To Oaxaca direct or via Mexico City form LAX

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20th, 2005, 10:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As we only have a week for Mexico (this time around !) Would you recommend flying directly to a base point in Oaxaca or spend a day/night in Mexico city ?
Old Apr 21st, 2005, 05:32 AM

Mexico City is a fantastic place to visit, but it can be overwhelming. You might want to fly directly to Oaxaca instead - there is plenty there to keep you occupied for the week that you'll be there. We've been to Mexico City a few times, and I don't have any concerns about staying there overnight, but as I said, it can be overwhelming.
Old Apr 21st, 2005, 08:41 AM

Definitely skip Mexico City if you are only staying one night. Oaxaca and its surrounding will have enough for you to do for a week. Mexico City is a fabulous place to visit, but you need more time to enjoy it.
Old Apr 21st, 2005, 09:04 AM

Absolutely. I think 3-4 days minimum in D.F.----flying directly to OAX might just be the answer---for this trip! Let us in on your trip details! (Will you be staying at Mis Recuerdos? When I called last week, they still had several rooms available, but I was hoping for the apartment, which is currently booked until Sept. 9th!) !Buen viaje!
Old Apr 21st, 2005, 02:29 PM

There are direct de luxe buses between Mexico City Airport and Puebla you might spend the night there instead of Mexico City and then I think its four more hours by excellent bus service de luxe to Oaxaca.
Bus tickets , including reserve seats can be easily bought by phone from the US.
Old Apr 21st, 2005, 03:24 PM
Original Poster

At this stage I am thinking about flying direct to Mexico city from Brisbane, Australia with JAL ! Hell of a haul but it gets us there ! I figured best to start at the bottom of the journey and work north ! If we do that I just thought a night in a Motel in MC and a day of walking around might help us get our land legs again !
Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 10:23 AM

It you do want to stay for the night in Mex City, then stay in Centro Historico. You will be in the center of the historic center with the cathedral, presidential palace, zocalo, and not to be missed Templo Mayor. That will give you enough to see in one day and then continue on to Oaxaca. There are also great restaurants in the area overlooking the zocalo from the terrace. It is beautiful to have dinner at night overlooking the Zocalo.
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 12:47 AM
Original Poster