Search

Snorkeling around Cancun

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1st, 2009, 04:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Snorkeling around Cancun

5 women who LOVE to snorkel will be staying in Hotel Zone in Cancun at end of May. Are there any good spots to snorkel off the beach within driving distance or is all the good snorkeling to be done by boat tours. We plan to go to Isla Mujeres and Cozumel also on day trips and do tours from there. Any snorkeling beaches on those islands? Also, any recommendations on tours or do we just pick one from the docks? Thanks!
Old Apr 1st, 2009, 07:06 PM

There's great snorkeling in Puerto Morelos. You need a guide with a boat to go out to the reef because it's a national park, but, it's only 5-10 minutes out. It costs about $25 and they'll usually take you to two different spots on the reef. There is also great snorkeling right off the beach between Villas Playasol and the boat launch on the South side of the Carmen beach hotel. We go out daily when we're in town. We've seen rays, turtles, eels, lots of coral and colorful fish. Have a great trip!!!
Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 04:05 AM

www.xelha.com very special
Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 07:42 AM

Where are you staying? If you are on the side of Cancun facing Isla Mujeres you should be able to snorkle right at your beach. Xel-ha mentioned above is wonderful, but don't go on a tour. Rent a car and get there early in the morning before the tours arrive.
Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 09:44 AM

I went to Cancun in February with two of my roommates. We took a tour with aquaworld to Isla Muejeres. It was an all inclusive day with breakfast, lunch and unlimited drinks all day. It was only $70. The boat ride to the island was really fun mostly because the staff was very friendly and entertaining. If you go definitely sit on top! The beach was pretty nice with hammocks and a cute bar and lunch served in a little hut type structure on the beach. We went snorkeling for 30 minutes a little way off the beach with the staff. It was amazing and my first time snorkeling. I'm hooked! They also had kayaks and things off the beach if you dont like to just lay out. Also there are golf carts provided to see mayan ruins and a turtle farm. The lunch was really really really good in my opinion, typical Mexican fare. Did i mention the drinks? Cause they were awesome. The staff then takes you by boat downtown to go shopping. its a very cool vibrant shopping scene and the public beach is even prettier than the private one! Great restaurants too, we had queso cause we were kinda tired. And there was a dance party on the way back! So if you want snorkeling and more this is the way to go!
Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 05:01 PM
Original Poster

We are staying in the Hotel Zone facing the Caribbean Sea - I think Isla Mujeres is North a bit.
Thanks to all you have responded so far - it is so helpful having advice from people who have been... Keep em coming.

We do plan on having a rental car so we will drive everywhere we go and would love to beat the crowds - I have heard that Xel-ha is really over-done touristy - is this true?
Old Apr 3rd, 2009, 11:35 AM

On Isla, most of the best snorkeling is done offshore by boats, although you can rent a golf cart to tour the island (lots of fun, about US$45-50 for 9-5 rental) and stop at Hotel Garrafon de Castillo right next door to the big Garrafon park. Garrafon de Castillo is about US$4-5 entrance and snorkel rental is about $6. There are cold showers, lockers, changing rooms and clean rest rooms along with a snack bar. Garrafon park right next door is AI, never been myself, but you get all the food and drink etc.
Old Apr 3rd, 2009, 01:38 PM
kja

Hi, klmor -

You can also try snorkeling in some of the cenotes south of Cancun. For one possibility, check into Hidden Worlds:

http://www.hiddenworlds.com.mx/

Enjoy!
Old Apr 4th, 2009, 12:46 PM
KVR

Take a tour that goes to reef at Maroma Beach. Very good snorkeling and a very nice beach with resturant.

In Cozumel, try Chanakaab Park. Nice snorkeling from their beach, though it is not zero entry. You'll have to climb steps to get in and out of the water.

Puerto Morelos is supoosed to have some of the best snorkeling in that area. We haven't made it there yet. Pretty far from Cancun as is Xel-Ha.

Aqua World has a boat tour to snorkel spots in Cancun. We didn't find much shore snorkeling directly in Cancun.

Xcaret has lagoons and open water snorkeling. We much preferred it over Xel-Ha. More things to see and do besides water related activities. The night show was great.