COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Honeymoon Help

Old Oct 20th, 2003, 11:35 AM
Original Poster

Honeymoon Help

My fiance and I are researching many different destinations to go to for our honeymoon. One of which is Mexico. We ahve found three places that seem to "fit" what we are looking for:
Ville del Sol (Zihuatanejo)
El Cayares (near Manzanillo)
El Tamarindo (also near Manzonillo)
Are there any opinions or reviews that may assist us in deciding?
Old Oct 20th, 2003, 06:04 PM

Hi there. I got married 3 months ago and we went to El Tamarindo. It was the most unbelievable honeymoon. I would highly suggest it. I have tons of pictures. I got a lot of info on this site. Feel free to email me at [email protected]
Old Oct 21st, 2003, 06:57 AM

I have been to all three. They are all very appropriate for a honeymoon, just depending on which "fits" you the best is what you have to decide. Careyes is the furtherest away from an airport, longest travel time, most remote as far as towns nearby. We mostly stayed put at the resort. We had a junior suite with plunge pool on 2nd story facing the beach & sunset. Has TV, phone. Great pool area, very good food, small cresent beach & one other restaurant in walking distance around the point. Many house rentals on the hillside. Freddie Prinze got married there. We went end of October (as we did with all 3) & it was quiet. Romantic dinner on the cliff side under tiki torches (only we got bit up by mosquitos! too close to dusk). Big work out room & many spa treatments available. We enjoyed it.
VDS - great lagoon suites, many options for dining along Las Ropas beach. You will have the most activities & dining options at this location plus the town of Zih to explore & Ixtapa if you chose. Great beach but of course many more people than either of the other 2 choices. You can jet ski, swim, fish, golf etc. It is a great hotel (didn't like the rule about not putting anything in the minibar though) and seems it is getting a bit big for the plot of land. Loved the beach lunches though with table set right up, tablecloth, silver, everything at your service. And having drinks & diner at various places you can walk to along the beach. Rooms have TV.
And then El Tamarindo. Went last October & we are leaving again Sunday to return. The most exotic of the locations. 45 minutes north of Manzanillo airport. Very secluded & romantic. Very South Seas island feel with the half open air bungalows & plunge pool. Lounges under the palapa style roof & breakfast brought to your room so you dine outside. It was wonderful!! No TV here, just CD players. Very tropical yet we had no insect bites, maybe just lucky but it was great. Local wildlife (raccoons & coatimundis) roam by or beg for jelly from breakfast. Kayaks, snorkeling, limited spa treatments, massages, nice beach & pool& of course if you play a fantastic looking gold course. Good restaurant or room service. You are close enough though to explore a few of the great little neighboring towns of Meleque & La Manzanilla for late lunches or souveniors & some provisions which you can use their minibar refrig, no problem. It is a good winding 10 minute drive off the highway, but once back on Hwy 200 you are not far from some towns. Obviously we liked it enough to return this year & we rarely do that, too many places to go. SO you have no bad choices, just which would suit you the best. There should be anniversaries to return to the others! If you have any questions, let me know. P.S. Hi "professor!"
Old Oct 21st, 2003, 12:00 PM

You should look for reviews and information on The Knot (wedding related) honeymoon chat boards - http://www.theknot.com.

There are tons of Mexico posts, there.
Old Oct 22nd, 2003, 05:28 PM

I have been a Knot user for a long time. There is very little info about El Careyes and Tamarindo on there. I actually wrote a lot of it. You'll get much more info searching thru old posts here.
Old Oct 22nd, 2003, 08:03 PM

Hi PeggyE!

David getas in Saturday at Villa Montana in La Manzanilla. Stop in for a cold one.I owe you!

