where to stay in Puerto Vallarta??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6th, 2006, 07:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, we are planning to get married(small ceremony) and honeymoon in Puerto Vallarta. We both have never been there before and have heard such great things about it, especially on this site. We are having trouble deciding on which resort will be the best for us. We are looking at Premiere Villa Resort, Casa Veja Resort,the Westin Resort and are open to hearing about any others. We would like the feeling of a rustic(authentic)boutique hotel combined with luxuary...we would like a room with a jacuzzi or plunge pool in our room/deck. We are looking to have privacy, not in a family oriented type of hotel and would like to be near the restaurants, shops, activities, etc. Does anyone know of a hotel as I described? Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Thanks
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 07:51 AM

<b>We are looking at Premiere Villa Resort, Casa Veja Resort,the Westin Resort and are open to hearing about any others. We would like the feeling of a rustic(authentic)boutique hotel combined with luxuary</b>

Familiar with the Westin and can safely say that it is NOT &quot;a rustic(authentic)boutique hotel&quot; ... dunno about the others mentioned.

Bill
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 07:59 AM

If you wish to be within walking distance of shops, restaurants, etc., book in the Zona Romantica.
Avoid Nuevo Vallarta it is very far from Puerto Vallarta proper.
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 08:06 AM

the Premiere sounds closer to your needs than the Westin.
Also, PV has a lot of great villas for rent:
Check out mexicandestinations.com for some beautiful properties.
El Careyes, a hotel on the Costa Alegre, a couple of hours south of PV might also be worth looking at...
Happy Travels.
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 08:23 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
How about www.casaisabelpv.com?

As mentioned neither Villa Premiere or the Westin Hotel are what I'd call rustic or authentic. I'm not sure who all offers a private pool or jacuzzi. If you haven't you might want to post or read over on Trip Advisor also.
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 08:54 AM

I think Suze has a great idea. CasaIsabel looks really nice, and in a good location.
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 11:28 AM

Here's another interesting place:
www.quinta-maria.com

One thing I can guess you will run into is that &quot;rustic (authentic)&quot; boutique hotels likely do not feature private jacuzzi or plunge pools in my experience. Not that you won't be able to find something, but that requirements definitely narrows down your options.
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 09:04 PM

Congratulations!! You will love Puerto Vallarta. My daughter and I stayed at Premiere Villa Resort several years ago while she was on a spring break from college. It was perfect for us - it is adults only, all-inclusive, beautiful rooms - we had a suite with a king bedroom and a living room and balcony overlooking the ocean. There were 2 restaurants at that time and we found plenty on the menus to enjoy. The downtown area, which is wonderful(!), was within walking distance, but it was not right next door. Taxis are inexpensive and the doorman will whistle one for you in a heartbeat. Shopping downtown was lots of fun - we managed to splurge on some silver jewelry. At the time we were there Premiere had relationships with a couple other resorts, one right next door where one could also go for dinner, plus another one farther out where one could play golf. We booked our trip through MLT vacations and they had a person at the hotel who would help with local tours - we took advantage of several. We also did opt to have dinner in town one evening, just to sample the local restaurants and had an outstanding meal. Puerto Vallarta is a real city, not a &quot;made for tourists&quot; community, with much history and pride. The beach is beautiful, and one can even walk along it to get into town. The highlight of our trip was watching a couple who was staying in the hotel get married on the beachfront at sunset - this was an event they had planned, but had not told their families about, and their &quot;guests&quot; were people they had met around the pool. I would not say that the hotel is rustic - it is more modern and slick, but I think that is true of most of the newer hotels there. There might be a rustic hotel in the heart of town, but I don't think you would have a beach. Enjoy your stay and I wish you much happiness.
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 09:17 PM

I forgot to mention that I believe there are honeymoon suites with balcony jacuzzis - enjoy! And no, I do not own stock in Premiere - just had a great experience there.
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 09:36 PM

