Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Can you snorkel from Hamanasi Resort's beach?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6th, 2007, 02:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi!

We are thinking about spending our honeymoon (18 nights)in Belize. The Hamanasi Resort looks great! Can you snorkel from the beach in front of the resort?

If not, does anyone know of a great place in Belize where we can? We don't like big places - something secluded with good food and soft beds!
Old Nov 6th, 2007, 03:01 PM

You can really only snorkel from shore from a few of the more southerly islands and the outer atolls. Check out Isla Marisol:
http://www.islamarisolresort.com/index.php

We stayed at it's cheap neighbor, Glover's Atoll Resort, which wouldn't meet your other qualifications (barely a step above camping, no elec or running water). The atoll is fabulous, though.

Congratulations and happy trails!
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 03:08 AM

Hamanasi is lovely, but you can't snorkel from shore, but can on the reef about 10 miles from shore. You can snorkel form shore on South Water Caye, Glovers and Turneffe atolls, Ranguana, amongst a few others.
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 08:43 AM

We are going to Hamanasi Resort in January but not for our honnymoon butour 40th wedding anniversary.
They say, and in a communication I verified, that they go out every day weather permitting in a dedicated snorkel boat for 4 hours to different spots. Since they are out that long I am pretty sure it is to places on the reef but I should have asked that question.
I wonder if 18 days at any one place is maybe too long. Have you thought about splitting it with say Roatan or Utila, Honduras. On Roatan we stayed at Anthony's Key Resort in a Superior cabin with A/C on the "Key" # 48-52 are best. While the snorkeling is similar it is not the same. They go out 2 times a day for 2 hours each to small reef patches. We like it having vbeen there 3 times. It is like Hamanasi in that meals are included and it is about the same price. The food is hearty to good.
Old Nov 8th, 2007, 11:20 AM

We honeymooned right next door to Hamanasi (Almond Beach/Jaguar Reef- a nice resort as well). A decent amount of seagrass washes up on the beach in that area and snorkeling right off the beach isn't really possible if you want to see fish and coral. The reef, however, is amazing and completely worth the boat ride out. (40 minutes?)

I second the idea of not staying in one place the whole time. There are very few places to eat in Hopkins so you could get tired of the food. Belize is a pretty small country so y'all should definately check out the ruins and the cave tubing since they are day trips from most places. Both were great experiences.
Old Nov 8th, 2007, 04:42 PM

The reef is closest to Ambergris Caye (less than a mile off shore)
Old Aug 10th, 2009, 09:52 AM

You can't go from the beach, but they send out several snorkeling trips a day. The staff are wonderful and the snorkeling is world-class, about a 30 minute boat trip.