Tamarindo in Mexico for Honeymoon?

Old Feb 26th, 2003, 04:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tamarindo in Mexico for Honeymoon?

Fiance and I stumbled across this resort and fell in love with it. I've searched and seen the old threads. I know the prices. Wanted to know anything else you can tell me. Is this a good choice for honeymoon? We love the look of the villas and the isolation. Where can I get the best deals?
Old Feb 26th, 2003, 06:12 PM

Hi Dan!
We stayed in a beachfront villa in October. It is perfect for a honeymoon. Isolated but near enough to visit meighboring towns & explore if you desire. I have said it is the look of the South Pacific (ok minus the blue lagoons) but in Mexico. It is very lush & the fun of it also is the coatimundis & racoons that visit you at breakfast on your open air dining area. At night when you are at dinner, they lite candles all around the lounge area & pool....very romantic! We have vacationed many places & for seclusion & privacy this place is great. Good servce, food is OK though priced a bit high but it is all worth it for the atmosphere. Breakfast is great though, must have room service. We found the bar/pool or room sevice menu better than the dinner menu for variations...unless you are a fish lover & I am not. There are spa services & kayaking & some snorkeling.
If you have any questions, just ask.
Old Feb 27th, 2003, 01:43 PM
Original Poster

Peggy, where should we fly into? Manzanillo or is there a bigger city we should fly into. How hard is it to rent a car there. Is there somewhere to get better deals than from the hotel. I think I saw something for stay four nights get the 5th one free. THanks.
Old Feb 27th, 2003, 05:32 PM

Manzanillo is the biggest & closest airport. We fly direct from LAX on Alaska. Car rental is easy or for $80.00 each way the resort will pick you up in a van with a drink waiting. We rented a car, all new models so we had options, stayed at Tamarindo for 5 nights then at Grand Bay in Barra de Navidad for 2 nights & investigated the surrounding towns. The drive is 45 minutes north on a good 2 lane hard top road, pretty scenery. Turnoff is marked by a big sign. Curvey brink road into the resort about 9 miles off the road. We used National there twice with no problems. For a week rental in Mexico it is about $400.00 so you have to decide if you want that or the resort pickup. There is a package on LuxuryLink for Tamarindo right now for 6 nights in a beachfront that can be a good deal (we went on one of those packages) if you can get it. Or look at www.differentworld.com. They have book 3, get the 4th night free on their Luxury package which includes breakfast. I have researched this for a friend also who wanted less than the 6 nights LuxuryLink offered & found the differentworld package to be the best price I could find. Breakfast can add up so it is a good extra. Check them both out. Let me know if I can help.
Old Feb 27th, 2003, 05:33 PM

I meant to say "brick" road!....
Old Feb 27th, 2003, 09:29 PM
Original Poster

Peggy, ok the transportation stuff sounds good. And I checked out LuxuryLink. It looks like they have a good deal if we could get it.

My next question is about the difference in the villas. First, do they all have plunge pools. Different World says that the Forest Villas have pools but the map of the site doesn't show that. We like the idea of the villas that are "outside". Is that only the style of one type of villa. If so which one?

We were thinking about the Forest Villas because they are the cheapest. The Luxury Link trip is for the beachfront ones, though.

Thank you so much for all your help. I've had trouble finding anyone who had even heard of this place.

Jenny
Old Feb 28th, 2003, 06:28 PM

The difference is mostly in the location of the villas. All have the open air design. The Beachfront & Palm Tree villas have the dining area & lounging area under a big palapa roof next to the plunge pool & jazuzzi. The bedroom & bath are enclosed but the louvers sliding doors can also be opened all the way up for a totally open feel. Bedroom is air-conditioned. Bathroom is large with glassed in shower, big closet, two sinks, bathrobes & slippers & safe. The Forest Villas are furtherest from the beach & tucked into the hillside slopes so there is less sunning area around them. Very dense shrubbery. They may be a bit dark. They have plunge pools, they are just smaller, no jacuzzi & the lounging/sitting area is inside. Go for the Palm Tree at least if you possibly can. On the differentworld site, if you click on Find a hotel, then Hotel by name & select Tamarindo, then click on To the rooms. It gives a detailed description of the room types on the left & if you click on those links it gives you a window you can select a picture of every villa to view. There are also buttons for viewing the interior & terrace. That should give you a better impression. The luxurylink auction is a good one if you wait until the last 5 minutes or so before it closes & see where the price is then just bid up the required amount & see what happens. Just have you amount to stop that you are comfortable with. It's a honeymoon, it'll be worth it! Or look at the packages on differentworld. But I would go even for the Forest villas, it is a great place. I enjoy travel talk so no problem answering your questions! What month were you thinking of going?
Old Mar 1st, 2003, 06:26 AM
Original Poster

We'll be going the second week in July.

Right now the bid for the beachfront villa is only a couple hundred more than what we would pay for one night less in the forest villa. If we can win the bid we'll definitely do that.

Fiance's question is about the dinners. We're trying to do our budget and were wondering how much those would run us.

