Snorkeling south side of Roatan

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28th, 2010, 07:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've read a lot about Coco View Resort on the south side of Roatan, but my husband I think we prefer to rent a beach house a few inlets east of that resort which provides kayaks. Is supposed to be great snorkeling in front of the beach house, but I would like to know if all Roatan shorelines are open to the public, including those at Coco View Resort. To experience snorkeling in front of their resort, can we kayak over there, perhaps tie our kayaks to their pier or rest them on shore, and snorkel the reefs in that vicinity? I know Coco View offers guest passes for around $10., but if we are only snorkeling in the waters out front and not using their facilities, why pay for a guest pass.---So....any avid snorklers familiar with the island "rules" out there?
Old Jan 29th, 2010, 08:49 AM

I can't help with the rules, though I've enjoyed diving and snorkeling on the south side. You might want to check out the Scuba Board/Bay Islands forum, since Coco View is one of the most talked about resorts. Be sure to search 1st before you ask:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/bay-islands/

Have a great trip and be sure to tell us all about it!
Old Jan 30th, 2010, 07:06 AM

You don't mention where the house is. If you are in First Bight, then following the reef along past the Playa Miguel Beach House rentals to CoCo View as well as the reef and beach at Fantasy Island should not be much of a problem for anyone with kayaking experience and in good physical condition. If your "inlet" is further away than that, you might be putting yourself in peril - fighting the wind and seas trying to get back. Expect a 15 to 20 knot trade wind from the south-southeast, with whitecaps breaking over the reef most of the year.
Old Jan 30th, 2010, 11:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies. We were thinking of renting a house off First Bight, but now I'm totaling confused on what to do. I don't want to be too isolated and would love a little pampering from a resort, but most of them on the south side cater to divers. I like what Barefoot Cay Resort has to offer as far as food and accomodations better than Coco View, but not sure if the nearby reef(swim to)is as good as the off shore snorkeling in front of Cocoview. And, yes, I am concerned about their unpredictable winds and choppy waters. We really enjoyed snorkeling off shore on St. John and especially Bonaire(beautiful coral and marine life), but that may have changed since their last hurricane(2008?). I just cannot find a list of many Roatan off shore snorkeling entries on websites or forums. Roatan would be a costly trip coming from Colorado and want to be sure it's relaxing, fun, great snokeling and not way over the budget with extra costs for their taxis or car rental(jeep rental is higher and more practical if we want to explore). Ho hum... I just became a member of Scubaboard. Will see what comes forth there. Thanks.
Old Jan 30th, 2010, 05:00 PM

Have you considered Mango Creek Resort? We stayed there in 2006 and my husband enjoyed flyfishing, I dove with Reef House Resort a bit west of there, and we both loved the snorkeling. We didn't snorkel from shore but they'll take you out anytime you want and the guide was fantastic, spotting loads of fascinating things we might have missed without him, Randy, maybe? The over the water cabins are gorgeous - lots of beautiful wood carvings and hand made furniture, and the food was excellent. I've pasted their weblink and the link to our photos and travelogues below (2006). Happy trails!

http://www.mangocreeklodge.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections
Old Jan 31st, 2010, 01:46 PM
Original Poster

Hopefulist, I looked at the websites and loved seeing your pictures, but Port Royal is further east than we want to be. Really nice cabanas at Mango Creek Lodge though. Thanks for sharing your vacation photos.----I think we will probably go with a house rental thru Cocoview Resort or one off First Bight and make a couple trips to West End Bay for a little pampering ---dinner, lunch, and/or a tropical drink.
Old Jan 31st, 2010, 02:25 PM

Sounds good - I hope you post a travelogue!!