After weeks of searching for a villa and lots of run arounds by various agents in P.V., we got hooked up with Casa Helga. She is based out of Connecticut but have a home in P.V. and have been renting villas in the area for several years.
She is the most professional person I've encountered and on her website, there are villas up to 10 bedrooms and she can help with all kinds of arrangements.

we ended up renting a 3 bedroom beachfront villa complete with cook and maid service AND a driver for this coming weekend and I can't wait!
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 08:32 AM

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding. If you are looking for a boutique the Westin or the Premiere is not what you are looking for. I don't know what your budget is but if you can afford it try looking at Casa Obelisco it is very small only has a few rooms. It is located outside of P.V. a little town called San Poncho, you can have company if you want if you want to be alone that's fine also. Go to trip advisor and check it out. I have not been, but if you read the reviews people who have traveled to P.V. couldn't wait to go back to the way P.V. used to be. I am looking forward to going there someday. Good Luck.
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 09:28 AM

The Ritamore on Matamoros is a lovely &quot;boutique&quot; Inn high in the PV hills directly above downtown a couple of blocks up on the street behind the church. Gorgeous rooms &amp; pool. Near the Los Cuatro Vientos Inn which is a PV institution as the second oldest hotel in PV after the Roserita. Los Cuatro while lovely is not luxurious in any sense of the word. The Rita is!
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 11:07 AM

San Pancho is quaint, but if you stay that far away from PV you must have a rental car in order to properly experience Puerto Vallarta Central which takes more than one day. During high season the traffic is a nightmare. San Pancho is about 25 minutes north of the airport. There is work being done on two bridges South of the airport and it is a real traffic tie up. If you want to experience Puerto Vallarta Centro I recommend staying closer than San Pancho and take a day trip to that area via one day rental car or bus or taxi.
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 01:54 PM

Congratulations on your marriage!

I have spent a considerable amount of time these past five years living in Puerto Vallarta. Allow me to share with you my views.......First, Puerto Vallarta (PVR) is a wonderful destination for anyone, but especially for a honeymoon couple. It is a real Mexican city that combines the best of the old and traditional with the new and contemporary.

As others have pointed out, the area north of the airport is known as Nuevo Vallarta (New Vallarta). It is a very nice area filled with upscale international resort hotels. It could be Cancun, or Miami, or Ft. Lauderdale, or any one of many Caribbean resorts. It is NOT PVR! The Mexican ambience is contrived and artificial.....

South of the airport is known as the hotel zone. That about says it all --- hotel after hotel lining pretty sand beaches, but much like Nuevo Vallarta --- just closer to the real PVR.

Downtown Puerto Vallarta and south of downtown (Zona Romantica) are the real thing. The center of downtown is the old town square fronting the beautiful old cathedral that you see on every advertisement for PVR. That area is the heart of the original city that dates to the late 1800's. Zona Romantica is an extension to the downtown just south of the Rio Cuale (Cuale River) that runs right through the valley, through downtown, and into the Bay of Banderas.

I strongly urge you to stay in this part of town, and one of the nicest places you could possible opt for is the Hacienda San Angelo (www.haciendasanangelo.com) It is a traditional, upscale, boutique hotel set on a small hillside overlooking downtown, the river, and the bay. It is a short walk from the multitude of authentic restaurants and cafes that fill the Zona Romantica (Romantic Zone). It is a short walk from the Malecon (oceanfront boardwalk) and the lovely Los Muertos Beach where you can spend the day under an umbrella or palm palapa sipping fruity drinks served by waiters who fan out onto the sand from the beachfront restaurants (there is no charge to use the chairs or umbrellas --- just buy a drink, water, lunch, etc.)

So, my advice is to take a look at Hacienda San Angelos and definitely stay in the authentic downtown and Zona Romantica area (there are no upscale beachfront hotels in this part of town, but it is not necessary to be right on the sand). Enjoy!
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 03:35 PM

Correct address is
http://www.haciendasanangel.com/
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 04:08 PM

Mark-

PVR is the airport code, not the abbreviation for the town.