Vatulele

Old Feb 21st, 2004, 03:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vatulele

We are planning our honeymoon for September and are thinking of staying at Vatulele.

We are curious whether there are any water activities at the resort, specifically sailing, snorkeling, kayaking, fishing, etc.

The brochure focuses a lot on the Pointe, are the bures nice? Is there a problem with bugs in the bures because they are in the woods a bit? Would you recommend a specific bure #?

Finally, what is the food like, and is it communal dining every night or are there other options?

Thank you for your help!
Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 10:30 AM

We have stayed all over FP, Samoa, Cook Islands & Fiji and Vatulele is our favorite. The Pointe is the house up on the cliff, it used to belong to the owner's partner. It is twice $$ as the beach bures, but if you have the $$ go ahead. There are all the activities you described and diving. We snorkeled, swam, kayaked sailed & spent the afternoon on a deserted island, had breakfast on a quiet beach alone, had dinner in the wine cellar, in a gazebo on the cliff & on the beach. We only communal dined at lunch & once at dinner after attending a wedding at the resort. Breakfast was always in our bure or on our terrace. There are the same amount of bugs there as are anywhere in the SP. Sometimes you run into them, sometimes you don't, no big deal. The food & service are fantastic, gourmet and customized if necessary. Great wines. We were in Bure #4, next to the dining pavilion but very secluded. At first we thought it would be too close but actually we were able to put our flag in the sand & get the bartender in a second & close enough to go grab a bottle of champagne & a hobie cat & take a sunset sail. I think if we were down in #17 or 18 it would have been too far. The bures are numbered 1 thru 4 on the south (?) side of the dining pavilion & then 5 thru I believe 19 on the north side. I though at the time the beach was smoother on our side, but that all changes with seasons. I don't think you can go wrong with Vatulele, yes there are cheaper places but I think you get what you pay for here.
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 11:38 AM
Original Poster

PeggyE,

It sounds like true paradise! Thank you for taking the time to respond and share your experience at Vatulele. It seems to have everything we are looking for in a honeymoon destination. We still haven't been able to make a decision as we are trying to decide between Vatulele and Pearl Resorts Le Taha'a in French Polynesia. It's tough! Have you ever been to Le Taha'a? My greatest curiosity, which is hardly a concern, is the bugs. I have never been to the South Pacific and have NO idea what to expect and am hoping that in September, bug life will be quiet.

Many thanks again for your helpful thoughts!
Old Feb 27th, 2004, 10:23 AM

Hi SeaPuff,
I haven't been to Taha'a but have been to Bora Bora & Moorea. Those islands are beautiful & we went several times but just for our taste they started to get too built up and it was time to try other places. Hmmm, bugs, hard question. Everybody has different experiences at different times. The worst I ever got bit up was on Turtle Island & they had big spiders. But other people have gone & said they didn't see a thing. We went to Vatulele in May (same as Turtle) & encountered very few mosquitos & one large centipede that ran away faster than I could! I'm not overly fond of bugs but we predominately vacation in tropical places usually in May or Sept/Oct which is the least rainy months. Never had a bug problem that would keep me away! Most upscale resorts try to control any pests but it is nature, that's why it is so green & pretty. But no, you do not see tons of bugs milling around ready to jump on you! Go and enjoy, you'll find your fears unfounded. And congrats on the wedding!
Old May 2nd, 2004, 07:36 PM

We have been slowly narrowing our search down for a Fiji 20th Anniversary trip. Vatulele looks awesome and, from the recommendations of several of you in this forum, we are leaning that way.

One of our concerns is that they do not have phones. We will be leaving kids with the grandparents and do not want to be "totally" out of touch. Do cell phones work?

Also, how hot does is get in May. With no A/C, we just want to be sure we don't sweat to death. Any thoughts?
Old May 3rd, 2004, 11:14 AM

While there aren't phones in the roons in the island resorts in Fiji they all have phones in the office, or available for guests to use. I've had my cell phone work on the islands closer to the mainland (Navini) but not further out. The cell phone system is the same as in Australia - so I don't think USA phones will work. April through Octobor is the best time to visit Fiji - not too hot and humid (and all of the islands get wonderful sea breezes).