Day Trips From Cancun? :-)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26th, 2004, 08:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, my boyfriend & I are going to Cancun for the first time in mid. May for 6 days, and our hotel is located between the hotel zone & down town area (haven?t done enough research yet, so not quite sure how good of location is that).

We used to travel around Europe b/c we both enjoy exploring places on our own very much. Kicking back on the beach for few hours is nice, but we like to walk around and exploring streets & towns / village etc. more than anything. But this time we decide to go somewhere closer to home (Chicago) and Cancun seemed to be a very good choice.

So here's the question: apart from the water sports & local must-see tours, what are the places around Cancun that are worth for taking a day trip to (by public transportation or by walking)? Also, we got our package (air+hotel) for $600.00 per person from Expedia.com--- is this a good deal? It seemed like a super good deal to us, but since I have no concept what so ever when it comes to Caribbean / Mexico vacation (I don?t even know whether they have their own currency or do they accept USD?oh, come on, stop laugh at me!), so I?d like to know what some of you experts think here!

Any suggestions & advice will be appreciated!

Have a GREAT ONE!
Old Apr 26th, 2004, 09:31 AM

Rent a car (or hire a taxi for the day - same price) and drive down 307 to Tulum, Akumal, Puerto Morelos and Playa del Carmen.

Take a bus trip to Chichen Itza or Coba.

Take a taxi or the bus to Playa del Carmen and take the ferry to Cozumel for the day.

Take the bus/taxi to Tres Rios - an eco-park - and ride horses on the beach, snorkel, hang out on their beach.
Old Apr 26th, 2004, 07:10 PM
Original Poster

Sounds good, thanks!!
Old Apr 26th, 2004, 08:33 PM

I would agree with Diana and rent a car and drive south on 307. The road is very easy to drive on and there are a lot of fun things that you can explore. Playa del Carmen is a quaint town, a little touristy but a lot of European influence with the shops and restaurants. Definitely check out a couple of cenotes. They are the fresh water sinkholes that are abundant throughout the Yucatan and are great for snorkeling and cooling off. There are also a lot of nearly deserted beaches where you can hang out along the way. The ruins at Tulum are worth a visit also.
Old Apr 26th, 2004, 09:19 PM

Tulum is cool and the setting is simply spectacular! If you're of a more adventurous bent, you might also want to head inland about 40 minutes to Coba (direct shot from Tulum). The ruins are *FAR* less visited than Tulum, and Coba was a major Mayan city, whereas Tulum was just a small town built in the post-classic era. I guess it depends on how much archaeology sparks your trigger...

Instead of Playa del Carmen, you might like a smaller town like Puerto Morelos even better...

Another good day trip is to just head over to Isla Mujeres. It's *SOOOO* easy that I don't recommend any of the party boats or daytrip packages offered by Cancun hotels. Instead, just look for the R-1 bus marked "Isla Mujeres" on the windshield (most of 'em are newer, and also say "vamos a isla mujeres" on the side). These buses will take you direct to the ferry dock at Puerto Juarez, from there, its 35 pesos (US$3.50) to take the public high-speed ferry across to the island. Once there, stroll through the town, head to the beach, or rent a golf cart and cruise around the island.

Xcaret, Xel-Ha, and Garrafon are all "pre-packaged" eco-parks that are run by the same outfit. Xcaret is the largest and best of 'em, but can be expensive.

Are you into scuba? Archaelogy? Nature? There's really so many more options, it just depends on where your interests lie.

I've got photos of some of these places on my web page, if you're interested. It's at: www.tiogringo.com

Have fun!
Mark
Old Apr 27th, 2004, 05:43 AM

Mark (TioGringo), I'm planning a June trip to Mexico and just wanted to say that I really enjoyed your site and all of the great reviews. I appreciate the detailed info and would encourage others to check out the site!
Old Apr 27th, 2004, 07:12 AM
Original Poster

Hello Mark! Thanks so much for your information, they?re very helpful-- you're a star! I LOVE taking pictures of scenery on my trips so I can't wait to go to these places!!!
I'm not sure could I post certain info here, but I?d really like to thank all of the people who left helpful information here by offering you a great discount when you shop in my store:
http://stores.ebay.com/Blue-Ducky-Ba...enameZl2QQtZkm

(For Mark, you'll get a discount & a FREE gift!

