Search

Tour Companies for Peru

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4th, 2006, 11:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tour Companies for Peru

Hi,
My friend and I will be traveling to Peru in September 2006 and are currently considering the following tour companies to book our 8-day trip that will include Cusco, the Sacred Valley, the 2-day Inka Trail trek, and Puno/Lake Titicaca:
- Rainbow Trail
- Inca Explorers
- Andean Trek
- Peru Gateway
- Ancient Summit
- CAT Travel

Has anyone booked tours with any of these companies? We're looking for a tour that pays attention to the little things (during the booking and also on the tour) and has knowledgeable and fun guides with 3-star accommodations at a reasonable price.

thanks!
Old Jun 4th, 2006, 12:21 PM

I have obtained quotes for custom tours from the following tour operators: Aracari, Latin Discover, the Andean Experience Company (Inkaterra) , Amazing Peru, and Tropical Nature Travel. As well, I have looked into a small travel group experience with Odysseys Unlimited. Has anybody had any experiences with any these travel operators?
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 06:07 AM
SMT

I just returned from Cusco, Sacred Valley, MP trip. While I don't have direct experience with any of the companies you listed, I can tell you that we met a couple at the hotel in Cusco who had multiple problems with Amazing Peru. When they arrived in one city the hotel was not the one listed on the itinerary. They were told it was booked and the substitute hotel was not comparable. Their luggage was misplaced in transport at another hotel where we saw them and their transports were late for scheduled pick-ups.
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 11:01 AM

Has anyone used the tour company Traveland? They have what sounds like good tours to Lima, Cuzco and Machu Picchu.

Thanks,
Sharon
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 11:02 AM

Maybe I should have started a new thread. Sorry, mshieh.
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 07:27 PM
Original Poster

Hi Sharon,
That's ok, I didn't get any responses to my posting anyway. But I can tell you that my friend and I decided to take a chance on Ancient Summit (http://ancientsummit.com/) b/c of the great communication we've had with Nina Fogelman. She runs the tour company and is an older lady who responds quickly to all our inquiries and is very helpful and candid with her information and advice. She is based in Florida, but it's her kids (they're grown and in their 20s/30s) that do the legwork once in Peru, so we'll get more of the local feel while we're there since they'll personally be showing us around. Also, our tours in Cusco, Sacred Valley, Inka Trail and Lima are all private (except for our time in Puno/Lake Titicaca), and all at a reasonable price compared to the other operators I listed in my original posting. I'm also excited about the hotels we'll be staying at, as they seem to have a lot of character without being 5-star eyesores amongst the beautiful scenery (like Gringo Bill's Hostal and Amaru Hostal).

Just some information that may help- feel free to ask for further info I may be able to provide!
Old Jun 15th, 2006, 08:34 AM

Thanks mshieh.
Old Jun 15th, 2006, 07:59 PM

I just got back from a trip to Peru and we booked with Sun Gate Tours- they were great. If you have already booked- no worries. Many of the companies use the same guides and porters. The various companies simply work find clients and then there is a pool of guides to choose from. I would suggest that you ask the company that you booked with to pick you up from the airport. Our company did this and it helped so much. We did not have to worry about finding our hotel or getting ripped off by a taxi. Some good resturants in Cusco- MAP and Inca Grill. Have a great time.
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 10:02 PM

Mshieh, I just took a look at Ancient Summit's website and their Peru My way Tour (9 nights) was priced at over $3,000 per person. That seems to me to be quite pricy for what it covers. What may I ask are you paying for your package, and what does it cover?
Old Jun 18th, 2006, 08:46 AM

Sent our son on graduation trip to Peru with GAP last Sept. Very pleased!
Old Jun 19th, 2006, 06:56 AM

I think you can use a local tour operator like Sun God Expeditions (www.sungodperu.com) try it!!!!
Old Jun 19th, 2006, 07:06 AM

I just came from Peru, my itinerary was lima,paracas,nazca,arequipa,puno,ans cusco, we really enjoyed and the tour operator that used was Sun God Expeditions (www.sungodperu.com) they really help you, Alex was very helpful and they did a good work with us, excellent hotels and the best tour guides, my friend told me to use a local operator and i did it, this Tour aAgency was the best, and Alex the best guy
Old Jun 21st, 2006, 05:45 AM

Hello:
I just came back from my last trip from Peru; this was my 6TH time there, I love it and I am always visiting new places. I always use: YURE CHAVEZ for information, as my personal travel agent and PRIVATE GUIDE; his trips have a great value for the price and quality of service abroad, he is a very good organized guy that has more that 11 years traveling all over Peru and knows very well its main and best attractives: Cusco, Machupicchu, Inca Trails, Manu Rain Forest, Puno & Titicaca Lake, Arequipa & The Colca Canyon, The Nazca Lines, Chiclayo & Lord of Sipan, Chachapoyas & Kuelap, Huaraz, etc, etc.
He is Peruvian, so always designs more enjoyable and authentic holidays that maximize the benefits to local communities, minimize any negative social or environmental impacts of tourism, and help local people to conserve fragile cultures and habitats/species. Without ever compromising safety and comfort, he always took me well off the tourist paths into the real Peru, the country he knows inside out.
For any one going to Peru i think that he is the one to advice you on how, what to do and visit, his e-mail is [email protected] and [email protected]

I am sure that he will be very happy to help you with information and anything else you will need
Good luck
Ricardo
Old Jun 7th, 2007, 06:05 AM

Highly, highly recommend Ancient Summit!!! Nina was amazing - she totally made our trip one of the best of our lives!
Old Dec 16th, 2007, 06:01 PM
P_M

bookmarking