Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

We chose Playa Hermosa over Tamarindo - will we be happy?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6th, 2005, 07:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all,

I am planning my honeymoon for January 2006. So far, the itinerary is as follows:

Jan. 14 Arrive SJO, stay at Vista del Valle Plantation Inn
Jan. 15/16 - Arenal Volcano (Arenal Paraiso)
Jan. 17/18/19 - Playa Hermosa (Villa del Sueno)
Jan. 20/21/22 - Manuel Antonio (Si Como No)
Jan. 23/24 - San Jose (Hotel Grano de Oro)

When creating this itinerary, my husband and I were debating between Playa Hermosa and staying somewhere in Tamarindo (such as Playa Flamingo) but chose Playa Hermosa because it would enable us to take a day trip to Nicaragua with Vargas Tours (I don't think they'd come pick us up in Tamarindo). But as I read more about both Playa Hermosa and Tamarindo, I wonder if Hermosa will be too isolated for us. It seems like there is not much of a town or anything nearby. Because we are young and fairly active, will we regret not having gone to Tamarindo? Also, is it possible to day trip there from Hermosa, assuming we have a rental car? It just seems like not too many people opt to stay in Hermosa and I'm beginning to doubt our choice to stay there....any thoughts/experiences anyone could share?
Old Oct 8th, 2005, 01:40 PM
Original Poster

Anybody?
Old Oct 8th, 2005, 04:37 PM

You picked a great hotel in Hermosa. It's not on the beach but it's very nice and has a wonderful restaurant. Hermosa is quiet in comparison to Tamarindo and that is why I prefer it. Yes, there is much construction going on in Hermosa but there is ALWAYS construction in Tamarindo and it's very dusty. You could take a day trip and easily visit most of the beach towns between Hermosa and Tamarindo. Playa Coco is also nearby..just 10 minutes away.
You mentioned Playa Flamingo. That is another town with a beautiful beach between Playa H and T.
Old Oct 8th, 2005, 06:24 PM

I agree with joeschmo--don't think you'll regret your decision at all. Tamarindo is at most an hour and 15 minutes from Hermosa. You could enjoy a day trip there. And do check out Flamingo while you are in that area.

Yes, there is more nightlife in Tamarindo, but you can still enjoy yourselves at Playa Coco in the evenings--it has a few fun places. Northern Guanacaste is very hard to beat, but you really won't be there much considering your daytrip to Nica. Actually, you might want to consider checking out Tamarindo and Flamingo on your way to Manuel Antonio. It would make for a long day, but it might conserve some of your time in the long run.

Congratulations and don't second guess yourself--it's all wonderful!
Old Oct 9th, 2005, 07:48 AM

Another person in agreement. Villa del Sueno is a wonderful boutique hotel. As mentioned you can find some night life in Playa del Coco or on weekends Monkey Bar has live entertainment. (10 minute walk) Guides are available for day trips to Tamarindo or just rent a car for a day as it is an easy drive.
Tamarindo is a little far south for Vargas to pick up ( I contract with them frequently) especially in high season so staying at Sueno will now make the Nicaragua trip possible. I think I have some guests joining you on the 18th. It's a long day but well worth it. There are a number of other restaurants within walking distance of Sueno for some variety, although after eating there you probably won't want to go else where. Lots of water sport activities on the beach. You won't be disappointed. A sunset sail on Drums of Bora is a big hit with honeymooners too.

Congratulations!

Michael
[email protected]
Old Oct 13th, 2005, 10:48 AM

I think that you will find Playa Hermosa a wonderful place. You can go snokerling and the El Velero hotel has a great beachside outside bar-b-que on Wed and Sat.(The grilled Lobster is divine.) I love Playa Hermosa and will be going back in March. The beach is beautiful and there are lots of day trips that you can take. Nightlife is not as exciting but The Monkey Bar is fun and just enjoying the beach and the beauty with your honey is just fine with me.
I did not care that much for Tamarindo; I thought it was dusty and lots of construction always!!
You will be happy with Playa Hermosa; I am sure.
Enjoy!!!!
Christine [email protected]