Tips on Cabo

Old Mar 28th, 2004, 05:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tips on Cabo

We are going to Cabo in April. 16 Adults 30-40 year old's staying at the Westin. We want to know restaurants recommondations, what is the Westin like, ATV tour suggestions,and do we need to rent cars to go to town at night?
Old Mar 29th, 2004, 01:04 PM
eb

joanns, do a search and read the posting "what's the real deal on cabo", except ignore all the negative stuff some of the people have put on there. We're making our 5th trip back to Cabo the end of May. We love it. The Westin is pretty far out so, yes, you'll need a car. Take the ATV tour to the Lighthouse/Sand Dunes. Restaurants we like are Pancho's, Ole'Ole', Mocambo's, and The Office. (I'll have to warn you that what Captain Mike said on the other Cabo message about the taxis is true! They have a huge monopoly and overcharge like crazy. The public buses are cheap and fine to ride - we've done it many times - but renting a car would be best.) Hope this helps. eb
Old Mar 31st, 2004, 08:56 AM

HI: I Agree completely with eb; I really don't know what there is to not like about Cabo. My wife and I just returned and will definitely go back. we stayed in the main part of the city, which was nice, but the Westin, which is further out, has much better swimming and recreation. It shouldnt be more than a few dollars into Cabo. the restaurants are the best part; the small, family owned authentic Mexican restuarants are incredibly good, cheap, and cleaner than most restaurants Ive seen in the US. This was honestly my first trip to Mexico where I ate everything local and DID NOT get sick. The service is so good it makes me wary of eating out in the US again. True, there are some good upscale restaurants, but I was more than happy to eat at the smaller traditional places. There are many right on the main strip in Cabo and many off it on some of close side streets. You are perfectly safe walking around as Cabo is probably the safest city in Mexico; here are a few I reccommend; The Crazy Lobster, Ponchos, Margaritaville (last two are quite touristy but very good). Along the waterfront there are dozens of open air restaurants with good food and even better happy hours. Two of the best restaurants are found if you start at the bar, El Squid Roe, walk up (away from the water) 50 yards and there are two really good small restaurants across from each other,

have fun, JOHN
Old Mar 31st, 2004, 09:49 PM

There's something for everyone in the Cape. Cabo felt a little too much like spring break for me. but that may be just what you're looking for.

If you like more traditional mexican towns, it's an easy trip to San Jose del Cabo & about an hour to Todos Santos. There's still jewelry and art stores in these two towns, but you don't have to avoid the shills on the corners to get to them. All types of restaurants (from tacquerias to high cuisine) in each place.

Westin has a contract for outdoor adventure touring with a company. It leaves from the Westin.

If that's too limiting, there are other Eco-tourist companies which leave from San Jose and Cabo. A few will pick you up from the Westin. Most won't.

Do rent a car if you want to do/go anywhere other than the Westin. Taxis are expensive and shuttles from the Westin have limited pick-up times to Cabo & San Jose. I didn't rent a car, but would if I returned.

By the way, although most of the Mexicans you will meet speak English, they really appreciate your attempts to speak Spanish.

Have fun!
Old Apr 1st, 2004, 01:17 PM

We were in Cabo in December (8 adults in early 30's) and we found that if you had a lot of people (most of the taxis were vans) you could negotiate the price per person for taxis. We stayed at the Melia Los Cabos which is also along the corridor and we would usually take the hotel shuttle into town and then a taxi back. The driver would usually start at maybe $7/person but we never paid more than $5 and usually $4 (because the driver would still be getting the $25-$30+ he wanted out of the trip which, yes, can be expensive if you are talking about 2 people in a cab). I would recommend not getting into the cab until you set a price.

As far as restaurants, we really liked Romeo & Juliet and Mi Casa. We had a lot of fun - Cabo is a great place to go with a group of friends. We rented jet skis one day which was lots of funand also went on one of the sunset cruises which was a blast - there was a live band and dancing and open bar. Maybe it was a little like Spring Break - especially since the people I was with were my college roommates! I posted a trip report when I got back which you can search for under my name.
Old Apr 1st, 2004, 01:24 PM

I went back and looked at my trip report and it looks like we usually paid $5/person for a cab. We started the trip with 8 people but 2 left on the third day because they had already been traveling around Mexico for 2 weeks. I think we paid less when we had 8 people ($4) and a litle more ($5) when we had 6 people.
Old Apr 2nd, 2004, 10:17 AM

Hi we have a timeshare at the Westin and go at least once a year. You will love the property. We only go into Cabo once during the trip and that is to go to the local "watering holes." Other than that we eat in San Jose Del Cabo which is about 15- 20 minutes from the hotel. cars are expensive to rent but we always do because we play golf. Otherwise you could live with taxis or the bus which does stop directly in front of the hotel.
These are our favorite restuarants.
Really nice dining with prices comporable to the US are:
Hiario, El Chilar, LaPanga, Fandango, Damiana. For great Mexican food is Trpicana. When you want just a salad or a sandwich or light meal Rusty Putter. All of these wonderful restaurants are in San Jose. It is a cute little old town with one main street.
Two suggestions. If you drink wine bring your own. We brought wine from home and took it and we never even charged a corkage fee.
Also there are little bugs called Noseeims (I think this is the spelling). Most of the restaurants are outside seating in charming small patio areas with trees. Just beautiful but the bugs come out at night. Arm yourself before you go to dinner with Cutters or some kind of bug spray.

Another suggestion if you have not been there before, when you get off the plane you will be attacked by people asking you to sit through a timeshare presentation . Even though we own one we always do one because for sitting thorough about a 90 minutue presentation you get all kinds of great freebees. For example last year we got our rental car paid for. The time before our husbands got free golf on the course that is normally $250.00 per round.

My suggestion is that you just do the time share presentation with the Westin if you only do one and get some good stuff from them. You could get fishing, ATV tours etc. No obligation to buy. Just be strong and say no.
Old Apr 3rd, 2004, 07:02 AM

In cabo try:
Mi Casa
Ediths(expensive but worth it, dinner for 2 about 100 including drinks)
The office is great, because it is literally on the beach, but very touristy.

For a special meal try either Las Ventanas or Esperanza, the two nicest, and most expensive hotels in the area. I have not been to La Palmilla, but Charlie Trotter is supposed to be opening a restaurant there this spring.

We have always rented a car, to make things like golf and going into town easier.

Old Apr 15th, 2004, 06:57 PM

There is no such thing as a freebee.
They say it takes 90 minutes, well try 3 hours.
What is worse on some of these presentations if you don't buy they make you sit outside and wait for an hour for the group taxi.

Do a google on timeshare fraud in Mexico. Read the recent warnings on Mexico.
Rule of sum, if they tell you it is an investment, prices are going up, you can easily rent it out, they will take your old timeshare as a trade in etc it is always a lie.

Read the state dept. travel warnings. Never sign anything without contacting a lawyer, preferably one back home first.

Then do a google on sol caribe owners group and your will understand why.

Timescare, in Mexico it is buyer beware.
Old Apr 17th, 2004, 12:33 PM

Los Cabos is expensive, but the best bang for the buck is the world class deep sea fishing - 7:00 AM - 3:30 PM so not so overwhelming.
Las Ventanas al Paraiso was the absolute best @ Thanksgiving '01, but the changes in the management and kitchen staffs have resulted in a significant downgrade - still a gorgeous place!