I will be posting a link to my online photo album after I return from Cancun in May, so if you're interested to take a look please check back!
Thanks again, Mark!

Cat =^_^=
Old Apr 28th, 2004, 12:47 PM
MightyIsis

Ditto on the ferry to Isla Mujeres. It will be more convenient for you than going to Playa del Carmen to get the ferry to Cozumel, plus Cozumel often has a lot of disembarked cruise ship passengers around. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but Isla Mujeres is much more laid back. You can also rent scooters. Does your screen name mean that you have NINE cats?

Old Apr 29th, 2004, 08:14 AM
Original Poster

Scooter sounds like fun. Thanks for the information!

When I first got my computer I lived in Apt# 9c, and I love cats (I have 2 cats, so voila! I'd love to have more than 2 cats, but I'll end up filing bankruptcy if I had 9 cats, lol!
Old May 2nd, 2004, 03:17 PM

Mmmmm? renting a car in Mexico isn't the best idea. I've been to Cancun and Rivera Maya four times.... Apple Tours will get you where you need to go and they are excellent. See the ruins... snorkel on the reef! Don't drink water outside your hotel. Even in the Hotel Zone...whew....I've been sick three of the four times. Ice, dishes washed in their water, and fruit washed in it is a NO No.
Old May 2nd, 2004, 03:29 PM

But Apple Tours are expensive. If you don't want to rent a car, the public bus system is cheap and very easy to use.

I really enjoy Isla Mujeres. On our one and only trip to Cancun, we ended up spending two days on Isla. Much more our style.

By the way, US dollars are readily accepted, but you'll save money if you use Mexican pesos.

Jean

Old May 3rd, 2004, 03:40 AM

great restaurant in down town Cancun to visit; name is Pericos; a mexican cantina worth the taxi ride will be a great evening of fun
also for a romantic dinner down town
La Habichuela
Old Jun 6th, 2004, 02:14 PM
Original Poster

I'm baaack~~!! To view my photo online, go to:

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4286658065

Then type in "nineccat_guest" for user name & "guest" for password!

Later~!!!

Old Jun 7th, 2004, 09:23 AM

Wow, you were busy... great pictures, thanks!

Ken
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 07:04 PM

Holy schmokes!

When I go on vacation, I post like 10 photos --- your photo book must have well over 100!! And they're COOL!

Looks like you had a great time.

Thanks for sharing the pics!
Mark
www.tiogringo.com
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the comments, guys!

How you like the summer so far, Mark? I have a memory of an 80 yrs old, so I take / post lots of pics--- this way I won't forget what I?ve done or learned on my trips! ^O^

Apart from checking to see if three?s any new messages, I'm back here to WARN people about ?Mayan Palace? in Mexico:

*******IMPORTANT*******

Anyone who's going to Cancun / Mexico please WATCH OUT for MAYAN PALACE (it's not a hotel, it's a resort "organization&quot once you arrived Mexico! Go to below link to find out why:

http://www.caribbeanmag.com/cgi-bin/...;action=thread

I know this is true b/c I went to Mayan Palace myself. As soon as my BF and I got to Mexico airport we saw people wearing ?airport uniform? behind white counters, so we approached 1 of them and to inquiry tourist info (now that I think back I don't think it says ?information? anywhere; it just looked like one), he was very friendly and helpful, and after he answered all of our questions, he told us about Mayan Palace ?tour?. He told us that if we join this 90 min. tour we'd received nearly 50% discount on almost every single local tours they have available. We were told Mayan Palace is a new hotel that needs people to tour around and do a survey for them, therefore various discounts & breakfast are offered in this tour.

Since this took place inside the airport and we were at an ?info? booth, we thought this must be legit so we joined the ?tour?? but we were wrong, Mayan Palace is not a hotel at all, it?s a time-share resort organization. To make long story short, just go to www.google.com and type in "Mayan Escape" for more info. There are other websites that has messages posted by people who got scammed.

I will post a new message soon so I can get more people?s attention regarding this matter!

For people who think they?ve already got scammed, go to this website:

http://www.profeco.gob.mx/html/consu....htm#attention

I hope this will help!