Roatan hotel recommendations

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19th, 2008, 01:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roatan hotel recommendations

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a hotel on Roatan?
I'm planning a trip there at the beginning of January with my Mom. We would like to do some snorkling (I will most likely do scuba also). I'm a bit hesitant about resorts because they seem to be 'far' from West Bay and West End. But what do you think?

What are some of your thoughts on West Bay vs. West End. Do you think we would need to rent a car? (if yes, what company to use?)

Thanks!
Cassie
Old Oct 19th, 2008, 03:40 PM

I don't know what type of accommodations you prefer, but a few years ago I stayed at Bananarama Dive Resort on West Bay Beach. It is fairly basic, but they do have a dive center. I think it's under new ownership now. Here is the web address if you care to check it out:

http://www.bananaramadive.com/

There is good snorkeling right off the beach and you can walk to many restaurants along the beach. West End is a fairly long walk along the beach, but it's doable. There is a ferry service between West End and West Bay Beach. You could walk into town and take the ferry back if you don't feel like walking both ways.
Old Oct 19th, 2008, 03:54 PM

Cassie,
Take a look at West Bay Lodge. We stayed there in Feb. and are going back in April. It might be just perfect for you and your Mom. It's just walking distance to the beach where there is great snorkeling. The owners are great ( look at the reviews on trip advisor.. they are really that nice) and can help set you up with tours ect. You Mom would be perfectly content staying there while you scuba. She can sit on the front porch of her bungalow and read a book or just relax. Some of the units have little kitchens and they just put in a pool. West Bay is beautiful. Enjoy your trip with your Mom.
Old Oct 20th, 2008, 04:19 AM

West Bay Lodge is actually in West End isn't it?
We're thinking of going at Xmas & it looks like a sweet spot. Also Posada Arco Iris or one of Chillies Cabins.
I believe West End Village would be more our style. I know the beach is better in West Bay but was concerned about staying there with cruise shippers, scads of beach chairs lined up, the big resort & condo complex....

Is Half Moon Bay ok to swim? Or is it totally filled with seagrass? Thanx!
Old Oct 20th, 2008, 12:34 PM

www.anthonyskey.com

www.bibr.com

best places best diving...
Old Oct 20th, 2008, 03:37 PM

I would highly recommend West Bay over the West End. The beach is much nicer, the snorkelling is second to none and it has a very relaxing atmosphere. I wouldn't recommend staying at West Bay Lodge. It's set quite a ways back from the beach, so something as simple as needing to go to the bathroom while laying on the beach turns into a bit of a jaunt. The places right on the beach (Bananarama etc.) are the same price and are right on the beach.
Old Oct 20th, 2008, 03:51 PM

West Bay Lodge is in West Bay. I would also choose West Bay over West End. It is really beautiful and it's very easy to get to the West End. You can easily take a water taxi. We didn't really seem to have any problems or issues with the cruise ship crowd. We stay pretty active and aren't really ones to lay on the beach so they didn't bother us a bit. Alot of them take day tours so that lessens the number that are on the beach. It's all good! Enjoy
Old Mar 14th, 2009, 03:00 PM

Hi Cassie,
Just curious... so where did you and your mom end up staying? trying to plan a trip for May and was looking at West Bay...
Thanks!