Mexico City and ? advice needed

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13th, 2008, 03:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband, 19 year old daughter and I are going to Mexico City the first week of September. We have 8-9 days. Do we have time to go someplace other than Mexico City? I would like to spend a few days in a smaller town as well, if possible. If so, where would you suggest? How many days should we allocate for Mexico City?
Old Jul 14th, 2008, 10:48 AM

Yes, you have time. Give Mexico City about 4-5 days. Zocalo, Archaeological Museum, Chapultepec, Condesa, Coyoacan, Teotihouacan. Yep, 4-5 days. Then I would suggest Oaxaca, Guanajuato, or Queretaro. You can fly home from any of these cities without backtracking to Mexico City.

Guanajuato and Oaxaca are 5-6 hours by bus. You could also fly. Queretaro is about 3 hours by bus. Lots of people also like Puebla - 2 hours.

I would avoid the beach in early September, just in case you were considering it.

Have a great time!
Old Jul 14th, 2008, 02:13 PM

Puebla would be my recommendations, only 3 hours from DF by bus.
Old Jul 14th, 2008, 02:44 PM

Agree with the Puebla suggestion--we were just in both places--had a great time. Little over 2 hours by bus.
Old Jul 14th, 2008, 05:13 PM

Eight to nine days is a long time. Definitely head out of Mexico City for a few days. Depending on how much you want to explore Mexico City, I think you can see a lot in 4-5 days, including a trip to the pyramids. Puebla is very interesting but with so much time you can go further afield. Look at Guanjuato and Oaxaca. The former is likely the best preserved colonial city in Mexico, the latter has outstanding art and food. Both are easily doable from DF. Indeed, depending on your inclination, and your wallet, you could even head to a beach for four days, and catch a cheap flight from DF. Have fun. Mexico City is terrific.
Old Jul 15th, 2008, 08:01 PM

I had 7 nights in Mexico City, and took three daytrips, to Puebla/Cholula, to Teotihuacan/Shrine of Guadalupe/Plaza de tres culturas, and to Xochimilco/Coyoacan. Of course I saw numerous sights in Mexico City too. If I had taken another day in Mexico City, it wouldn't have been too much.

So yes - you could definitely spend the whole time in Mexico City with daytrips, and I think it would be time well spent. It will mainly depend on your personal traveling style, as to whether you prefer to add another location. Flying open-jaw would definitely help.
Old Jul 15th, 2008, 09:50 PM

I'd add Taxco as a possibility for a couple of nights. I like the idea of Puebla above too. Or, as above, you could certainly head down to Oaxaca as well. Busing takes a while, but it is a very scenic trip.
Old Jul 16th, 2008, 03:46 AM

I second Taxco. I had 10 days in Mexico City. I don't think you will want to only split between 2 places as it may be too much time.

What I did:

Overnight trips: I spent 2 days in Puebla and 3 days in Acapulco/Taxco (is on the way back). Good shopping for hand made pottery in Taxco.

Day trips: Teotihouacan.

Mexico City: Chapultepec, Freida Kahlo's house, Archaeological museum, Coyoacan, just walking around at a leisurely pace.

I'd also say the Archaeological museum is a must see if you even remotely like Mayan history. I could've easily spending 3 days there.
Old Jul 19th, 2008, 01:24 PM
Original Poster

THank you all for your input. Now I have to make some decisions! I'm thinking that we will spend a few nights in another location now. For those of you who recommended Oaxaca, do you recommend we stay in Oaxaca City or another location? I'm also considering Guanajuato as I hear the town is beautiful. What about San Miguel de Allende?
Old Jul 19th, 2008, 02:01 PM
Original Poster

Okay, I need a little more advice. I think we've decided to stay about 4-5 days in Mexico city and then 3 days elsewhere -- should it be Guanajuato or Oaxaca? I'm thinking Guanajuato because it might be easier to fly home from there?
Old Jul 19th, 2008, 02:32 PM
Original Poster

Well, i think we may have decided with 4-5 days in Mexico City, bus to Guanajuato with 2 full days there. Where would you all recommend that we stay in Guanajuato? I like nice hotels but I want to feel the style of Guanajuato -- I saw Villa Maria Cristina online. Looks nice? any other recommendations?
Old Jul 19th, 2008, 04:07 PM
Original Poster

I also saw Casa Estrella de la Valenciana. THoughts?