Search

zihuatenejo

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 02:27 PM
paula

zihuatenejo

We are thinking of booking one of the small resorts in this area for our 25th anniverary trip (Villa del Sol, Casa que canta, etc). Can anyone tell me about towns/restaurants in the area...are they easily accessible from these resorts so that one can do a dinner or two off-site? How about shopping?? Appreciate the help!!

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 03:40 PM
Susan

I didn't stay in either of those places, but I know that both are conveniently located. You can easily take a cab (or even a bus) into town. There are a whole string of hotels, villas, etc. along that area. Lots of good restaurants. I can't recommend anything specific - it's been 3 years since we were there, but we found some really nice places.

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 04:19 PM
Anony

<BR><BR>There is a Web page www.zihautanejo.net<BR>and some good video on Frommers.

Old May 1st, 2002, 06:17 AM
paula

Thanks for your help!!

Old May 1st, 2002, 09:25 AM
lori

I stayed in Zihua for a week in Jan. I was right across from the villa del sole. It is VERY nice. (5 Star nice)Zihua is quieter and calmer than Ixtapa. The beach is nice and relaxing and you can take a taxi ride anywhere for cheap. I highly recommend the Villa del sol.

Old May 1st, 2002, 10:26 AM
Debra

Zihua is the town the two resorts are located in--so that provides very easy access. Ixtapa is a short cab ride away. You can easily get to either town for dinner. <BR><BR>Shopping is fairly limited in both towns--Ixtapa more commercialized than Zihua, but Zihua has more "authentic" crafts. The market in Zihua is very similar to Ixtapa, so don't make a special trip to Ixtapa for shopping only. I would suggest that you go a little early to dinner one night in Ixtapa and add shopping to the agenda. There's one great restaurant in Ixtapa that we keep trying to go to when we're down there but they're always closed. It's very secluded, away from the Ixtapa "strip," and I think it's called Villa something or other. I'm sure Fodors restaurant listing includes it. FYI--We stayed at Casa Que Canta last year and didn't leave once for dinner b/c the restaurant is so good.<BR><BR>Good luck with the trip. You can't go wrong with either hotel, but we happen to love Casa. Whichever hotel you decide on, be sure to go to the other for dinner one night. Both restaurants are wonderful.

Old May 1st, 2002, 11:24 AM
peggy

I think it is Villa de la Selva in Ixtapa you are thinking of Debra. Great at sunset. Paula, we enjoyed staying at Villa del Sol since it was on the beach and for dinners be sure to go to KauKan & Coconuts. On the harbor/marina area was Casa Elvira, great for lunch & on Las Ropas beach we walked to & ate at Elvira's (another one) at the north end (table in the sand under tiki torches with flambe brandied bananas!), La Dolca Vita (Italian), & La Gaviota (south end). Walk down & get a bucket of small beers & set & watch the sunset. Drinks & food are much cheaper at all the restaurants along Las Ropas beach than at VDS & CQC. And of course go to both VDS & Casa Que Canta for dinner at least one night. That should about fill your dinner card! Have a great time, we thought it was very romantic. Breakfasts on the patio & lunches on the beach at VDS were excellent for atmosphere also.

Old May 2nd, 2002, 03:40 AM
paula

Thanks again - these suggestions make me feel much better about our choice! SInce it is not an area I am overly familiar with, any information is helpful. When I mentioned to a co-worker that we might not leave the hotel "complex" during our stay she was horrified....thus the question. <BR><BR>I am also gald to hear that it is possible to stay on site and not feel limited by the menu/food.

Old May 2nd, 2002, 04:47 AM
georgia

hey paula... we stayed at villa del sol for our honeymoon and I would definitely encourage you to eat away from the resort. personally we thought the food wasn't that great (except for the salsa and guacamole on the beach or at the infinity pool) and was very expensive. the restaurants in town are terrific: we especially loved KauKan and Coconuts. it takes five minutes to get to town in a cab, vds will call one for you, and there's a huge shopping area/flea market. zihuatanejo is a great little town, we felt very safe there and went there every night. the only downside about it is that at VDS you're by the ocean and so you get this great breeze. once you get to town it is super humid (at least it was in July). so dress appropriately. by the way, the rooms at VDS were wonderful...I'd definitely get one with beach view and plungepool...it was worth every penny. cheers, georgia

Old May 2nd, 2002, 05:31 AM
Susan

Someone mentioned shopping in Zihuatanejo and Ixtapa. I liked a small complex in Zihuatanejo - can't remember the name, but there were a few cats around and apparently it's the local humane society (or something along those lines - all the cats were spayed or neutered). They had some nice shops for masks, rugs, etc. We found Ixtapa more expensive for the same items. I bought some pillows in Zihuatanejo - same pillows were several dollars more in Ixtapa.

Old May 2nd, 2002, 10:48 AM
paula

I am definitely getting psyched - your comments are insightful and will help us make our trip more enjoyable.

Old May 2nd, 2002, 01:30 PM
Julie Roach

I have read these responses and I think that Villa Del Sol would be awesome. We are going to be in Cancun for a meeting - and have made a decision to go to Royal Hideaway in Playacar. How hard would it be to travel to Zihuateanejo instead of Playa?

Old May 2nd, 2002, 02:14 PM
Susan

Julie, I just replied to your other note. Cancun is on the east coast, Zihuatanejo is on the west coast. Mexico is a big country - I don't see that it's practical to visit both unless you're prepared to fly.

Old May 2nd, 2002, 02:44 PM
paula

In all my queries, on line and in person, including two travel agents, it is my understanding that I could not possibly go wrong choosing either resort. Thanks so much for all your input!!