Any Experience Taxco & Pyramids?

Old Mar 13th, 2006, 08:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any Experience Taxco & Pyramids?

Hi all! I'm planning a trip to Mexico. We want to mostly relax. Really want to see the pyramids and maybe some other ancient site or two. Other than that I'm thinking Taxco would be a quaint town to spend a few nights and just wander around.

I would appreciate any advice on this trip. We are not really into the beach. Also, would like to drive to these places if it's not to difficult.

Thanks & happy travels, Lily
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 01:26 PM

I think Oaxaca might fit the bill, culture ruins, scenery, etc. Taxco is nice. If you are flying into MEX I suggest getting around via first class bus. If you really want to rent a car, rent it when you get to your destination. When you get to Taxco, for example, you will see why. Limited parking, and also, most places in MEX you need a secure place to leave your car.
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 04:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply Dude. Any details on a good bus? Also, sorry to sound dumb but do you mean Oaxaca instead of Taxco?
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 05:10 AM

i went to mexico years ago. we went to taxco, mexico city, merida, cancun, and had a few stops in between. taxco was by far my favorite. it's so picturesque. we stayed in the posada de la mision hotel - beautiful. the hotel has a restaurant which i'll never forget: a huge panoramic window which displays all the twinking lights of the little white houses on the mountainside while you dine and listen to mariachis. shopping at the silver outlets was amazing - just make sure the silver is stamped .925 to verify its authenticity. make sure to visit the santa prisca cathedral as well.
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 06:46 AM

I was talking about both. Oaxaca would be my fist choice, although I went to Taxco for the first time in a long time last summer and enjoyed it. Different bus lines run to different places. E.g. Estrella de Oro would be a nice choice from Mexico City to Taxco. From Mexico City to Oaxaca,ADO Plus, ADO GL, or ADO UNO are all fine with UNO being super deluxe. You could go to both places but I would guess they are about 10 hours apart. For better or worse you have to go through Mexico City. On the route to Taxco you could add in Cuernavaca and on the route Oaxaca you could add in Puebla and experience a lot of variety in food, culture, architecture, etc.
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 08:46 AM

our bus stopped in cuernavac on the way back to mexico city -- if i remember correctly, cuernavaca is where chocolate was accidentally discovered...but i could be very wrong about that.
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 09:10 AM
Original Poster

Great advice - really helped me to make some plans. As far as the pyramids, will it work to just wait until we get to MC and have to the hotel arrange for a car & driver to take us for a day outing or are there tours that work well????
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 11:44 AM
Original Poster

Old Mar 21st, 2006, 04:13 PM

I saw the pyramids and also went to Taxco, loved both. Actually, Mexico City is in my top 5 favourite places. The Anthropology musuem is a must!! Even if you don't like musuems, I think anyone would enjoy it.

Taxco is awesome for some really good shopping all made by locals such as pottery. I picked up so much stuff , it's also known for it's silver...lots of silver shopping if you're into that.
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 04:17 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all who responded. Just back from Tampa where I met with a customer from Mexico City and he confirmed that Taxco will work for what I'm looking for. He has been kind enough to offer an employee to drive us which will be fantastic. I'll post trip report later.