air travel within CR

Mar 6th, 2003, 09:09 AM
Original Poster

air travel within CR

I'm arriving in San Jose and staying in Manuel Antonio, other than NatureAir, what airlines travel that route? Also, I'm flying home out of Libera, are there direct flights from Quepos to Liberia?

Is the drive from Manuel Antonio to Liberia long and difficult?
Thanks for all of your help!
Mar 6th, 2003, 09:32 AM

Nature Air, Sansa are the two airlines. They can answer your questions directly on what flights are available to Liberia if any.
Or....if anyone has a web site that gives the flights from places other than to or from San Jose maybe they could let us all know.
Haven't done that specific drive but the roads are fairly good except for the pots holes here and there and as you get closer to Liberia you may have some cattle on the roads.
You could look into possible shuttles with Gray Line or Interbus.
Mar 6th, 2003, 09:37 AM

Try Sansa at: http://www.flysansa.com/infosansa/ge...eservac&lang=1
Mar 6th, 2003, 10:23 AM
Original Poster

wow, that was quick! thanks for your replies. it looks like going via san jose is the only option. maybe i'll do the drive afterall.
Mar 6th, 2003, 10:31 AM

Has anyone had problems with the weight limitations on these airlines?
I will be flying from Tamarindo to San Jose and wondering if I'll be able to get my luggage on the flight.

Any advice?
Thanks!
Mar 6th, 2003, 10:54 AM
Original Poster

I found that some of the airlines have weight limits posted on their sites. I have heard that they can be strict about the limit. I'd pack lightly--you wouldn't want to have to leave your stuff behind!
Mar 6th, 2003, 11:42 AM

" I'm flying home out of Libera, are there direct flights from Quepos to Liberia? Is the drive from Manuel Antonio to Liberia long and difficult?"

There are no non-stop flights except to and from a variety of locations to and from San Jose. My advice would be to fly to Liberia from San Jose. You could fly from Quepos to SJO then SJO to Liberia. A road trip (Quepos/Liberia) would probably take around 7 hours or so.
Mar 6th, 2003, 12:29 PM

Regarding weight limits. They all have a limit of 25lbs.
Do they follow those guidelines- (This should clarify things for you LOL - sometimes.
Sometimes they will just charge a little extra per pound. Sometimes they won't do anything. Sometimes your luggage will have to fly on a different flight than the one you are on. Sometimes you will have to fly on a different flight with your luggage.
All of the above have happened to me.
2 weeks ago I was flying back to San Jose from Puerto Jimenez. The flight I was scheduled to be on was changed to a charter out of Quepos and dropped people off in PJ but then flew on to Quepos empty to pick up a group. No problem, another plane was coming in 20mins. That ended up being a 4 seater with 2 other passengers and a pilot already on it. My backpack (32lbs) was too heavy so they left without me and my pack. Next flight 15mins later was a 6 seater and had one seat left. The other 4 people had tons of luggage so they decided to leave mine behind to fly on another plane coming in in another 15 mins. Sure enough..15mins after arriving in San Jose my pack showed up and I was on my way. Another time I had to leave part of my stuff behind. It caught up to me 2 days later in my hotel.
Hope this helps!
Mar 6th, 2003, 12:33 PM

Tina,
I've flown on Sansa Airlines taking a 22-inch piece of luggage plus an over-the-shoulder carry-on. It wasn't a problem; now they do weigh your luggage and on the two occasions that I flew, the plane wasn't full. I suspect if it's a full flight and everybody was carting a large load of luggage, then there might be a problem. These are very small planes, only seat 12(?) passengers and so weight is an important issue.
Mar 6th, 2003, 01:12 PM

We flew on both Sansa and Nature Air a couple of weeks ago. Sansa, out of San Jose, did weigh our luggage, and asked us how much we weighed. But, they didn't weigh our carry-on. That was a 12 passenger plane which was full. Although they didn't mean to, they left our luggage in San Jose, not to be seen when we arrived at Palmar Sur. We got it the next day. It was a major inconvenience since we wearing our heaviest clothes (long pants) so our luggage would be lighter. The Osa peninsula is not the place to be in long pants.

We then flew Nature Air from Palmar Sur to Quepos. Looking on the web site, it appeared that we would have to go to San Jose and back down, but we flew direct, thanks to our travel agent. That was only a six seat plane, but there were only four of us. They just tossed our luggage on the empty seats, not even in the baggage storage area. No co-pilot on that flight either.

So, my recommendation would be to contact the airlines directly about schedules, and not rely on the web site.
Mar 6th, 2003, 01:46 PM

One thing I forgot to mention regarding weight. After weighing my backpack in San Jose before going to PJ, they had me stand on the scale with my carry ons, binoculars, camera etc (I am not a big person). The guy behind me was over 6ft and had two large hard suitcases and they didn't weigh him with his carry ons.