Peru trip planning

Old Dec 27th, 2005, 04:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Peru trip planning

Hi, I am planning a trip to Peru for May. Was wondering if anyone has any experience (good or bad) with using Peru Gateway Travel (peru-explorer.com)?

Or if anyone has any good experiences with any travel agents to book some excursions and domestic air tickets, please share your thoughts.

Thanks!
Tina
Old Dec 27th, 2005, 05:56 PM

Tina, Andrew Gilchrist of Lost World Adventures handled all my Peru travel arrangements except international air. He did a fabulous job and I was very happy with his services.
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 02:53 PM

We used Peru Gateway Travel for our trip to Peru in June 2004. There were very easy to work with although we didn't change much of the itinerary. While we had a private guide in Lima, we were on a big tour bus when we toured the Sacred Valley, there were 3 other couples with us on the Inca Trail (no big deal there, to be expected), and a family of 4 with a 2 year old and 6 year old in the rainforest (not ideal). Our guides were knowledgeable and interesting. It just depends on what you are looking for. Do you want a private trip or are you okay being with other people?
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 03:02 PM
Original Poster

thanks for the advice, i have e-mailed both lost world & peru gateway for quotes.

i generally like private to small group tours. small tour meaning less than 10 people. i guess i will need to clarify that with both companies?
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 06:04 AM

We just got back from 2 weeks in Peru and would recommend both Rainforest Expeditions (Posada Amazonas and Tambopata Research Station) and Ecotourism Chaska. Rainforest is much more expensive for the usual tourist circuit of Cuzco, Machu Picchu and Sacred Valley which is why we went with a second travel agency for that part of the trip. Would suggest that you check with South American Explorers Club for the latest feedback on local companies. Hotels in this tourist circuit are comparatively expensive but there are places for all budgets (e.g., Aguas Calientes has decent hostels for $15 per person up to $400 a room including breakfast and dinner at Machu Picchu Puebelo and $700 at the Sanctuary hotel--most hotels are about $100 a night). We got estimates from 5 travel agents and decided on Ecotourism Chaska because they were based in Cuzco, were very timely and responsive with their email replys, and knew of changes in hotel management and local festivities. Our cost for 2 people for 2 nights in Lima, 3 nights in Ollantaytambo, 1 night in Aguas Calientes and 2 nights in Cuzco, airfare Lima-Puerto Maldonado-Cuzco-Lima, all breakfasts, one group city tour of Cuzco, Machu Picchu train with lunch and tour, one folkloric show dinner in Cuzco (pena), and all transfers was about $2000.

I was also impressed with the response from FerturPeru (highly recommended by South american Explorers Club) but we ended up booking with Ecotourism Chaska.