Reload this Page >

Women traveling alone in Tulum Corridor

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26th, 2002, 09:53 AM
christy

My daughter and I (ages 15 and 55) are planning 1 week in March in the Isla Mujieres/Cozumel/Playa del Carmen/Tulum area. I have read some cautions about physical safety and women. We are looking for a Mexican experience not a resort experience. I read that Tulum may not have electricity at night and we both love to read in the evenings. We want to visit ruins(Chicken Itza by bus-day trip or spend a night?), nature reserves, snorkel, and amble around. We are not planning to rent a car. Is Cozumel considered safer than PDC? I read that Tulum is more off the well-beaten path (which appeals to us) but also read advice not to isolate oneself from tourist areas for safety reasons. . .Where can we stay to have a safer experience? We are definitely not looking for a party resort. Any recommendations on low-key but nice (perhaps $40-$80 range), safe destinations and accomadations? We arrive about 8:30pm in Cancun-any suggestions on where to head for our first night-we'll probably be tired from a long trip and it sounds like the ferries to IM and Cozumel may not run that late. <BR>Thanks,<BR> Christy

Old Dec 26th, 2002, 10:54 AM
Nancy

You will have a wonderful time!<BR>That whole region is very safe, but just to be on the conservative side, I would avoid traveling by car at night off the beaten path.<BR>Cozumel is EXTREMELY family-oriented and safe, but you should have no problems anywhere you've mentioned.<BR>I'd vote for the bus trip over driving to Chichen Itza. They are huge, comfy, fast buses with A/C.<BR>I would suggest you stay in Akumal.<BR>It's about halfway between Playa del Carmen and Tulum, and is a neat little beach town with wonderful snorkeling, some great restaurants, and a good jumping off point for all you want to do.<BR>During the off-season, there are gorgeous little 1 and 2 bedroom condos right on the beach with Mexican tile well within the price range you describe. <BR>Look at locogringo.com. Nice folks and great places to stay.<BR>For the first night, Playa del Carmen is not too far. (That's the only place you need to be careful at night - no walking alone on the beach or in isolated areas...) That would put you right there for the ferry should you decide to go to Cozumel in the morning.<BR>Oh, you are going to have SO much fun! <BR>My mother is gone now, and I would so loved to have been able to so something like this with her...

Old Dec 26th, 2002, 03:59 PM
YB

My husband and I are doing exactly that route next month. We found www.cancunmap.com contained excellent information of the area and great source for activities, restaurants and hotel options. Traveling in March/ April, you should be able to locate hotels or homestays between $20-40 easily. We found the collectivos (shuttle vans) that run the corridore (PDC-Tulum)very economical at 20-30 pesos each way. Or, the bus for half that..

Old Dec 26th, 2002, 04:50 PM
Susan

Christy, sounds like you'll have a great trip. <BR><BR>I don't think you'll have any trouble finding accommodation for $40 - $80. That seems like plenty. I usually look for something between $40 - $65.<BR><BR>One week isn't very much time so I don't think that I would move around a lot. We usually try to go for 2 weeks, although we did have 1 week in March of 2000. We spent 4 nights on Cozumel and then 3 nights in PDC. <BR><BR>Akumal is nice, but I don't know how practical it is to base yourself there. Nancy mentions condos on the beach, but I would be surprised if you could find something in your price range in March. That's not off season. Also I'm not sure how easy it is to get around there without a car. We've stayed in PDC and then rented a car for a day or 2 to go down to Akumal and points further south on day trips. Car rentals are not cheap though. <BR><BR>Isla Mujeres might be a good place for you, although once you're on the island, you tend to stay there. There is a later ferry to Isla Mujeres. I'm not sure of the time, but you would probably be able to make it. A good site for Isla is www.isla-mujeres.net. Lots of info on accommodation, the ferries, etc. <BR><BR>I don't find Playa del Carmen particularly 'dangerous' - you have to exercise caution anywhere you go, whether Mexico or elsewhere. The advantage to PDC is that you can easily make day trips from there, to Cozumel, Akumal, etc. <BR><BR>Tulum is much more developed now. On my first trip there, several years ago, we did have limited electricity - I think it was from 5 - 9 at night. I don't know if it's like that now - I kind of doubt it though. (If you're worried, bring one of those itty bitty book lights.) <BR><BR>If you do decide to go to Chichen Itza, it's a very long day trip. You'd be better off spending the night nearly. Valladolid is a nice town about 1/2 hour from Chichen Itza. <BR><BR>If you're concerned about getting somewhere your first night, you could always stay in Cancun. I don't like Cancun much, but we did spend a night there in transit. We had booked a hotel downtown - clean, modern and reasonably priced. You could then take the bus to PDC the next morning. <BR><BR>You'll have a great trip whatever you do.

