Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Hotel Recommendation for solo traveler in West Bay area of Roatan Honduras?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15th, 2009, 10:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Everyone - I am planning on a trip to Roatan in late October and have been doing some research on hotels. I am leaning towards either Las Rocas or West Bay Lodge but I am open to any other suggestions. I am looking at mid-range hotels that is close to/on the beach, access to snorkeling/diving and love the idea of having a deck with a hammock (both the hotels I listed do) and would also like to have at least a bar/restaurant on-site. If there is a pool that would be great too! Any recommendations?
Old Aug 15th, 2009, 10:42 AM

I have stayed at West Bay Lodge on both of our trips to Roatan. I don't know anything about Las Rocas so I can't comment on that. West Bay Lodge has always worked out great for us. It is close to the water, they serve breakfast and lunch and they do have a pool. The best thing about this place is the owners. They really go above and beyond. This year when we visited my 17 year old neice was ill. Celeste on of the owners offered to sit with her while we went out to eat. Although I didn't take her up on the offer I would have felt competely comfortable doing so. They also have snorkel gear to rent and can set you up with tours if you wish. Enjoy your trip to Roatan. It's beautiful
Old Aug 16th, 2009, 01:24 PM

A few years ago I stayed at Bananarama on West Bay Beach. I believe it has been recently sold and renovated, but you could check it out and see if it meets your needs.

http://www.bananaramadive.com/
Old Aug 17th, 2009, 06:02 AM
Original Poster

ttraveler - thank you, it sounds like West Bay Lodge may be just the perfect place for me! How close is the actual beach? I noticed that you said they serve breakfast/lunch but did not mention dinner. Does the restaurant not serve dinner?

Brian - thank you for including the link. I've heard of that resort too and will be sure to check it out.
Old Aug 17th, 2009, 05:14 PM

West Bay Lodge isn't on the beach but it is a less then five minute walk and the beach is beautiful. There is great snorkeling right off the beach. The restarant doesn't serve dinner but there are a lot of places right on the beach that you can get something at. The Thirsty Turtle is right down the road from WB and we had a pretty good lunch there. Their is also a new little stand that sells iced coffee/tea ect.. Across the road from WBL is a little deli if you just want something light.
I think you will really enjoy your stay there. Celeste also organizes a trip to the crab races for the people staying at the lodge. I believe it's on Thursday nights.
Have fun.
Old Aug 21st, 2009, 05:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks ttraveler.

What time of year were you in Roatan? Over the past couple of days I've had three separate people caution me against going in late October due to heavy rain, washed out roads, canceled flights, etc.. I know it's when they get the most rain but didn't think it would be too bad. Have you (or anyone else reading this post) ever been that time of year?
Old Aug 21st, 2009, 07:52 AM

I have not been there in Oct.. just Feb and April. Why don't you e-mail West Bay Lodge and see what they have to say. You could also look up past posts on trip advisor to see if anyone complains about the weather during that time. It's just so hard to predict weather. We went to Nicaragua the end of Oct.and as soon as we arrived we were told that it had been raining everyday.. it cleared up that day and we had perfect weather the whole week except for a little rain one day. Enjoy
Old Sep 3rd, 2009, 07:37 AM

October is the start of rainy season...weather is anyone's guess...I've been there when it's supposed to be dry and it's wet and vice versa. As far as lodging is concerned....West Bay Lodge is not where the action is. If you want to be around people you need to stay right on West Bay Beach. I would chose Bananarama over WBL as it is on the beach...has a bar/restaurant and more people gather there. That way in the evening you can walk up and down the beach to other bars and restaurants. WBL is great...I know Celeste and she treats her guests fantastic, serves a wonderful breakfast...but it is not in the best location especially for a single traveler. You want to be where the action is.