Side trip to Oaxaca from Huatulco

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 05:24 PM
jen

Side trip to Oaxaca from Huatulco

Will be in Huatulco for the first time in late February/early March, and am comsidering a side trip to Oaxaca City-- just overnight, in early one morning, and back late the following day. Obviously, we'll want to fly, as I understand that it's quite a haul over land. It seems that air service in and out of Huatulco changes constantly- anyone have any recent info as to which (if any) airlines fly direct between HUX and Oaxaca? I checked Mexicana/Aerocaribe, but all flights on the website are routed through Mexico City. We're willing to fly on a little prop plane, if there's a charter company that provides this service. Also, any advice on decent, but inexpensive hotels near the zocolo?

Thanks in advance!

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 06:45 PM
dee

oaxaca is huatulco. We went there 3 years ago in march and it was absolutly beautiful. I've been to 7 different desinations, and none of them can beat huatulco. Not even costa rica. I want to go back. We stayed at the gala and it was the best. Not one complaint about anything.

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 06:29 AM
jen

Dee-- actually, I meant the CITY of Oaxaca, not the state--

heard nothing but good things about Huatulco, can't wait to get there and out of this icebox I'm living in!!

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 06:36 PM
D

I go to Oaxaca City regularly- I constantly see ads for daily service via prop plane, but I can't remember the name of the airlines. I can say these trips are advertised at various travel agencies around town. You are right about the bus, it has been 9 hours plus in my experience to Huatulco. If you read Spanish this site will tell you anything you want to know about what to do in Oaxaca:
http://www.oaxaca-mio.com/

Also, why not make it two nights to Oaxaca City. If you arrived on a Saturday night you could go to Mitla for ruins, then back to Tlatcolula for market day, Yagul for more ruins, Teotilan de Valle for weaving then back to Oaxaca for dinner somplace like el catedral. I take the bus, but with your schedule you might want a cab. You could get a lot of culture in two days. Have fun.

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 07:10 PM
Angie

Try AreoMexico. I've been to Huatulco, and it's beautiful. A tranquil, relaxing place with beautiful beaches. In Oaxaca...mitla is nice, but Monte Alban is much more impressive. Oaxaca is a wonderful city you might want to consider staying for more than one night. There is so much culture there with the art, music and the cathederals. Go to El Sargario...the bar downstairs has a live band playing latin music. Upstairs is a casual restaurant. There's a very nice restaurant at the zocalo right near La iglesia de la soledad. I can't remember the name, but it's great food at a reasonable price. Wonderful service in a courtyard atmosphere. You can get some traditional Oaxacan dishes there.