Lapa Rios

Old Mar 26th, 2004, 11:56 AM
fae
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lapa Rios

Has anyone been to Lapa Rios recently? We were there Aug. 2000 and are considering going back this summer but would like to hear from anyone that has been in the past year. Thanks so much.
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 01:17 PM
z

It is nice but there are so many more beautiful places to visit on Osa. Do search under Bosque del Cabo and some mentioned here Bosque de Tigre. I never stayed at the Tigre but Lapa Rios once is enough. We were in Lapa Rios in the end of July 2003. Why is this place so expensive? You get more for less at the Bosque del Cabo
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 02:09 PM

Haven't stayed recently and have no intention of ever staying there again. Bosque del Cabo is so much nicer. I spent about 2 weeks time down on the Osa (Puerto Jimenez on up to Carate) this year and kept seeing people who used to work at Lapa Rios. Since Karen and John split up, the place has either been sold or is just being run by 4 guys in some management group and the help is bailing like crazy. There is a lot of disaccord between the managers and nobody is happy. I heard this from several different people who had worked there. One of them just loved Karen like a mother. I would try Bosque del Cabo. It is just up the road on the actual point and the views are so much better as well as the grounds. The cabinas are all individual not duplex like LR. The pool is nicer, etc. After having been to LR I could not figure out why they were so highly rated.
Old May 28th, 2004, 07:41 AM

Just thought I clarify some things that were said about Lapa Rios by Suzie2 and "z". I actually work at Lapa Rios in the management and while it is true that the rates are not exactly cheap, the guests leave the lodge very happy and satisfied (just like you did in August 2000). We have been helping John and Karen in management since 1999 and turnover of our staff is very low. But most importantly is what we are doing in terms of nature conservation and community development. That is what Lapa Rios is really about. We have received the highest certification on our sustainability efforts by the Costa Rican Government last year and for the third time made the Conde Nast Gold List. I invite you to take a closer look at Lapa Rios and should you have any questions, feel free to e-mail me at [email protected].
Old Jun 1st, 2004, 05:34 PM

Cayuga,

Thanks for posting. I actually changed my booking from Lapa Rios to Bosque del Cabo months before our arrival because I was concerned about all the up/down stairs. I booked through an agency who could put in a request for a unit without a lot of steps, but there was no guarantee. As it happens, I guess I am lucky that I switched because I broke a bone in my foot in Manuel Antonio (our first stop, second day of the trip) which was very painfull and would have made almost any steps impossible. We had a great time at Bosque del Cabo, and also saw Lapa Rios guests out on the bird watching experiences and they certainly seemed a happy lot. I'm sure they are both great places. I do hope you continue to monitor this board and answer questions of those who are interested in this area of the Osa.

Kathy
Old Nov 8th, 2004, 12:31 PM

I stayed at Lapa Rios last april for 4 days and thought it is heaven on earth. My wife who isn't a nature person thought it was absolutley spectacular!!!