Old Dec 27th, 2002, 05:50 AM
Carole

Hi Christy,<BR>I always spend some time alone during my trips to the Tankah/Tulum area since I arrive at least 1 week before my husband and stay 1 week after he leaves. I've also really enjoyed the time I have spent there with my daughters now and when they were younger. I have a villa in Tankah, 3 miles north of the Tulum ruins. Since you only have one week and plan to do a lot of traveling around I strongly suggest renting a car. This will save you a lot of time, you will probably feel more secure and this will enable you to get off the beaten path. I always make my car reservation from the states for pick up and return at the airport. I feel safe driving around alone and also at night. This way you can make the most of beach and exploring time and have your dinner at night after dark when it wouldn't be the greatest idea to way for the bus or collectivo. <BR><BR>Since your daughter is only 15 she will probably like spending 2 nights in Playa del Carmen, and you can take the ferry over to Cozumel for a day trip. You can take the late ferry back to Playa del Carmen that night. Really one day is enough in Coz unless you are a diver. Then I suggest spending the rest of your time in the Tankah/Tulum area, visit the Tulum ruins, Sian Ka'an Reserve and many cenotes in the area and enjoy the beach. There are a lot of great beach restaurants to eat and we love the town of Tulum, wonderful restaurants there too. For your last 2 days you can drive to Chichen Itza from Tulum, stay overnight then head back to the Cancun airport from there. This is a lot to do in one week, but renting a car will make it more doable.<BR><BR>If you want more info email me, I'll be glad to help. Here are a few other helpful web sites below.<BR><BR>If you would like to get off the beaten path, check out our beach front villa on a private 1/2 acre private property in the Tankah area. This is located 3 miles north of the famous ruins of Tulum, within driving distance to Chichen Itza, Coba and other archaeological sites. Also many beautiful cenotes in the area. <BR> http://CasaTropical.com or email [email protected] for more info <BR><BR>Other helpful web sites to visit:<BR>Weather http://www.wunderground.com/global/stations/76590.html <BR><BR>Weather Base (past weather history, temps, rainfall, etc.)<BR>http://www.weatherbase.com/weather/weatherall.php3?s=509567&amp;refer=<BR><BR>Hidden Worlds snorkel &amp; dive tours of cenotes<BR>http://hiddenworlds.com.mx/<BR><BR>Xel-Ha<BR>http://www.xelha.com.mx/<BR><BR>Aktun Chen <BR>www.aktunchen.com<BR><BR>Maps of Riviera Maya Can-do Maps <BR>http://WWW.cancunmap.com/<BR><BR> Check out this web site for tours lead by the Friends of Sian Ka'an group. It is a non-profit organization and tour guides are usually biologists. Very informative tours lead by a very worthwhile organization. <BR>Sian Ka'an Biosphere Reserve<BR>http://www.cancun.com/siankaan/<BR><BR>photo of tankah's cenote'<BR>http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smithsonian/issues98/apr98/diver_jpg.html<BR><BR>

Old Dec 27th, 2002, 10:21 PM
Deanna

I would second the idea of renting a car. We have traveled the region several times. One time was with my sister and daughter. You will have much more flexibility, can go to the beaches where and when you want. Do drive in the daytime and spring for a better, higher category car --- such as &quot;mid sized.&quot; If you book through one of the US companies, the pick-up at the Cancun airport is easy and you will be on your way! We stayed at the Mayaland Hotel in Chicken Itza and still count it as one of the best stays at any resort or hotel because of the beautiful accommodations (we were in a round &quot;hut&quot; with a thatched roof) and because of the location. There is a view of the &quot;observatory&quot; of the ruins from the front door of the lobby.<BR><BR>Enjoy! You'll have a great time.<BR>

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 11:46 AM
Kenster

Christie, you ought to plan at least a couple of nights in a cabana place along the beaches of Tulum. True, most of them have no electricity. I am a big reader and must read at night. I bought a clip on &quot;Itty Bitty Book Light&quot; that works perfectly for me. Also, when I return this summer I will be packing a couple of those battery powered &quot;pop lights&quot; that you can hang on a nail. You just push on the round white lens and the light comes on. Puts out a lot of light. I just bought a six pack of them at Walgreens for $5.00.<BR>Tulum as beautiful beaches. They are somewhat secluded but not isolated. You will be perfectly safe in &quot;most&quot; places. Like anywhere else, you have to use your head. For your situation I would not stay anywhere close to the ruins. The further south you get, the nicer the places. I have stayed at Cabanas Copal for a week during the last two summers and will be going back again in June. Their cabanas are very solid, but airy, allowing the sea breezes to flow through while still providing privacy and security. You can check them out at cabanascopal.com.<BR>All of the cabana places at Tulum are easily reached without a car. You can take the bus from Cancun or Playa to the town of Tulum. The taxi stand is right next to the bus station. A taxi will take you down to any of the beach cabana hotels for about $3.00. There are several good, moderately priced restaurants and a little grocery store within walking distance of Copal.<BR>Enjoy your stay and be sure to post a report here when you get back.

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 03:48 PM
deb

I am going to PDC with 6 adults and 5 children. We want to plan a day trip to Tulum and one to Cozumel. What is our best mode of travel and what should our agenda consist of? Primarily want beach time. Thanks

Old Mar 26th, 2003, 10:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Christy,<BR><BR>No worries. While traveling in Mexico you need to exercise the same caution as you would anywhere else. There is no electricity in the entire hotel zone of Tulum, however reading by candlelight or flashlight is more fun than using a light bulb! Don´t be put off by the lack of electricity. Look at it as an adventure. Try something different!
Old Mar 27th, 2003, 06:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I second Holly's remarks about reading by flashlight. For $25 bucks, I bought an &quot;Itty Bitty Book Light&quot; at Barnes and Nobles. An ultra-light plastic holder with bulb clips onto your book. Then there is about an six foot long cord that goes to the battery pack, which you can lay beside you so you don't have the weight of the batteries on your book. I got a convertible one that allows the light to be plugged into either the battery pack or regular household electricity.<BR>It was great sitting on the beach at Cabanas Copal in Tulum late at night with my own reading lamp!