We are also interested in seeing some of the nearby towns or villages. We will definitely be renting a car.(Right now we are thinking about flying into Puerta Vallarta and renting a car there. The price difference on the flight and rental are pretty significant.) I know you said you went to some of the nearby places for lunch. I was interested in hearing about that a little.

I've been to Mexico twice before but not to the touristy places. Only on some mission trips. We both would love to see some culture.

Oh, one other thing. Is there a pro-shop there to rent golf clubs. Neither of us have clubs.

Thank you so much for answering our questions.

Different World has been a load of help. What a wonderful site.
Old Mar 2nd, 2003, 09:35 AM

It is about a 2 1/2 (?) hour drive from PV but also a good road. You will drive by El Careyes, the sister resort of Tamarindo, also on luxurylink. We stayed there 2 years ago & also loved it but Tamarindo was our favorite.
Dinners can be expensive ($100 with bottle of wine)& for my taste the selection a bit limited. We always had a big breakfast (included & I loved all the choices). Get a fruit plate & 2 entrees with toast & coffee and/or tea and definately water. A few times we had a late lunch using the pool/bar/snack/room service menu, more choices, less expensive. You have a mini-bar stocked but they are fine with you using some of it for you own purchased items. Since we had a car, we picked up some beer, wine & a bottle of tequila & some cokes. Not trying to be cheap for $4.00 for a 6oz beer is silly especially when it is so cheap locally, that helps with costs alot. Melaque is about 20 minutes south of Tamarindo. Small town on a huge bay, across the bay you can see the Grand Bay hotel & Barra de Navidad, a ggod town for silver, pottery, blankets etc.
Melaque has openair restaurants along the beach. Since you have been to Mexico you are probably comfortable with the atmosphere. This is where we shopped & had lunch several times, our favorite being Terraza Cortez, tables & feet right in the sand. Big BBQ'd snapper for my husband, beans, rice, tacos for me & salsa & chips & several beers between us for about $25.00 The bank & is there also. Food is great & inexpensive. Well we didn'd have any problems. North is La Manzanilla, another little beach town, where we went to meet Mexico Dan who is also posting on this thread, see Villa Montana, his home & the resident seawater crocodiles int the inlet/river there. There is another beach just north of there, Bay of Tenacatita, that is supposed to be beautiful but just didn't make it this trip. Hope you win the auction!
Old Mar 2nd, 2003, 09:41 AM

Almost forgot, yes they have everything you would need for golf. We don't golf so I can't tell you technically what it is like but we took the tour of the course. It was beautiful! Lush, green & some spots at the ocean's cliffs. And a bar at Hole 9 for a break! Also a clubhouse but didn't go in.
Old Mar 2nd, 2003, 03:37 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much you guys. You are a wealth of knowledge! We are so excited just doing all the research.
Old Mar 5th, 2003, 08:01 PM

I am new to this site and am looking for a honeymoon spot - your thread sounds so inviting...what part of Mexico is Tamarindo? And is that a hotel? [email protected]
Old Mar 6th, 2003, 10:25 AM

Tamarindo is the name of the resort. It is a 45 minute drive north of Manzanillo on Mexico's Pacific West coast. Websites to the resort are listed in the threads above.
Old Mar 6th, 2003, 04:29 PM
Original Poster

We won the auction! We are so excited. However, it is the most nerve-wracking thing I've ever subjected myself to.

when we call the resort to make our reservations, how does this work? I saw the map on different world with the locations of all the villas. Do we get to choose which one or do they just assign us one?

Thank you guys so much. I would never have known about that site had you guys not mentioned it! Now we just have to find some cheaper airfares!
Old Mar 7th, 2003, 12:02 PM

WOW, I am so excited for you! See now you get to stay in a beachfront!! We had #8 which I loved but there is no bad one as you can see by the locations on differentworld. You make your reservations directly with the hotel after you get your "paid in full" e-mail from luxurylink. They should give you a contact number, person & e-mail. We had no problem. Let me know how it all turns out! Our friends are probably going the first week of July on our recommendation. The resort ought to give me a kick-back! Have a GREAT time!
Old Mar 9th, 2003, 08:26 AM

I have gone onto both the sites you recommended - luxurylink and the other -- if you win the bid what are the chances you don't get the week you need for your honeymoon? Do you have any experience with this? Also if you want to say more nights than the package do you know how that might work? Lastly, it is a bit difficult to see how the beach is at Tamarindo? Is it good to swim or too rough? Is there snorkling around? Thanks so much!
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 10:45 AM

I always contact the hotel before I bid to see if the timeframe I want is open. I always have gotten what I wnated. And yes, one package was for 6 nights & we wanted to stay 7 so the extra night you just arrange with the hotel not LuxutyLink. The beach at Tamarindo is nice, curved & wide & very swimmable. We just happened to have gone 2 days after Hurricane Kenna last October so it had washed up a bunch of ocean garbage & was rough at the time but looks like a good spot. Lots of other local beaches to visit also.