Distance from Peace Lodge to Arenal

Feb 8th, 2008, 10:20 AM
Original Poster

Distance from Peace Lodge to Arenal

Can anyone tell me how far Arenal is from Peace Lodge? Since we are not planning on renting a car, should I be able to arrange a private driver with either Peace Lodge or our hotel near Arenal? Thanks!
Feb 9th, 2008, 02:26 PM

Hi CritterP

We rented a car at the Airport, stayed first night at Orquideas (loved it), then drove to Poas next am and even saw the volcano before it clouded over about 10 am, then to Peace Lodge, hiked for 2 hours, loving the butterflies etc.... then we drove on to Arenal, arriving about 4:00 pm. It was not a long drive (2 hours?) but at times, the signage was a bit confusing.

We are soooooo glad that we had our rental car, even if it was a piece of poop. We worried sometimes about our luggage in it, but we never had any problems.

We drove from Arenal to MA, then back to Vista del Valle for our last night in CR (I think we had 9 nights....) We drove from our lovely little hotel to the MA beach park each day, easy parking, easy drive.

I would not hesitate renting a car, if you are remotely considering it. I do remember reading a number of posts regarding private drivers....

Good luck!

Feb 10th, 2008, 06:09 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your reply. We are arriving in San Jose and driving to Peace Lodge for first night. Next, we are going to Arenal for 2 nights and then to Manuel Antonio for 3 nights. Then we are heading back to San Jose. Did you stop at the crocodile bridge on your way to MA? I'm a little scared of our luggage being taken when we stop for snack and bathroom breaks. It would be nice to have a car and not have to rely on taxis and private drivers. Thanks!
Feb 10th, 2008, 09:13 AM

Critter, if you stop at the Rio Tarcoles to see the crocs, I would be careful to have someone in your party stay with your luggage. It has a reputation for break-ins. There was even a sign there saying not to leave your car unattended - you would probably be okay, but better safe than sorry, just a couple of minutes is all it takes.
Feb 10th, 2008, 03:09 PM

Peace Lodge was beautiful! Its great that ya'll are staying there one night.

We did stop and peer over the bridge at the crocs sunning themselves. We weren't there that long, and our car was never out of our sight there....

Good luck with your decision!
Feb 10th, 2008, 04:31 PM

We've hired a van, driver, and English speaking guide to pick us up at Peace Lodge, take us to Arenal, and stay with us while in Arenal. Apparently this is pretty common in Costa Rica, and easy to arrange if you don't want to do the driving yourself.