Trip Report - CR Fodorites meet at CPI!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21st, 2008, 02:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cgenster already posted her report and pictures--here are mine (and I realized I don't have pictures of the two of us). Link to pictures: http://www.flickr.com/photos/travlmaven/?saved=1
DH and I attended one week of classes at CPI Monteverde--had homestay and enjoyed it although we expected to spend a little more time with the family. We had a private room and bath (which you had to back into, sit, and then close the door)--our first experience with "suicide" showers, but we got the hang of it. CPI is an excellent school--DH had never taken any Spanish classes before--although he understands quite a bit (listening to me for 15 years). He was so proud when he was placed in 3rd level. I was the only one at my level (intermediate) and it was great--tough, but I really "cleaned" up my grammar and learned lots of new vocab. Lots of homework--which we found was easier to do at school, rather than sitting on our bed at home. Well, we did find the wine bar on the corner made a VERY comfortable place to study, too (plus our homestay was right behind it!).
We took both the cooking class and the dance class offered by CPI--lots of fun. CPI does a great job organizing weekend tours and we were able to add a second night onto the Arenal tour for our first weekend. It was pouring rain for our Lake Arenal crossing (did the Jeep/Boat/Jeep). I was nervous about the hotel as it wasn't listed in any guidebooks. Lavas Tacotel turned out to be a great hotel--the volcano was "right outside" and we had very few clouds over the weekend; beautiful grounds, too. Saturday our guide, Percy, took us to El Silencio for an afternoon hike, then off to Balde Hot Springs for a few hours (dinner included) and then around to the Arenal Observatory to see the lava flow. Sunday we hiked down to Cataratas La Fortuna--a tough hike (especially with a touch of turista) but great views and more animal sightings. The weekend was especially nice for the privacy after a week with paper thin walls (we even had a jacuzzi tub in our room at Arenal!).After lunch we were transported to our new school in Playa Flamingo. We chose to stay at Villagio and our little casita was right across from the pool and very close to Restaurante Marco Polo. The kitchen wasn't quite as well equipped as we'd hoped, but you could boil water for coffee, and the fridge made breakfasts and lunches easy to manage. Plus--Marco Polo has the best pizza and pasta--so we ate there several nights! DH did not take classes at PF, but at the break cgenster and I met! I enjoyed getting to know her and appreciated she and her Dh having a car as the four of us went to Brasilito for lunch and shopping one afternoon. We also shared a couple of dinners at Marco Polo with them as well. A highlight of our week at Playa Flamingo had to be the sunset sail. As seasoned sailors, we don't usually enjoy "booze cruises" but this was very nice. DH caught (and released) a skipjack and managed to drive the crew crazy with his questions and tales. The Lazy Lizard was great--very comfortable boat, great food and drink, nice cove for snorkeling, and beautiful sunset to top it off! For our last weekend, we again took advantage of CPI's tour planning and went to Manuel Antonio. We got an extra day there due to the Federal holiday. Again, excellent hotel (Villas al Parque), fantastic guide, Daniel. Short trip into MA for dinner, then up again early Saturday for our day on the beach. Hiked up to Catedral, saw more howler and white faced monkeys, sloths, even a deer on the beach! Daniel taught us how to make "chapulines" (grasshoppers) out of palm fronds. Afternoon shopping at the stalls with a great (cheap!) lunch from one of the stands. Late afternoon at the pool, and then delicious dinner at Mar y Luna (live music, too). Sunday we transferred to Orquideas for our last night (very early flight Monday). LOVED the Marilyn Monroe Bar and had a delicious dinner at their restaurant. Shuttle was right there waiting for us a 4:45AM (we did have to wake the driver). Long day traveling home--but what an adventure!
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 03:22 PM

Awesome pictures, especially the sunsets! Thanks for sharing them. I hope I'll be able to take some that are as good as yours.
And you answered one of my questions that CPI USA rep couldn't (or didn't) answer - I got their tour list and saw that the Arenal trip was only one night, and I'd really like to do 2 (leave Friday afternoon instead of Saturday a.m.). Glad to know this might be a possibility.
Did CPI arrange your transportation to Orquideas, or did you do that on your own? I will also probably need a night somewhere near the airport, since I'm finishing up at Playa Flamingo but flying out of SJO (unless I look into changing that to LIR, but I'm not sure if that's allowed on a FF ticket).
The beaches look so wonderful . . .
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 03:32 PM
Original Poster

teachergirl--CPI only added the second night because there were two others that wanted to go then (we were told they have a four person minimum). CPI transported us to Orquideas, and they arranged the airport transfer (I think it was $10). CPI will not transfer you to LIR--only San Jose. Orquideas was a great spot--beautiful grounds, very peaceful--everything you need right there--we never left. We enjoyed having the down time to reorganize suitcases, journal, etc. The beaches are amazing. CPI has "privileges" at Playa Flamingo Resort, but when we tried to enter through the gate (which we thought was the entrance) we were told they were full. We walked around the corner and found their restaurant and, of course, we were invited in to have lunch. I later found out at the cute young things always went in by the beach entrance with little or no problem. We walked to Playa Portrero, but it's nothing to write home about (the bar there is good from what we heard--especially on Wed when ladies drink free). We did hear that if walk right before getting to Playa Portreo, there is a beautiful beach at Playa Penca--we're sorry we missed it. Do get to Brasilito and have lunch (or sunset dinner) at Camaron Dorado (right on the sand)--but take your bug spray--that's where I got most of my bites. You'll either have to have a car, or use the buses or taxis (not sure of the cost--it was 4000 colones from downtown PF to Portreo). Enjoy!!!
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 03:58 PM

Cool, I'll put Brasilito on my "hope to do" list.
Sounds like I should bring my beach stuff to class with me so I'll have it for the afternoon, maybe.
I just looked at the Orquideas web site, and it looks lovely (though it's a little bit of a bummer to pay for a night somewhere when I've actually already PAID for that night as part of my week at the Villagio). If I want to stay at the Orquideas the night before I fly home, do I need to book that before I leave, or can I wait until I get to CR?
Thanks for all your help!
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 04:01 PM
Original Poster

I booked it through their website--so nice to have it done. They had us "check out" (pay the bill) after we had dinner, so all we had to do was leave the key with the guard at the gate. Don't know about the drive from PF to Alejuela (airport) because we went from MA, but it's long, rough, and I'd rather have a night in a good bed (the only box springs we saw in CR) the night before a flight. Yes, take your beach stuff--you can always take the 5pm bus from CPI back to Portrero (free!).
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 05:49 PM

Hi Trvlmaven,

Your pictures are great. I still have more I can post, but my sobrina had her la nina tonight so I have a lot to do to get ready to go to GA.

This is the one I thought had her baby while I was there. Baby and mom are doing fine, she just wants to know when I will be there.
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 08:59 PM

As a CPI veteran, I really enjoyed your report! Was your guide Percy Piedras? I'm sure there are lots of Percy's--and he typically works out of Heredia campus. Very nice guy, though.
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 09:01 PM

Loved the photos! Do you have more to upload????
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 06:24 AM
Original Poster

Yes, it was Percy--and we were thrilled to see him with another group while we were in MA. Yes, (sheepishly) I do have more photos--thanks for asking!
cgenster--glad to hear the nina finally made her debut--safe travels to GA.
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 07:51 PM

Cool. I just met him last summer while at CPI, but my daughter thought he was a lot of fun. I think he went dancing a couple of times with some of the students when she was in CPI.