Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Yucatan Peninsula Recommendations Please (Honeymoon)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1st, 2014, 07:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are flying into Cancun in February and staying 2 nights in Isla Mujures. After that, we have a week to bum around the Yucatan. We are hoping to visit Tulum and Puerto Morelos but nothing is set in stone. We are in our late 30's and would like some excursions along with local food and culture. One of us speaks elementary Spanish. Is there a site/suggestion for an itinerary that will accomplish our goals? We also want to unwind on the beach, which I'm counting on Isla to provide. This will be my fiance's first time in Mexico (and taking a vacation in general) so I want to make it count; he doesn't get many opportunities to travel.
Thanks Fodors Forum Folks in advance; you are a wealth of information!
Old Dec 1st, 2014, 10:02 PM
kja

The good news -- and the bad news -- is that there is WAY too much to do in the Yucatan for the time you have, so you'll need to prioritize based on YOUR interests and preferences. Of the half-dozen guidebooks I used when planning my time in the area, I thought the Moon Guide the best and the Rough Guide a close second; you might want to consult them.

As long as you know the basic civilities in Spanish (thank you, hello, please, etc.), you'll be fine and -- if you have a decent guidebook -- you shouldn't need a guide anywhere unless that is your preference.

Congrats and best wishes!
Old Dec 2nd, 2014, 04:47 AM

I wouldn't pick more than 2 or 3 stops with that much time; if you average 2 nights/stop that means you're packing up and moving on every other day, half the days of your trip. Isla and Tulum would be good bases, or maybe add Valladolid. Lots of options!

I like the Moon Guide, too. My photos with blog, travelogue, and review links on the main page of each collection are below in case you're interested - all my recommendations are embedded there.
Congratulations and happy trails!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections
Old Dec 2nd, 2014, 06:28 AM

So you have 9 days total? If you are staying on Isla Mujeres for just two nights, that essentially gives you just one full day there, you have to factor in the time to get to and take the ferry each way, etc. is there some reason you are not spending a 3 rd night?

puerto Morelos is a very small town. It gets more crowded with many Canadians in winter, making it somewhat difficult to eat dinner as there are only a few restaurants. There is good snorkeling there but you need to go out in a boat to get to the reef. I have stayed there in Feb. and personally would not choose to do so again.

Tulum has a very nice beach. It can be pricey to stay on the beach in winter there. The town is basically on and around the Hwy 307 that runs the length of the coastline. It is not an attractive town but there are some good inexpensive restaurants there.

Have you considered Playa del Carmen? Hopping town with nice vibe and many very good restaurants of all types of cuisine. Lots of shopping and bars also, mile long pedestrian street, nice zocalo on the oceanfront. Many nice hotels to choose from.

Personally I would stay at one beach for 3-4 nights and then head to Merida by bus, 4 hrs. Merida is a wonderful colonial city, fells more like a large town since it is all colonial style. Lots of wonderful culture there, art, traditional musical and dance performances in the small parks in the centro Historico each night of the week ( the performance at Santa Lucia park on Thursday nights is our favorite). Incredibly lovely architecture. FEB. Is a wonderful time for climate in Merida.

Then I would bus from Merida to Cancun on day of departure and get a cab from the bus station to the airport. Or if flight leaves in the a.m., bus to Cancun the evening before and stay at one of the hotels by Cancun Airport.

ADO is the 1st class bus line.
Old Dec 2nd, 2014, 07:49 AM

you have lots of options - stay on the beach road in Tulum, stay in Tulum Pueblo, Puerto Morelos, Akumal, Playa del Carmen. You could also do an overnight in Valladolid and vist Chichen itza. Playa is by far the busiest and biggest city if you want lots of dining and nightlife. Each of these towns are fun but in different ways. Have you been to locogringo.com?
Old Dec 2nd, 2014, 08:21 AM

I really have to agree with everything mentioned here above, especially emd3.
The Yucatan peninsula has got to be the most sought after destination in all of Mexico and for all the right reasons. I too suggest you go straight to Playa after Isla. No other destination(in the peninsula) compares to it, except maybe Merida which is not on the ocean and is about 4 and half hours away by bus. From Playa, you can easily venture out of the city to visit dozens of excursions and be back home (playa) for supper with your choice of more than 300 restaurants to choose from. Dont forget the beaches, clubs , shopping, La Quinta, etc...all within the city limits. Your fiance will be just amazed... and he will thank you for this.
Old Dec 2nd, 2014, 11:56 AM

Check and see if Carnaval is on during your dates, it is a big deal on Isla Mujeres with parades, people in very elaborate costumes, etc.
Will you have a rental car? Lots easier to get around with one, especially if you stay on the beach in Tulum. Otherwise you'll be spending money on taxis (no buses or colectivos along the Tulum beach road). Akumal is very nice also, be sure and visit there to snorkel with the turtles, it is free, and you can rent gear if needed from one of the two dive shops.
Old Dec 2nd, 2014, 08:13 PM
RAC

I would stay in the south Maya Riviera area (anything south of but NOT including Playa del Carmen)--Akumal and Tulum come to mind. From there you can do day trips to Coba and Chichen Itza for ruins, Sian Kaan for nature, explore cenotes (underground caves full of water), snorkel Yal-Ku, Akumal beach, etc.

If you want something more jungly than beachy, look at Selva Mariposa near Tulum (our room had a plunge pool with a hammock over it just off the bedroom, with a waterfall feeding the pool).
Old Dec 8th, 2014, 09:44 AM

In my opinion Tulum is the most suitable for honeymoon. Be Tulum Hotel is perfect to spend some nights or just to visit for dinner or lunch ! Playa del Carmen is more friendly than Cancun. Akumal and Puerto Morelos just to visit for a half of day, wouldnt recommend to stay over night. Try: http://visitroo.com/ for some inspiring ideas.