Search

5 days in Yucatan - help planning!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14th, 2016, 09:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5 days in Yucatan - help planning!

Hi all,

I'm spending 5 days in the Yucatan next week (!!) and contrary to my usual self, I barely have anything planned. A bit nervous, so I would really appreciate your thoughts and recommendations!

About me - no knowledge of Spanish though I'm making an effort to learn a few phrases, solo female in my 20's, not planning on renting a car, have not traveled in Central or South America before.

This is my very very rough plan for the 5 days so far:

Day 1: I get to Cancun in the morning. So far, my plan is to take an ADO bus to Valledolid. I'll spend the day exploring Valledolid and checking into a hostel.
Day 2: ADO/colectivo to Chichen Itza; from there to Ek Balaam if time permits; Return to Valledolid
Day 3 and 4: This is where I'm most confused... Tulum and Playa del Carmen? Or should I try to make it to Merida? I realize it's far. Also open to two days at Tulum with a day trip to Coba. I don't swim so I took Akumal of the list. Please let me know if you have any recommendations for these days!
Day 5: Return to Cancun; just want to spend some time at the beach and really want to try parasailing or paragliding. If you have any company recommendations, much appreciated! Thinking of staying at an Airbnb.
Day 6: Leave early morning from Cancun

Thanks in advance for all your tips!
Old Dec 14th, 2016, 10:09 AM

If you have time on day1, explore one of the nearby cenotes to cool off (swimming ability not required). Valladolid has some great local shopping streets to wander around,
You don’t have time for Merida.
Two days in Tulum. The beach is great!
Do see both Coba and Ek Balam. The Sian Ka’an Biosphere and its Mayan canals to float are also fun.(You can use your boat life jacket to float on and water is not so deep you can’t stand up id needed.)
Playa del Carmen and Cancun (even the pueblo) may seem very crowded and touristy after where you’d already have been.
Old Dec 14th, 2016, 11:14 AM

Stay in Tulum, Playa del Carmen is too crowded for my taste although it does have some cheap lodging options.
If you are on a budget, you can stay in the pueblo and take a taxi to the beach (ADO does not go to the beach, neither does the colectivo) or you could rent a bike.
Go to Merida another time, it needs at least 3 days or more.
Old Dec 14th, 2016, 01:56 PM

I agree that you should save Merida for another time. It is a great city, but your trip is short and hopefully you will have many more opportunities to travel to the Yucatan. Tulum is a great place to spend some beach time - and the suggestion to stay in the pueblo if money is tight is a good one. I think there are still some no-frills places on the beach for a reasonable price, but this time of year is busy, so you might not find anything.
Old Dec 14th, 2016, 06:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much, @SambaChula, @jamie99 and @november_moon!

Decided on two nights in Valladolid and two nights in Tulum. This time of year definitely seems like a busy one for the hostels and hotels -- booked after much effort!

One more question! I was checking the ADO schedules on ado.com.mx to go from Tulum to Cancun. Only a handful of buses showed up, with the earliest around 10 am. Does that seem right? Are there other bus companies that might have earlier buses?
Old Dec 14th, 2016, 06:25 PM
kja

I think it might be hard to visit both Chichen Itza and Ek’ Balam on the same day, but you should have time for Chichen Itza and the Cenotes Dzitnup – stunning! Then visit Ek’ Balam the next day. BTW, I loved Valladolid – be sure to give yourself time to roam!

SambaChula’s recommendation to visit the Sian Ka’an Biosphere reserve is well worth considering. You might be able to arrange for them to pick you up in Tulum -- they did it for me!

And much as I loved Merida, I agree that it makes most sense to defer it for this particular trip.

BTW, I’m another solo female traveler and had a great time in the area – hope you do, too!
Old Dec 15th, 2016, 03:10 AM

Both recommendations stated here above (kja and samba) would also figure on my list of suggestions. The distances and time involved, and the fact that many of these sites close between 4and 5pm...
Old Dec 15th, 2016, 09:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, @kja and @rohelio! Question on the cenotes - will they have lockers to keep bags/clothes? Is it okay to just kinda leave on the side otherwise?

Someone else had mentioned taking a taxi and paying for them to wait, but that seemed excessive. What do you think?
Old Dec 15th, 2016, 10:28 AM

Depends on where you are taking the taxi to and from - I would not for example take a Playa del Carmen taxi to Tulum ruins and pay them to wait. For one thing there are tons of taxis at the ruins and along the beach road. For a second thing, the PDC taxis and the Tulum taxis are in two different unions and they do not get along at least they didn't in the past. Two years ago or so, there were disputes.
Old Dec 15th, 2016, 11:26 AM

"I was checking the ADO schedules on ado.com.mx to go from Tulum to Cancun. Only a handful of buses showed up, with the earliest around 10 am. Does that seem right? Are there other bus companies that might have earlier buses?"

What time is your flight?
We've always had a car, but you could look at ADO second class buses which might also do the route at different times, or book a transfer with USA or another well recommended service (maybe U$50 I've read). Or you might think of spending the last night in Puerto Morelos which is only 20 minutes from the airport (or maybe even in Cancun pueblo), and transfer or taxi would be cheaper (if no bus).

" Question on the cenotes - will they have lockers to keep bags/clothes? Is it okay to just kinda leave on the side otherwise? "
Fancier cenotes have lockers. Others have caretakers. Wouldn't worry about stuff, but wouldn't take valuables/electronics either.