Golfito, anyone?

Mar 2nd, 2003, 05:36 PM
Original Poster

Golfito, anyone?

We're planning to go to C.R. in early June, and our plans will include the Golfito area. Has anyone been there, and can anyone recommend hotels/lodges, either there and/or in Playa Zancudo? We like the beach, and we also love wildlife. Thanks for any help!
Mar 3rd, 2003, 07:41 PM

You could look at Tiskita Lodge. I have heard some very nice things about it.
I spent a few hours in Golfito last year. It is a bit of a wasteland there IMO.
Mar 4th, 2003, 12:50 PM

Gulfito, the 'town' may not be a destination, but there are some great things to be said about the 'area'. Hardly ANY tourism, which means long stretches of beach with NO toursit. Great fishing, horseback riding, swimming and surfing. But you won't find many 'restaurants' or anything else. There are some small 'beach' restaurants, where locals hang out, but most likely you'd be eating at what ever 'lodge' you'd be staying at. Check out Cabinas Los Cocos on Playa Zancudo at:
www.loscocos.com
or Cabinas Sol Y Mar at:
www.zancudo.com
Mar 5th, 2003, 02:13 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much Suzie and Ally. Based on your opinions, we have revised our plans to stay only in Zancudo and to skip Golfito. Do you think that 3 days is too much for that area? We are a couple in our 50's and we will be traveling with two 18 yr old girls who love surfers!
Mar 5th, 2003, 04:29 PM

Why not just go to Tamarindo or other areas around there? Great surfing for the girls and a decent place for the folks. Playa Hermosa, Nosara, Tambor. One thing not mentioned which I am sorry I didn't catch sooner is that Golfito can be pretty wet during the rainy season. The northern Pacific area of CR is a drier area.
Mar 6th, 2003, 06:25 AM

Well, now that I hear you have two 18 year old girls, I have to agree with Suzie2. I'm afraid Zancudo will be much to boring for them! While there is good surf nearby, there will not be very many surfers as it's not a top surf beach. Most surfers go further south to Povones, but there is nothing else there.
If you're trying to avoid too many crowds, such as Tamarindo, Nosara would be a good compromise, and as Suzie also mentions, the are will get less rain. Sorry if I got you going in the wrong direction!
Mar 6th, 2003, 11:33 AM
Original Poster

Hi Suzie and Ally--
There's one BIG reason we're going to Zancudo, rather than Tamarindo, etc.: We've already been there! Yes, I agree with all your reasons for going there, too. We just want to try another part of C.R. Isn't it possible to travel to Pavones from Zancudo?? Also, the Zancudo website makes it "seem" that there are some spots the girls might be able to mingle with "cute" surfers! Am I looking for whining if we go there? Sheesh, I've just revised my plans to change it from 4 nights to 3. Isn't there enough of interest for them to do in 3 nights? Thanks to you both for taking the time to respond!!
Mar 6th, 2003, 12:10 PM

Oh, I see!
Yes, the girls will probably be fine for 3 nights! And yes, you can travel to Povones from Zancudo to see lot's of surfers at the break there which is said to be 'one of the longest lefts in the world.' Not sure how long the drive would be as I drove to Povones from Dominical and didn't pay enough attention! I'm sure your lodge can help answer that.
There is a bar/restaurant they can hang out at right in front of the surf in Povones. You really can't miss it as there is just not much else there! Have a great time!