Notices

What to do & Where to eat in Cabo?

Old Mar 24th, 2008, 08:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to do & Where to eat in Cabo?

My darling Father is giving me his timeshare in Cabo in May for my Birthday.

I've never been to Cabo before. Any suggestions for activities or where to eat would be helpful.

I am perfectly willing to sit on the beach for a week, but I thought a couple of nice activities and few great meals would be nice.

Thanks for the help!
Old Mar 24th, 2008, 09:34 AM

Three popular activites are deep-sea fishing (one of the best marlin fishing ports in the world), golfing (four of the top 10 courses in Latin America, per one poll) and carousing at the famous nightspots like Giggling Marlin, Cabo Wabo, Squid Roe, etc.

If these aren't high on your list (I'm guessing not for at least fishing or golf) then you'll be pretty bored staying there a week. Maybe rent a car and do a drive of southern Baja, heading up the west (Pacific) side to Todos Santos (the anti-Cabo, a small, quiet farming village with some quaint shops and good restaurants) or the east (Cortez) side via San Jose del Cabo, the small villages near East Cape and maybe La Paz, a much larger city. You can do the entire loop in one long day, or make two day trips out of it.

If Cabo isn't your kind of place then I'd exchange the time-share unit for someplace else. For sure the time-share vendors and beach vendors are major pests.

Bill
Old Mar 24th, 2008, 10:34 AM

I would definitely rent a car for a day or two and go to Todos Santos and La Paz.
Old Mar 24th, 2008, 12:55 PM

Where in Cabo is the timeshare? The corridor is a long stretch and where you are staying makes a difference in what's available. Snorkeling in Bahia Santa Maria (use a guide or take the sailboat cruise). Good eats and great view: Ediths. La Golondrina (trailer park) has wonderful meals under the olive trees. Go to Finisterra for a sunset cocktail.
Old Mar 25th, 2008, 06:34 AM

Just returned from Cabo.

I would classify Cabo San Lucas as a spring break type crowd – think bars like Cabo Wabo, El Squid Roe, Mango Deck, The Monkey Bar. Fun for one or two nights; but overall - not impressed. Did have GREAT sushi at Nick San. Nice area around the marina in Cabo but full of vendors and restaurant hawkers—it’s pretty overwhelming at times. Once you get away from the marina, the town itself seemed a little “dumpy”. And just about anyone, from the busboy to the cab driver can sell you a timeshare.

San Jose del Cabo – much more “refined” town – smaller. Nice shopping, art galleries, restaurants and an Amber Gallery not to be believed.
SJDC Restaurants
El Chilar – very good but bring CASH-no credit cards. This was a little annoying—at 10 pm my SO has to go to an ATM to get cash – but I will recommend the restaurant anyway.
Morgan’s - Check out both locations – VERY nice and great atmosphere.
La panga antigua probably the best fresh fish I have ever eaten – also pretty atmosphere.

Make sure you check out: The One and only Palmilla resort it is truly fabulous. You don’t have to stay there to eat at the restaurants or have a drink at the bar. This place is so beautiful at night-it’s indescribable.

If you do rent a car – one caution; PAY ATTENTION when you are at the gas station-otherwise they will add $$ to your total bill-not a nice scam. Never park where there is a RED line by the curb.

Go to Todos Santos – heavenly town - a little scary drive – one lane with speeders and cattle/goats can be at any turn-so drive slowly and just enjoy.

Have fun.
Old May 3rd, 2008, 08:35 AM

I just came back from Cabo, to drive and watch out for my 17 year old daughter and her friends. The one thing that my husband and I really enjoyed was the snorkel tour with Pez Gado. Excellent operator. Lots of fun, actually, the highlight of my trip. The beach at Santa Maria is very nice. The girls went kayaking and jet skiing and really enjoyed that. On the weekends, the Clubs are wild. Not really my idea of fun, but the teenagers liked it. (I'm glad I was waiting outside to make sure they got back to the hotel safely.) Renting a car will allow you some diversity. The weather is beautiful. Have a good time and Happy Birthday!
Old May 3rd, 2008, 10:38 AM

My favorite place for breakfast is The Office-great food, great fresh squeezed orange juice, salsa (for breakfast!) and the most incredible view. After that, you can walk from there through the marina, the pretty mall, and do some shopping through the main streets.

Of course, you must stop at Cabo Wabo and bring back some tequilla.
Old May 6th, 2008, 12:18 PM

Activities: rent a dune-buggy for a great desert ride!!!! (pack old tennis shoes for this, cant do this in sandals - clothes/shoes will get sandy/dirty-so dont wear good stuff for this-its alot of fun!), snorkel at Playa Santa Maria, fishing is fun for a day although this isnt marlin time of year! (tuna right now) Ok, now for food.... Mexican: La Fonda or Mi Casa (la fonda is my fav - more authentic!!! try their Sangria - the best I have ever had!!!) For View: The Restaurant at Esperanza (get there before sunset!) Also, Nik San is great for sushi!!! (as someone else said here....) all of these places require reservations - so plan ahead! Also, Frida's (restaurant) at Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach is awesome!!!! Everything on the menu is fabulous! (and the service is great too)