yucatan itinerary

Old Nov 1st, 2005, 06:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yucatan itinerary

my wife and i will have our 25th anniversary in the yucatan in feb'06 - we are thinking to stay in isla mujeres for a couple of days, get a car and drive to merida, stay there for a day, visit the ruins for a day, get over to tulum for a day or two on the coast and back to cancun airport and home - is this too much in too short a time? and where should we get the car? also, looking for upper nice hotel but don't need 4-star, any suggestions?
Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 07:18 AM

not sure if you've heard that there was a catastrophic hurricane there? Poor Isla got hit hard, and I'm not sure if it even has electricity yet. Feb '06 will be a judgement call about visiting there, I'd advise you to read about what's been happening in the area...
Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 07:36 AM
Original Poster

yeah, thanks - i've been watching the news and tracking the chat on-line and it seems they're digging out and cleaning up - with the exception of cozumel, the other places sound as if they'll be up and running in a couple months - for example, here's an email i got from a hotel in isla:
"Thank you for your email, Isla Mujeres in general is fine, the palapas-thatch roofs are broken or gone, all the wood constructions are damaged, but most of the hotels, bussiness and homes are made of block and concrete, so there was no damage to those. The hotels are fine, some glasses broken, the 50% of the dock is damaged but we are repairing very fast, most of it is cleaning. The water company is pumping starting this past saturday, 1 week later which is very impresive, some areas of the island have electricity and most of the island will be ready by Nov. 20. We had plenty of supplies and water in our tanks and the city has being distributing food and water very well, I heard the news yesterday and, like always, they are making everything sound much worse than what it is,
*Car Ferries & Express Boats are running normal.
*Beach of Playa Norte still are beautiful as always.
* Restaurants will be open again on November,15,
The Hotel are not operating yet, we just are taking advantage of all this empty time in order to improve, cleaning very well the rooms, paintig and other little details to offer a better service, of course that if there you decide to come on February everything will be normal.
President Fox is making it being fixed very fast. We again thank you for your thoughts, we will be in touch..
Best Regards"
so, assuming thing'll be back close to 'normal', i was asking the above, in particular, should we concentrate on only 1 or 2 places in 7 to 8 days time frame?
Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 03:40 PM

Ditto to the reply from Frankie. Also depends on if you want to spend you time in a car or enjoying your surroundings. You might try going to Chichen Itza and staying at MayaLand. It's beautiful surrounded by Jungle and the staff there is great! Stay a couple of days then head towards Akumal or Tulum and enjoy the water and relaxation! Have fun and Happy Anniversay!
Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 05:54 PM

In '99 I took my first trip to Mexico, staying in Playa del Carmen, Coba, Chichen Itza and Isla Mujeres. I took the bus from Playa to Tulum one morning to tour the ruins -- half of a day is plenty. Coba is great if you're into Mayan ruins. At Chichen Itza I stayed at the Hacienda Chichen --beautiful plantation house surrounded by neat little bungalows for the guests and located just outside the back gate of the ruins. If you stay close to the ruins, you can wait to climb the pyramid until the buses take most of the throngs away. Isla Mujeres was interesting little island -- by the time I got there I "knew" 4 people on the island (met them in Coba, the top of the Chichen Itza pyramid and on the bus to the ferry to Isla)! Five years later I returned to Playa with my husband and he loved it so much we're going back in January. We're splitting out time in Playa and Akumal this time. Playa is only 45 minutes from the Cancun airport and convenient to the rest of the Mayan Riviera and Cozumel. In Playa there's good snorkeling just about a mile north of the pier. And Avenida 5 is good fun and only a block off the beach. If you split your 7 or 8 days between Playa and Chichen Itza you could easily get around by bus, no need to rent a car. Hope this helps!