Adios!

theprofessor
Old Oct 24th, 2003, 09:14 AM

To Professor:
We may take the resort pick up this time but if we rent a car we'll be out your way. I can walk up the hill this year!
Take care, but if we don't see ya, tell Dave hello also and have a cervesa for us!
Cat came limping home with a broken leg last night & now a solar flare-up! Hope nothing stands in our way!
Old Oct 24th, 2003, 01:20 PM

Just wanted to weigh in on this post- I am getting married in Vallarta and researching a honeymoon down the Costa Alegre - professor- would love to receive your Costa Alegre guide and more tips..
There are more luxury resorts in the Costa area- including Majahuitas, Hotelito Desconocido, Las Alamendas, - see mexicoboutiquehotels.com for some and info on others across the country. Many too expensive for us, even on a honeymoon!
But jlh is right that the knot has nothing...the majority of the travelers there are pretty unadventurous..
Anyway would love to hear more tips on the costa- budget and luxury alike- email me at [email protected]
Thanks!!
Old Oct 24th, 2003, 02:10 PM

I just wanted to put my vote in for one of the resorts that bkmnyc mentioned, Majahuitas. My husband and I went there last Christmas and it is definitely the most romantic hotel we have ever stayed in. It feels like you are on your own private island because it is only accessible by boat (even though you're actually in a cove). We woke up to fresh coffee on our deck outside our room and whales out in the cove every morning. It's all inclusive, which is something that we were wrorried about because we're both foodies, but the food was simply spectacular. We both still talk about it! It's very un-touristy - at one point, for awhile during our stay, we were the only American couple at the resort. It is not very well advertised, so most people only hear about it via word of mouth. We met some really wonderful people while we were there, mostly Mexicans from Mexico City. The first night we were there, however, we were THE ONLY COUPLE THERE (it is a very small resort). That meant we had four staff people and two chefs catering to our every need!! At night, everything is lit by candle light and someone comes to your room and lights candles all around the room each night while you're at dinner. The service was absolutely above and beyond. For example, one day we mentioned we wanted to go kayaking. They sent us out in our own kayak with two guides who kayaked us out to a secluded beach (complete with turquoise water and everything!), helped us dock our kayak, and then left . . . only to return with lunch packed in silver trays and linen napkins. They expertly navigated the ocean, making sure to avoid getting one drop of salt water on the food, docked their kayak, and set up lunch for us on the beach, complete with linens and silverware. They then arrived later that evening, packed up our lunch for us, and followed us back to the resort, just in time for dinner. It was so incredible! AND - the best part - you pay for everything, the all inclusive price, at the very end and so you aren't giving out money for everything the whole time you are there.
Old Oct 24th, 2003, 04:03 PM

Costa Alegre Road Log at: http://www.emilebymile.com/main/mexi..._map_logs.html

Enjoy!
Old Oct 25th, 2003, 09:50 AM

beachgirl- thanks for that review! I think we are starting out our trip w a night or 2 at Majahuitas- I have heard similar rave reviews! Sounds just idyllic and more affordable than some of the others in that area.
I've been debating how many nights- do you think 2 is enough?
thanks!
Old Oct 26th, 2003, 06:05 PM

2 would be enough, especially if you are a very active couple and will be itching to get into town and explore like we were! All of the Mexicans kept telling us "this is a place to do nothing!" So, you can really do as much or as little as you want. Personally, I don't think we could have stayed for more than the four days that we did because we really wanted to go explore PV. We spent the rest of our trip at La Quinta Real near the marina and it was a perfect end to the trip. Gorgeous hotel - once again, populated by a lot of Mexicans, mostly from Mexico City, which we liked. There are pictures of both hotels on differentworld.com (a great website and wonderful people - they're the ones that suggested the hotels and helped us coordinate our trip) - and I have some pictures that I can email you, if you'd like, of both places. Let me know if you have any more questions. I'd be more than happy to help. Congratulations on your wedding and upcoming honeymoon!
Old Oct 28th, 2003, 07:30 AM

beachgirl- thanks so much for the info! The differentworld site was awesome- I hadn't seen so many detailed photos before! And the QUinta Real looks fabulous. Could we email offline about your trip? I would love to see your photos. THanks - [email protected]