Search

Mexico advise please

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10th, 2008, 03:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mexico advise please

We're flying into Mexico City and are thinking of spending 2 days there and 2.5 days in the Yucatan area. (We have 5 days in total in Mexico, excluding international travel). We are not great beach going people, more like the architecture, sight-seeing type, may be a some horseback riding and a couple of hours in a beach max.

1) What are the top 3 to 5 things to see/visit/do in/around Mexico City

2) What would be a good place to stay in the Yucatan area and what would be the top 3 things to see/do/visit there/

3) What would be the safest way to travel from Mexico City to Yucatan and back/ How long does it take/

Thanks for all your help
2)
Old Feb 10th, 2008, 04:04 AM

If it's not too late to change plans, given that you are "not great beach going people" and based on what you indicate your interests are I'd say go to the charming Colonial towns a bit north of Mexico City.

Places like San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato or Queretaro would likely be of more interest than the tourist-clogged beach towns in the Yucatan, and it's easier to travel to these.

Bill
Old Feb 10th, 2008, 05:14 AM

With the imited time you are indicating the only way to travel to the Yucatan would be by plane. Just guessing, in a first class bus you are talking maybe 20 hours. I agree with the above. I'd stick in the Mexico City area. For the short ammount of time you have I would do Taxco, Cuernavaca and Tepotzlan, or passing on these and adding Puebla. For me to see in Mexico City- in no particular order, Templo Mayor, Rivera murals in the National Palace,Cathedral, Museum of Anthropology, Chapultepec Castle, La Basilica de Guadalupe and out to Teotihuacan.
Old Feb 10th, 2008, 08:10 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I agree with staying in the Mexico City area with the interests you state. It will take too much time out of your short 5 days, either by bus or plane to fly over to the Yucatan (especially when you don't much care about the beach).
Old Feb 10th, 2008, 10:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advise. We have to go to a place called Merida since the teen wants to see a place called Chichen Itza and she said.

Did not realize it took 20 hours to go from MC to Merida? I will look up a plane then (can't really say no to the teen, college bound soon!)