factor. No need to bust the budget if you think they will be good for your needs.

I chose the Solomons based on my overall expected usage after reading reviews from other hikers. I have worn them hiking in Panama in La Amistad, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Guatemala, and in the mountains in Calif. over the last 2 1/2-3 years.

I prefer to wear lighter weight clothes when down there. It can get pretty darned hot during the day. They dry quicker when rinsed also. There are those times when they don't dry but it is hot enough to really not feel too bad putting them on. Keep in mind, people like me who have been traveling down there for years and years did not start out having all that perfect clothing etc. and did fine. I have purchased it a little every year. Now I have a box with just my CR clothing that I pull out and throw in my backpack when I am heading down. Last year I added a couple of pairs of LL Bean tropic weight capris.

I personally think you will be more comfortable if you at least have a pair of lightweight shorts for hiking during the day. Evenings are pretty comfortable so your regular clothes should be fine.

Jan 24th, 2007, 12:27 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Suzie, for taking the time to reply and the good advice. I think that the Solomon Tech amphibian shoes look cool. I had not heard anything about them so I did not really look into it but now I will. I think that I would like to get some light weight shorts, too.

I am starting to get excited about our trip. I was not sure if we were going to be able to go. The company that my husband worked for closed without notice of severence just before Thanksgiving. We really can't afford it now, but we are rather locked in; so we are going.

Very Best,
Gem
Jan 24th, 2007, 06:03 PM

sparklegem,
It's been a few years since I purchased my Land's End shoes--the styles have changed a bit, but what I have (and has worked well) is similar to both of the latter 2 choices. Somewhere in between. . .

janemm--don't feel dense; lots of things to think about--and more than one way of doing things, for sure!

We took regular tennis shoe socks---not real heavy, not real thin. A pair per day wasn't quite enough. We made it work, but an extra pair or two would have come in handy. We wore them with our hiking shoes. Not sure about wearing them with a hiking sandal, such as Tevas. I suppose you could.

My husband may have to--I got him some new Tevas for Christmas and he things one of them has a little rough place under one of the top straps that will eventually cause a problem. Not sure what to do about that--such a tenderfoot!
Jan 24th, 2007, 06:04 PM

No, not drinking here--just time for bed! He "thinks"--not he "things"!
Jan 25th, 2007, 06:08 PM
Original Poster

Well, the shoes are all ordered. I ordered mine from Ebay (Timberland Hydroscape Vibram in pink), my husband is getting a pair of Teva Gammas from Campmor and I ordered the Beach Trekker from Land's End (in pink)for my daughter. We are going to try to use the shorts and t's that we have.

Thank you for all your help on this (somewhat silly) issue! I feel like I got the right shoes with all your help.

Very Best,
Gem

I must really
Jan 25th, 2007, 06:12 PM
Original Poster

oops-
P.S. be thinking of Costa Rica. I made Gallo Pinto with lots of vegatables and tropical fruits for dinner.
Jan 25th, 2007, 06:17 PM
Original Poster

oops, vegetables
Jan 26th, 2007, 05:50 AM

Gem,

Sorry to hear about your husbands job. There is so much of that going on around here with all of the GM plants and suppliers. Hopefully he will find something soon.

Btw don't worry about being silly if it is important to you. And DON"T worry about typos.

A little moleskin purchased at any drugstore in the foot supply section will help with any rubbing spots if you don't have time to break your shoes in before heading down. It comes in squares that you can cut to size. We always carry some in our medical kit because even some of the most faithful of shoes can develop a spot or two. Particularly for me because I tend to swell up a little from the sitting when I travel long distances.

Happy travels
Jan 26th, 2007, 06:49 AM

Gem,ditto for the moleskin! It can save any hiking. My husband/kids often get blisters on his heels and by just cutting a square to cover the irritated skin can save a hike!!! By the way, it's always best to put the moleskin on the "hot spot" PRIOR to getting a blister.SO...I always travel with pre-cut pieces in my backpack.It stays on even thru a shower!

Also, my 19 year old daughter and I travelled/hiked in New Zealand/Australia last year thru some real muddy trails and we wore these "Crocs"(some places call them 'Holey' shoes).They are real lite weight rubber clogs..not the best foot support if you have orthotic problems but they dry easily,lite weight(maybe 1/10 of lb),stay on,cheap(maybe $25)...and come in about 15 different colours!Seen them all over Canada and Hawaii! Not so sure about other areas.
Happy Trails!
Jan 26th, 2007, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

Hi Suzie,
Thank you for your kind words and for the moleskin suggestion. "and a box of bandaides" my husband chimed in.
Veru Best,
Gem
Jan 26th, 2007, 07:50 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, Shadow12. The pre-cut pieces are an excellent idea.
Jan 26th, 2007, 09:08 AM

Shadow12

Wow, I have been looking at the crocs for everyday wear. Everyone says they are so comfy. Never would have thought to wear them hiking. Thanks for the heads up.

Gem,
Your husband is right about the band aids. I only had a few and used them quickly one year. I went into Puerto Jimenez to the pharmacy to buy some. I just asked for a box of band aids which is how I buy them at home. The counter person gave me a box that must have had at least 200 band aids! I think they sell them individually down there. Next time I will know to ask for 5 or 10 or whatever.
Jan 26th, 2007, 09:48 AM

Suzie2: All sorts of people wear crocs all day long!(young,mature,big and small) And I can too but just not everyday(bunions,flat feet).I need to wear Mephisto or Birkenstocks around the house("hippy shoes" as my kids call them)yet the crocs were great for me during hikes.

Oh, and with the pre-packed moleskin and bandaids..I always travel with Polysporin for cuts,infections etc.,it has an antibiotic.Helps to heal SO quickly.I am assuming travelling in rainforest...scratches,cuts,scrapes etc. are inevitable.(The more you have, the more fun you've had!!) You can also just pour/soak cosmetic pads with rubbing alcohol to disinfect,put in zip lock bag before travelling! And presto! You have a small First Aid kit on hand!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO