Where is the best sportfishing?

Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 03:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where is the best sportfishing?

Well, we still havn't left for CR and yes, I'm still trying to decide where to stay. We had to change our dates 3 times because of various reasons and now I am about to lose my mind. Because it's getting so late and we are planning on going in mid-july (this time), I am having trouble finding a place to stay in Arenal (which was originally going to be for 3 or 4 nights). So now I am thinking of skipping Arenal and going west to the coast. I had planned on my son and husband going on a fishing charter anyway and they could go from there instead of Quepos area where we were planning on going after Arenal. Of couse now it would be a longer haul to get to Quepos/MA area from Dominical area. But what I am wondering now is...if the sportfishing is better off the northpacific coast or jaco area or Dominical or Golfito area (now we're getting way down there)? Or if there is really any difference as far as marlin and sailfish are concerned? I would REALLY like for them to be able to get a great catch as I think that would be the highlight for them. This trip is more desired by my 19 yr old daughter and myself than my husband and 17 yr old son so I want them to be able to do what they want most. They just got back from Cabo area in Mexico and didn't do too well on their fishing there. My husband caught a 80-90 lb striped marlin which isn't quite as big as he dreamed. We've been teasing him asking him where the mama is? He released it of course. Anyway, being that we will have about 10 days, and 4-5 of those are going to be in MA area, I am flexible on the other days and areas but of course don't want to driving all over the country! Thank you all so much for the help!
Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 05:46 PM
Original Poster

Sorry, just noticed my typo. I meant longer distance between TAMARINDO and Quepos, NOT Dominical and Quepos.
Old Jun 4th, 2005, 04:24 AM

Just back from Quepos and Puerto Jimenez. I fished at both places. I was lucky and got a 120 lb. sail out of Quepos and a 50 lb. dorado out of PJ. It is not the best fishing right now, but there are fish to be had. Jan.-Apr. are the best months.
Old Jun 4th, 2005, 05:35 AM

beena, I recall reading several recent trip reports where people had experienced excellent fishing out of the Quepos/MA area. So certainly that would be a good choice for your guys.

We fished out of Puerto Jimenez in Feb this year while splitting a trip between Bosque del Cabo and Iguana Lodge. This was a wonderful trip. You may want to contact the boat captain we used - Mike Hennessy of Cabo Matapalo Sportfishing - www.cabo-matapalo.com
Old Jun 5th, 2005, 12:27 AM
Original Poster

dxrx-thanks alot for the fishing report and congrats on your catch! My husband would be happy to catch a 120 sailfish! They throw them back though don't they?
dfarmer-yes, I will go to the website and check it out. PJ is quite a ways down from Quepos though isn't it? I wonder if there is a website that has updated fishing reports of the areas. Thanks again, Tina
Old Jun 5th, 2005, 04:45 AM

Tina, yes PJ is in the Southern tip of the Osa. I through that on in, since you mentioned Golfito which is just across the bay from PJ. You can fly into PJ on a domestic flight.

Yes, CR supports catch and release. We caught Marlin, Tuna and Sailfish, as well as Dorado (Maui Maui) which we took back to Bosque for the chef to prepare for dinner.
Old Jun 5th, 2005, 04:46 AM

Lordy what terrible spelling - I mean "I threw that one in"!!!
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 02:09 AM
Original Poster

LOL! Thanks, dfarmer for the tips! (glad I didn't typo that one!)