drive from lake chapala to san miguel de allende

Dec 29th, 2003, 01:28 PM
Original Poster

drive from lake chapala to san miguel de allende

we are two couples who will be staying near lake chapala for a few days and then want to drive to san miguel de allende for a few days visit. we're trying to get a handle on how far it is, how long it will take, what the driving conditions may be, and the safety in such a drive. we will be traveling in late feb.-early march so i'm pretty sure the weather will be nice. any insight into this adventure would be greatly appreciated.
Dec 30th, 2003, 06:49 AM

It looks like an easy hop of 125-150 miles (my map is not up to the task).

The driving should not be a challenge nor should you anticipate any particular problems or dangers aside from the occasional cow -- just about the same as we encounter on some of our mountain roads in Oregon.

Since you are traveling between two highly touristed areas, I wouldn't call this an "adventure," but perhaps, more of a "pleasure."

It's been a while since I was in the region (1969) and travel was easy and safe back then. Just remember, if the guy in the big hat won't show you his "steenking badge," you have the right to demand that he do.
Jun 28th, 2004, 11:23 PM
loveopera

It is an easy trip of four hours or less on good highway. Just don't drive at night, not because of robbers but cows don't carry lights. Hitting wild life is the biggest danger. When you make left turn, don't stop in the middle of the road like we do here in US, but get off the road on the right and wait for the traffic to clear. I swear Mexicans behind wheel have death wish, so drive defensively. Other than that, it's an enjoyable easy trip.

Jun 29th, 2004, 10:47 AM

I agree with loveopera.
It's an easy relaxing daylight drive, but don't do it at night - the cows are skinny, but still plenty large and there are many vehicles lacking rear lighting.
If you have ever been to the Big Bend in TX, you know how dark it may be.
M
Jul 7th, 2004, 04:45 PM
loveopera

A friend of mine got hit by a flying cow in Guatelajara. A car in front of him hit the cow, and it flew over to smashed my friend's front. No injury, but try getting parts to Mercedes in Mexico! He didn't think it's too funny. Watch out for buses and trucks.

Search this Thread