Flying in to Guadalajara - Itinerary suggestions needed for 11 nights

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26th, 2009, 04:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was hoping to fly into Manzanillo with my so-called 'free' airline tickets with Alaska Air. Turns out, I can only get to Guadalajara and Mexico City. The beach towns are already booked up (this is for next Christmas).
Do you think it's do'able to visit Guad., Santa Clara del Cobre and Patzcuaro? How about San Miguel? Or would it be best to fly into Mexico City?
Thanks so much
WA state
Old Jan 26th, 2009, 06:42 PM

Add in Morelia Mexico's cleanest & most sophisticated city with fabulous architecture. It's less than a hour via a 200 peso cab ride from Patzcuaro & just a bit over via bus. Be sure & hire a cab/driver at about $11 US per hour on a day's bases to tour Lake Patzcuaro's village all with a special trade.
Feel free to e-mail me with any questions as I visit this area every year & GLD about every two.
Ps Stay with GLD to fly into.
Old Jan 26th, 2009, 06:51 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the information. I just booked the air from SEA to Guadalajara. I'll have to wait a few days before I book our return (too early). We may stay 7 nights in Melaque and then 4 in Guadalajara/Tlaquepaque. OR???

Would 4 nights be too short a stay (or is it even feasible) to go to Patzcuaro for our remaining 4 nights? We'd be flying in to Guadalajara; bus to Melaque for a week; bus back to Guadalajara; stay 4 nights wherever sounds best. I've always wanted to visit Patzcuaro, but am thinking this might not be enough time.
Another question:
What are the best B&Bs in Guad/Tlaquepaque?
Thanks again
WA state
Old Jan 26th, 2009, 07:22 PM

OK My first choice of GLD hotel is the http://www.quintareal.com.mx/eng/idt.../4-2-5,5-3-13/
This is possibly the finest hotel in Mexico. At today's exchange rate a 720 Sq feet suite with spa tub is $168 US including a cooked to order breakfast of your choice in your Suite. Their philosophy is to fill ALL your needs, wants & desires. You will NEVER hear No at this fine hotel. We honeymooned there in '98 & return to Suite 45 every time we can. It include a a living, desk, dining & bedroom area. If it is too pricey check Hotel Mendoza agood hotel just steps from The Main Plaza. About $80 US.
I would spend one day less in Mêleque (a great little beach town) & add a night in Colima. Colima has possibly the most lovely Plaza in Mexico & has the added attraction of the twin Volcanoes. Then rather than stay in GLD just pass through going to Patzcuaro first then back to GLD for the finish.
4 days in Patzcuaro is a nice visit for the first time. The City is small but the lake attractions, Morelia's Plaza, Cathedral, aqueduct, & other attractions are wonderful.
PS There are a couple of B & B's in Tlaquepaque that get good reviews but unless you are a shopping nut a day in it is plenty. So Much to see in GLD I find Tlaguepaque just a little too tourist oriented for a long stay.
Old Jan 26th, 2009, 07:29 PM
Original Poster

Wow! You're very helpful. Thank you. I just figured we will have 5 more nights after we leave Melaque. For us, the 7 nights in Melaque is short. We usually stay longer. We enjoy fishing, boogie boarding and visiting with friends we've met there. So 5 more nights is what we have to work with.

Thanks again!
Old Jan 26th, 2009, 08:23 PM
Original Poster

Questions about the Quinta Real:
How are you able to find those rates? What room category do you usually book?
How do you get to and from the central area and the Tlaquepaque area?
Old Jan 27th, 2009, 05:50 AM

dcsam, We are just back from our first visit to Guadalajara. We had 3 days there which was plenty for us because we felt kind of stranded without a car. They have the open top tour buses that have a pre-recorded tape of the sights and we took that into Tlaqapaque for around $7US. It is very charming and if you are into hanging out an relaxing maybe a better place to stay than in the city. But it was very touristy so if you prefer being with locals then GDL is better. The Don Quinto San Jose (or something like that) is one of the favored B&B's there and we stopped and had a margarita in their courtyard which was very nice.

I would have liked to go to Tonala and maybe out to see what Lake Chapala is like so we should have rented a car for a day to see more. We stayed at Hotel Morales in one of the Imperial Suites so we could have windows outside and it was a good place to stay but noisy as we had a corner room so right by a busy intersection of buses and honking etc.

Hope that helps.
Old Jan 27th, 2009, 07:49 AM

Here's the Quinta Real web page. If you go to reservations they list the current price in dollars.
http://www.quintareal.com.mx/eng/idt.../4-2-5,5-3-13/
Old Jan 27th, 2009, 07:55 AM

PS We always stay in suite # 45 a Grand Classe suite. 710 sq feet with a Spa bath. Sunken bedrooms, Living, dining & business areas. Free Internet on line in suite.
They can arrange for a car & driver at about a 100 US per day. Well worth it. we used him on our honeymoon several days. Cabs are very reasonable in Guadalajara.
PS The Concierge can handle all you needs including bus tickets.