Road trip Florida to Boston

Old Oct 25th, 2015, 07:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Road trip Florida to Boston

Hi,

I am surprising my teenager by taking him to a Patriots game on December 6th.
I really hate flying so am thinking of driving up there.
I have driven this route several times in the summer so am nor concerned about the actual drive, just the weather and elements on the road.
Any advice that anyone can give would be helpful, also does it snow badly that time of year up there? If we stick to the main roads are they cleared and well looked after?

Thanks in advance

Kelly
Old Oct 26th, 2015, 04:19 AM

That is kind of early for very heavy snow - but it is certainly possible. And long range weather forecasts predict that this will be a very heavy snow year for the northeast.

The states in that area are well equipped to keep major roads open, but unless you are experienced driving in snow I can't recommend it since it is a completely different skill. And if you are caught in the middle of a heavy snow it can sideline you for a day or more.

I think you will have to watch the weather in advance and if it appears that a heavy snow is predicted (assume you will drive straight through - not take 4 or 5 days each way for the trip) that you might consider switching to train into Boston. Will be faster than driving in any case and unless the snow is really heavy trains are not stopped.
Old Oct 26th, 2015, 04:44 AM

>>Any advice that anyone can give would be helpful, also does it snow badly that time of year up there?<<

No one can answer that question honestly. Unless "sometimes" is acceptable.

>> If we stick to the main roads are they cleared and well looked after?<<

Here's the deal. If you get caught IN a snowstorm, it won't matter. You'll be screwed no matter what roads you're on.

Don't overthink this. It's a roll of the dice.
Old Oct 26th, 2015, 04:45 AM

What nytraveler said. Depending on how much you really hate flying and the costs involved should make it easier to figure out. Once you get to NJ, the roads should be cleared fairly quickly after a snow. A couple of years ago there was a huge snowstorm in October that hit inland NE places, but that is not common.

Remember the Pats play in Foxborough, which is south of Boston, so if you overcome your fear of flying consider flying into Providence, RI as well as Boston. Southwest goes to both cities, so check their low fare calendar and also compare rental car or public transportation from the city to the site. Check Jetblue too, Southwest and Jetblue often don't show up on the third party sites like travelocity. The drive from Providence to Foxborough is about the same time-wise as from Boston, depending on traffic.

Amtrak goes to Providence too, so look at that option too, but I would guess that the cost for train would be more than flying, and take a lot more time.
Old Oct 26th, 2015, 07:06 AM

about 30 hour drive (which potentially could become longer with active snow storm) vs. about 3 hour flight?
Old Oct 26th, 2015, 07:08 AM

It doesn't take much snow for more southern states to have dangerous driving conditions. More northern states are prepared for snow, but a big storm can close things down for a few days. I'd rethink.
Old Oct 26th, 2015, 07:27 AM

I was thinking about the southern states, too, but it really is pretty early for snow in general--it seems unlikely.
Old Oct 26th, 2015, 01:11 PM

It would be the mid-Atlantic around DC that "might" get the remote possibility.
Man, Southwest sounds REALLY REALLY good--and it could actually be cheaper to fly than the overnights coming and going, etc.
Old Oct 26th, 2015, 01:44 PM

Amtrak could be your solution. I live on the east coast in Fl and getting around Jax is the big hurdle till you get to Richmond and then DC on is heavy traffic. I have to drive one way next week from Annapolis and will leave at o dark thirty to get around DC and hopefully time Richmond right. I have seen snow at Thanksgiving there.
Old Oct 26th, 2015, 02:17 PM

So do you want to hear about the snowstorm we had in Boston area a few years ago at Halloween that knocked out our power for 4 days? Admittedly very rare - I do not think snow will be an issue. But I would allow an extra day on your trip.

The traffic around Gillette Stadium will make you wish you could fly into the stadium. We attend 3-4 games/year, living about an hour's drive northeast of Gillette. On gameday it can take 3 hours. We attended first game of the season - on a Thursday night - and were still in the parking lot stuck in traffic at 1:15 AM. Just plan for that eventuality.

While you say you are familiar with the route, one tip. Don't take the George Washington Bridge, which is the way most mapping programs will route you. Tappan Zee Bridge is the way to go.

And keep an eye on the schedule - the game is scheduled for 4:15 but is in the window of games that could be flexed - so time might change.
Old Oct 26th, 2015, 10:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
First of all, where in Florida do you live? The flying opportunities could involve either Southwest or JetBlue or even American.

I assume you sre thinking of driving in order to save money but that msy or may not be the case. You aren't driving that far without eating and buying gasoline, etc., not to mention the time it will take to tavel both ways.
Old Oct 27th, 2015, 03:35 AM

The OP wants to avoid flying since he hates it - not due to the cost. That's the reason I suggested train as an alternative. I don't know the cost of train but beleive it is cheaper if bought several weeks in advance - but that would be too early to know if snow is likely.
Old Oct 27th, 2015, 04:46 AM

I didn't miss the "hating flying" at all. It was followed by "thinking of driving", which to me, means, "maybe, if you guys tell me enough to sway me".
If the OP uses Amtrak, add a day on the front to be sure it isn't late and they miss the game. LOL
Old Oct 27th, 2015, 04:48 AM

>>about 30 hour drive<<

In reverse gear?
Old Oct 27th, 2015, 01:29 PM

I am taking amtrak auto train to Va on Friday,an hour drive to my desination from there. It is 16 hours but have a sleeper and all will be sweet. It was crazy expensive to rent one way so am doing that for under 400.00. Driving back but spending one night on the road for the Boxer boy. I really don't mind the train.
Old Nov 7th, 2015, 02:52 AM

I will suggest you will go their by flight because it is safe as compare to travel by road. It is dangerous in snowfall. You can also travel by train.
Old Nov 7th, 2015, 03:23 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
1300 miles one way? If you are going to make it a true road trip and stop and see things along the way, maybe. To drive up for one event? I wouldn't do it.

flpab has a good idea about the train. Check into that if you don't like flying.
Old Nov 7th, 2015, 03:27 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It's been how many days since the OP posted?
Old Nov 7th, 2015, 04:37 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Why? Is there a new time clock? Do posts go "poof" after a certain amount of time? Is this Mission Impossible circa 1966?

Maybe she's reading and not commenting.
Maybe she posted and will never return.
Maybe she'll return to comment tomorrow.

What does it matter?
Old Nov 7th, 2015, 04:44 AM

Perhaps Dukey1 is observing that some individuals seem never to have an unvoiced thought.