Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

1st trip to Mexico: Mexico City or Oaxaca?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2006, 11:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are thinking of going to Mexico in Sept or Oct for a 5-7 day trip, and would probably want to enjoy one city instead of moving around.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 11:31 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I would not tackle the DF on a 1st trip, just my opinion.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 12:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suze,

Are you referring to safety issues? That is something we are defintely concerned about.

We would like to see some sites and thought we would get a vacation pkg that included airfare, hotel, and some add-on sightseeing tours. But we want to be fairly independent for the the most part; not shuttled around on a tour bus the whole time.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 12:29 PM
Pausanias

My first trip to Mexico was to Mexico City. I found it fascinating and have since returned. We've also gone further afield to Oaxaca, Puebla, Merida and Playa.

Mexico city is an edgy, exciting place. There is a definate element of danger. Two friends foolishly jammed onto the subway at Hidalgo and had their pockets picked. You don't want to wander around lonely streets at night. You take radio cabs. If you follow those rules you'll probably be fine. The attractions of the city are many, starting with the Templo Mayor and the Anthropology Museum and extending at least as far across the alphabet as Xochimilco. Oops, forgot Z for Zocalo. An unforgettable but not exactly relaxing city. I'll be back.

Now Oaxaca is a beautiful colonial city and makes most people feel comfortable immediately. The Zocalo scene is fun and laid-back. In fact, the city almost exactly matched my idea of what Mexico was supposed to be like. You can easily spend your week exploring the town, Monte Alban, Mitla and the surrounding area.

We arrived in Oaxaca on our second trip to Mexico after a three day stay in the DF. The contrast was obviously dramatic. I wouldn't be afraid of Mexico City, just prepared. Both cities are wonderful destinations, with MC definitely the headier experience.

Old May 23rd, 2006, 01:09 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
First off, I have never been to either place.

For me the hesitation would be because it is so darn HUGE... And yes some safety issues as well. But more because logistics necessarily are more complicated. Mexico City would take some planning, and I don't care for tour packages.

Oaxaca you could show up and take a walk around, figure things out on the fly and comfortably travel on your own rather than a packaged tour imo.

This is merely my observation comparing experiences -in La Paz and Puerto Vallarta- as far as size, safety, and ease of geting to know a place.