Your impressions of Zihuatanejo

Old Jul 27th, 2003, 01:20 PM
Original Poster

Your impressions of Zihuatanejo

In very early stages of planning a trip to Zihuatanejo in February. Been to many areas around the world but never Mexico.
Are beaches nice?
Hotels 4 star? Natives friendly? Etc.
Thanks for your help in advance
Old Jul 27th, 2003, 02:12 PM

Local people friendly, yes definitely. But for 4-star you'll probably need to stay in Ixtapa to find the high-end new development resorts built in the area (Zihuat/Ixtapa share an airport). Zihuat is the old fishing village. Beaches are "Pacific coast" not Caribbean.
Old Jul 27th, 2003, 03:42 PM

Hi John, I've been to "Z" many times and you'll like it. It is laid back, a sheltered harbour and beaches. The people are super and most speak english. There are world class hotels, Villa del Sol and La Casa Que Canta as well as small, charming Inns like Villa de la Roca and many houses and bungalows on Playa la Ropa, the best beach.It's a 10 minute cab ride to Ixtapa, a relatively new resort to the north with high rise hotels and lots of nightlife. Try Kau-Kan resturant, my favorite, for a great meal on the hill overlooking "Z". No crime or hostility here, you can walk the beach all night with no problem. Have a good trip wherever you go, R.
Old Jul 28th, 2003, 09:46 AM
Original Poster

RANDREW
Thanks for the info. Can you recomend a hotel or two? Hoe about Catalina Beach Resort? Looks good on the net!
Old Jul 28th, 2003, 10:05 AM

Our favorite spot is not well known but only an hour north of Zihau, eco-town called Troncones...well off the beaten path, beautiful beach, great local food and cheap, cheap, cheap.
Old Jul 28th, 2003, 11:21 AM

hi,
I love Zih!! Agreta place is Villa Mexicana it is right on Vill del ropa and the hotel is pretty small only about 60 rooms. It is right next door to Vill Del Sol. There are a bunch of restaurants close by and it is very easy to get into town for here. If you have any questions e-mail me at [email protected].

Happy Travels,
Jill
Old Jul 30th, 2003, 12:16 PM

Hello John, as a follow up to earlier message I can reccommend some hotels. Another reply mentioned the Mexicana Hotel and I have stayed there. This is a favorite location of ours on Playa La Ropa. It"s right on the beach and next to Villa del Sol but very reasonable and has A/C. Get a room on 2nd floor, beach view if possible, towards southern end. They have a web site, it is new. The manager, I think is Raoul, a great guy and he can arrange trips and things if you want. Right next to Patty's resturant, a good place for lunch. Mexicana has it's own resturant but we like Patty's or Elvira, an adjoining spot. In answer to your question, Catalina and Sotavento are nice but older, no A/C and go up the hill towards the road. Troncones is nice, but remote if you have no car. A very nice small place there is the Atlantis, owned a nice couple from Detroit. Hotel Puerto Mio - Villa Vera, at the extreme tip of the Bay, is nice, upscale, great pool & resturant but no beach. I would stay at a place on Playa La Ropa your 1st trip. It's close to everything and it is the best beach. I hope I helped you, if you wish, you can e-mail me at [email protected] fun. Rob.
Old Jul 30th, 2003, 07:00 PM

I will be leaving for Mexico next week! I can't wait. We will be in PV and were looking for a smaller town to visit; "Z" sounds perfect. Can anyone recommend hotels that are less than 50 dollars per night? This info is great- thanks guys.
Jenelle
Old Jul 30th, 2003, 09:27 PM
dp

Check your map to see the distance from PV to Zihua. It's not close, if that was the idea.
Old Jul 31st, 2003, 06:23 AM

Seen the map, thanks. Still would love hotel info.
Thanks.
Old Jul 31st, 2003, 07:31 AM

A few years ago I took a bus from PV to Zihua and it was a ten hour trip.