Notices

Where to stay in Roatan

Feb 26th, 2011, 12:07 PM
Original Poster

Where to stay in Roatan

I'll be traveling to Honduras for some humanitarian work in June and I want to take a few days to relax and snorkel in Roatan afterward with my husband. I am torn between staying near the West end so we have access to a variety of restaurants (we don't really care much about clubs and bars though) and going somewhere more quiet elsewhere that has a variety of good food in their own restaurant. Snorkeling will be our main activity, but we also enjoy nature and will take a day trip or two somewhere to go hiking or see other sites. Since my accommodations will be basic and casual on the mainland, I'd like something a little nicer on Roatan. Any recommendations?
Feb 26th, 2011, 04:21 PM

Hi koala,
We stayed in Cocolobo, which I highly recommend. It is a short walk to the beach, but is in a super quite location and you can leave your doors open at night to hear the waves crash on the Iron Shore.
If you get a chance while you are there, try to spend a few nights in Copan -- we actually found spending our days among the ruins more relaxing than the beach. Flavia and her team at Hacienda San Lucas will welcome you and make you feel right at home.
Feb 26th, 2011, 06:17 PM

Bookmarking.
Feb 26th, 2011, 08:16 PM

I have lived here for 3.5 years and am originally from near Toronto. We have become closely connected with with the local community here on the West End of the island. We are very familiar with Cocolobo as our best friends who are also from the same area in Canada run it and we are often there to help them at their bar when they have special events going on. It is a highly recommended place to stay. I would (and I'm sure our friends from Cocolobo would agree) recommend, based on your description of the ideal location, West Bay Lodge. It is owned and operated by some friends of ours as well (Celeste and Milos) and it perfectly fits what you have described.
drummerDave
Feb 27th, 2011, 04:14 AM

www.anthonyskey.com best of breed...
Feb 27th, 2011, 03:24 PM

We have happily stayed three times at West Bay Lodge. It isn't right on the water but a close walk.
The owners are wonderful people and extremely helpful.
They have added a spa which is heavenly. My girlfriends could have done a commerical for them. They looked ten years younger after their treatment. They also have a driver who is generally available to take you where you need to go.

I will also second Hacienda San Lucas. It is such a beautiful and relaxing place. Make sure you have the dinner as it's delicious.
Mar 11th, 2011, 01:06 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the input. I'll look into West Bay Lodge. I had looked at Cocolobo too, so good to know that you recommend it.

I will be near Copan with a group of student volunteers, so Hacienda San Lucas likely won't be in their price range.
Mar 17th, 2011, 09:54 AM

Got back from Roatan on Tuesday. You will not be disappointed in the snorkeling. The BEST I have ever seen.

We stayed at Infinity Bay. While I loved the condos and the area, the sand flies were awful. Totally turned me off to staying there again. Some people don't mind it but when they land on my food I'm totally grossed out.

Have fun!
Mar 22nd, 2011, 09:04 AM

West Bay Lodge would be ideal.
Jul 14th, 2011, 11:41 AM
Original Poster

So we opted to stay at Infinity Bay and Barefoot Cay. If I could do it again, I would have spent more time at Barefoot Cay and less at Infinity Bay just based on the service, but both filled their purpose for me and I would recommend them both. See my trip report below.

http://www.fodors.com/community/mexi...ras-roatan.cfm

Search this Thread