Zihuatanejo, MX - Villa de la Roca

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8th, 2009, 07:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone been to Zihuatanejo this year (2009). Stayed at Villa de la Roca (small B & B type place on Playa de la Ropa)? Can you tell me your impression? We are retired and this is our first trip to Mexico. Am a little concerned because of the US State Dept. "warnings to travelers to Mexico."

Thank you!
Old Apr 8th, 2009, 07:25 PM

I have a interest in a home in Zihua/Ixtapa so do not stay at hotels. I returned from there about 2 weeks ago all being incredibly calm & peaceful. I will be returning for a month in mid April.
Old Apr 8th, 2009, 07:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the speedy response, Stewbear! So, another question: since we are completely clueless, will the airport in Ixtapa/Zihua be "user friendly"--i.e., is there a money exchange there, will cabs/airport shuttles be readily available for those of us who have only a vague idea about what to expect? (Can you tell I'm not a big world traveler and a little nervous?!!!)

Thanks!
Old Apr 8th, 2009, 10:00 PM

First there is an ATM to the left upon exiting customs. It's maybe 50 feet & across from the bar.
The Ticket stand is directly across from the Custom exit. Here are the options
http://www.zihuatanejo.net/airporttaxi.html
I take The Collective as it is a large modern van/SUV that MAY take 5 minutes or so longer than a private cab at about a third the price.
Ignore the time share ghouls which are in the area. Some will try to hustle you but no need to be polite. Just walk by without speaking.
You are indeed in for a treat. Lots of good beach hangouts on La Ropa. My two favorites are Rossy's & Paty's on opposite ends of the beach. A cab to El Centro should be 18 pesos from your hotel but 5 more in called. Also they like to charge 40 % more for AC so tell the hotel NO AC CABS Por Favor! No need for the less than 5 minute ride.
Favorite restaurants are Lety's Seafood, Chendo's Seafood. Marina Café Fresh Fish , pasta & Pizza, Memos Italian all for less than $10 per entrée. Another great one is Casa Vieja for great pork & shrimp at about $14 per. A real Mexican treat is The Ricomar in Pozole Alley. Real delicious Mexican food for under $3 US! Safe & Clean. Feel free with any questions or write me off the board.
Old Apr 8th, 2009, 10:02 PM

PS Here's best Maps for the area
http://members.shaw.ca/ZihuaJ/ZMapPage/ZihuaFront.htm
Old Apr 9th, 2009, 05:23 AM

I agree that the airport and everything is user-friendly. My husband and I were there in 07--stayed at a different hotel (Las Brisas) but really liked Zihua. We don't speak much Spanish but wandered around Zihua on our own with no problem, felt safe.

We had some of the best fish ever there--mostly red snapper, and I think the best was at La Sirena Gorda. Have fun!
Old Apr 9th, 2009, 11:26 AM

Don't worry, Zihua is safe. We really enjoyed Hotel Brisas Del Mar. the rooms were not quite as appealing as they look on the internet, but the hotel is great and within walking distance to downtown via a paved walkway along the beach. We've been to Zihua many times. You'll love it.
Old Apr 10th, 2009, 08:28 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your responses, I really appreciate it. Thanks, Stewbear, for the detailed info in response to my concerns. I feel more confident now, and am definitely looking forward to our impending trip!