Search

trip report- one month in CR

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3rd, 2004, 01:35 PM
mad
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
trip report- one month in CR

we just returned from a wonderful month in CR. we kind of winged it and it worked out perfectly. keep in mind this was our second time there, so we didn't do any of the typical tourist stuff.
first, i have to say that Neta, who owns Finca Que Ama (a beautiful hotel about an hour and half from San Jose) is one of the most helpful and thoughtful people I've ever met. Without knowing me, she helped us arrange for a rental car from a local Tico in the area of her hotel- this made our trip!
We started our trip at her hotel, which has opened earlier this year. It's a beautiful place in the mountains, with amazing food and service. A perfect place to recuperate after our flight to CR.
From there we drove, quite unexpectedly, to Playa Samara (the roads dictated where we ended our drive!). I was shocked, as this beach town gets little to no attention in travel books. It's the perfect place to learn to surf, as the surf is manageable. There is a cute little town with a variety of good restaurants. We couldn't have asked for more, for the relaxing trip we were looking for atleast.
When we got there, we couldn't find anyplace to stay that we thought we could deal with for a whole month (everyplace for the most part is made for the budget traveller). However, we stumbled across a new property that wasn't even finished yet. It's a small group of villas built by an Italian couple called Villas Kalimba. When they're all completed it will be about $100 a night- what a value! This place consists of 5 beuatifully built villas with 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms and a kitchen, with A/C and TV. It's across the street from the beach and also has a beatiful swimming pool. I can't say enough about this place and it's owners, Roberto and Mara. They were a pleasure to get to know and treated us more as friends than as guests. This is by far the best and nicest place to stay in Samara and Carillo. I hope it makes it into the Fodors book soon!
I hope this info is helpful!
Old Jul 4th, 2004, 06:01 AM

How do you get in touch with the Samara folks? This sounds like a property mentioned recently on this site and last night I couldn't find the thread...was just going to try again! We haven't made our reservation yet for Aug beach time and it is a toss-up between Samara & Playa Hermosa..Playa Hermosa being closer to Rincon area and possibly less rainy??? We will also be staying at Neta's and look forward to that! Joyce
Old Jul 4th, 2004, 07:48 AM
mad
Original Poster

I haven't been to playa hermosa, so i'm not sure how it compares. the weather was pretty good in samara, although it started to rain a little bit more often over this past week (at night and a bit in the late afternoon). anyway, if you decide to go to samara and want a really nice place to stay, you can either e-mail roberto : [email protected] or call: 506-656-0812
Old Jul 5th, 2004, 02:03 PM

mad,
We must have been in Samara at the same time. Where you the one staying in the only villa that was ready? We left before the second one was ready. It was a beautiful place. I can't wait to stay there next year!

I love Samara, too. This was our 2nd time there. I hope that once more people discover it, it can still keep it's charm!
Old Jul 5th, 2004, 04:50 PM

Thanks to both of you; I have heard back from these folks and they sound lovely. Now, just when I thought I had our trip settled, this is sounding better than Oasis in Playa Hermosa! I wonder how I planned all our previous vacations so well w/o using a site like this! It was a little less stressful, but I sure know a lot about CR now! Joyce
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 09:57 AM

trevorjoyce,
You aren't going to go wrong with either place! I think your son will think there is more to do in Samara...there were more people in Samara and you will be staying in the center of it. The Oasis is a little more removed and I wouldn't walk alone at night (with my husband I would) but in Samara I would. Have a great trip!
Old Jul 7th, 2004, 07:38 AM
mad
Original Poster

yes, we were the ones staying in the only villa ready- funny. we lucked out with that one. it truly is the nicest place to stay there. if you go, please tell them madeleine and arpad sent you and say hi. we truly enjoyed our time with them. also, there is a surf school you might enjoy- Jesse's surf school towards the end of the beach. their beginner lessons were great and you can rent the surf boards for $6 an hour, or less if you make a deal for a week or more. you can also kayak to snorkel at a nearby island, horseback ride, fish, among other things. it's a fun place to hang out for a while.
Old Jul 7th, 2004, 02:14 PM

Thanks to both of you; we probably will go with Samara and of course we will tell them hello from all of you! I think Samara sounds good as if it does rain it seems we can walk around the town etc. Hermosa sounds more like just the beach and nothing else right there. Joyce