Search

Where to stay in Roatan?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6th, 2011, 06:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to stay in Roatan?

I had almost planned a 2-weeks vacation next winter to Belize, when we found out that we will only be able to take 1 week off. So change of plans, we are going to Roatan instead. Hopefully Belize in 2013.

We are a couple in our mid 40s, and we do not care for night life, and I don’t think we would like an AI. Snorkeling from shore is #1 priority. We like privacy, we usually rent a villa when we go to the Caribbeans, and we would like to do the same in Roatan. The villa, bungalow, etc can be part of a resort but does not have to be, as long as it is in a safe area. We might or not rent a car, depending on where we will stay (we always do in the Caribbeans, for the flexibility it offers).

Clean rooms with screened windows and a porch with a view are mandatory. A/c maybe, too. A restaurant close by and/or a pool by would be nice, but not absolutely necessary. Nice grounds where I can do some early morning photography (flowers, birds, insects, etc) would be great, high on the wish list.

So, given this wish list, where do you recommend we should stay? Thanks a lot.
Old Mar 6th, 2011, 10:21 AM

We have stayed at West Bay Lodge the past three times we were in Roatan. It sounds like it has a lot of what you are looking for but not everything. It's walking distance to the beach with good snorkeling and there is a small rstaurant on site. They also have added a spa which is just wonderful. It only has about 7 bungalows so it might not be exactly what you are looking for. The owners are super helpful and have a driver to take you where you want to go.
Old Mar 6th, 2011, 10:52 AM
Original Poster

tt,
Thank you – actually, the WBL looks very nice. I like all the nature that surrounds it, but wish it was on the beach. It is a good possibility, though. And I like its small size.

The other property I am currently looking at (and I admit, I still have to read a lot about Roatan) is Coco View. Although geared for divers, it seems that it might be ok for snorkelers, too. We really like the over water bungalows
Barefoot Cay also looks nice…
Old Mar 7th, 2011, 08:17 AM
TC

We stayed at West Bay Village (St Mac's Villa) it is a sterling location for beach snorkeling. The reef out front is amazing. Great little houses, too.

http://www.westbayvillage.com/
Old Mar 7th, 2011, 11:28 AM

Cocoview would meet a lot of your requirements. We stayed there in March of 2008 and had a great week of diving. The reef is right in the "front yard" so I expect you'd enjoy good snorkeling as well. The food was good and plentiful, but not gourmet.

We wanted to stay in one of the overwater bungalows, but they were all booked. So we found out that Roatan Charters also rents a number of beach houses that are within the Cocoview compound. We stayed in Beachhouse Number 9, a somewhat rustic, two bedroon bulgalow, with a kitchen and great sreened porch. It was a few hundred yards from the resort - you could walk or use old bikes provided by the resort. If you didn't want to do the food plan, you could get provosioning and cook, but we chose the food plan so I can't really comment on how that'd work.

The grounds at Cocoview were lovely, nice flowering plants, hummingbirds, (and the occaisonal fruit bat).

A possible downside to Cocoview is that it is a little island, so to get back to Roatan, you need to take a short boat ride to get to a taxi or to your rental car. I think they went hourly. Not a big deal for us, because we dove daily and only toured Roatan on our "off-gassing" day.

Here's a link to our photos - page 5 shows the resort and the views from the bungalow we were in.
Old Mar 7th, 2011, 11:32 AM

Here's the link to photos:

http://travel.webshots.com/album/562819976FUWPmg
Old Mar 7th, 2011, 01:37 PM

Bookmarking.
Old Mar 7th, 2011, 05:41 PM
Original Poster

RumRita,
Coco View is on the short list of properties we are considering (great pictures, btw). Other options are Barefoot Cay and the general West Bay / Sandy Bay area. And although the snorkeling at West Bay sounds very good, they also get the cruise ships…
The only concern regarding Coco View is exactly the downside that you spoke of….And the fact that is mostly caters to divers…will we feel like second class citizens? Will we get bored? Any thoughts?

VG,
Funny, I tagged along your Belize posts…I think (I hope) we are going in 2013.
Old Mar 7th, 2011, 10:38 PM

Thanks for letting me tag along, xyz! Hope both your trips are great.
Old Mar 8th, 2011, 04:49 AM

The people at Cocoview were all very friendly, as snorkelers, I'm sure you'd fit in. People do somewhat tend to socialize with those they've spent time with on dive boats, but I don't think you'd feel "second class." It would be a great place if you wanted mostly privacy and time to spend with nature and relax.

We passed Barefoot Key and its definitely a step up in luxury from Cocoview, nicer, newer accomodations and pool etc. You'd still have the little island issue to contend with though and when we were there - not so many mature trees as Cocoview - so not as much privacy from your immediate neighbors on the Key. Cocoview land area is bigger - much more spread out for exploring the grounds.

I think it might come down to how much time you like exploring town, shopping, trying new restauarants for dinner. If those are priorities then West Bay/Sandy bay will win out. With both Cocoview and Barefoot Cay being Islands, it will take more effort/planning to get out and go to town.
Old Mar 8th, 2011, 04:12 PM
Original Poster

RumRita,
Thanks for coming back with more details – Coco View really sounds wonderful, and I am glad to hear about their grounds. I enjoy nature photography, and constantly in search of flowers, birds, insects and other photo subjects. It seems that Coco View can offer some of that, right?

We basically want to relax, snorkel, enjoy the water and the sun, nothing fancy. We generally rent a villa and cook our dinners, which we enjoy with a bottle of wine listening to the surf. The extra step in luxury and the pool at Barefoot Cay sound very nice, but I don’t think we want to give up our privacy and the more extensive grounds.

I keep looking, wondering about getting bored at Coco View, but then, I come back…really hard to decide.