Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Crime in Mexico City and other Mexican states--worse lately?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4th, 2004, 02:50 PM
Beethoven

My wife just heard a PBS story about increased crime in Mexico. We've all heard of this in past and are generally aware of dos and don'ts. However, does anyone know if crime is worse lately? We plan 3 days in Mexico City and 7 days in Oaxaca.

Old Jul 4th, 2004, 05:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MEX is bad!
Other small towns and vills require the same judgement you use anywhere in the world.
M
Old Jul 5th, 2004, 05:31 AM

Returned two weeks ago from two weeks in Oaxaca City which we do at least once a year, sometimes more. We did not notice any difference, nor did we have anyone tell us of being a crime victim. As usual we traveled throughout the Oaxaca Valley on public transporation and visitied various places. We also took a two day trip to Puebla which was quite enjoyable. Regarding Mexico City I have never had a problem there, but have always been cautious. Interestingly, in various conversations with Mexican friends in Oaxaca, they expressed much fear and anxiety about the crime situation in Mexico City and said it was not a good place to go. Last week week 250,000 + people marched in Mexico City in an march protesting crime. It seems that crime really is becoming a big concern there as far as Mexicans are concerned anway.
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 08:49 AM

I've lived in Mexico City for the past few years and while I don't think crime has gotten worse lately, I also don't think it's gotten much better. Some say the big anti-crime protest march last week was more politically motivated, i.e. intended to send a message to the left-wing Mexico City mayor that he won't get the support of the middle and upper classes if he tries to run for President next year.

You'll have a wonderful time in Mexico City but you should take those "do's and don'ts" seriously.
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 09:37 AM

About what do's and dont's, think the usual keep-low-profile, no-jewelry, no-large-amounts-of-cash, if-it-looks-dangerous-avoid-it.

Additionaly, in Mexico City you should consider:

- If you need to use an ATM, try one inside your hotel, inside a shopping center... inside somewhere!

- As much as you can, pay with your cards, but always have some cash (think 500 pesos, US $45) available. The Mexican economy is not as plastified as others.

- NEVER, EVER, hail a cab on the street. Arrange for a "Sitio" to pick you up, or take a taxi at your hotel.

Mexico City is a truly wonderful place. There is crime, as in many other large metro areas, and a few sensible precautions should be enough for you to have a great trip. Go to the Archeology museum, to the Zocalo and the Templo Mayor, to Teotihuacan (if you have the time), and to Coyoacan. If you are there on a saturday, the "Bazaar del Sabado" in San Angel is a really nice way to spend a day.
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 04:12 PM

We went to MC and Cuernavaca at easter (you can see my trip report on this site) and had no problems. As a matter of fact, I actually felt safer than I did in parts of Europe last summer. We did use Sitio cabs but some we hailed off the street as it wasn't always convenient to call them. We also took the subway. I did leave my large engagement ring at home but I usually do that anyway when I travel.

Have a great time.
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 08:36 AM
loveopera

International relocation companies are placing expariots in gated compounds in Mexico City. This tells you something. It is such an unpleasant city with all the smog. Be careful and get out of there quick.

Old Jul 8th, 2004, 11:33 AM

I couldn't let the last reply stand. Yes, there is more concern than in the past about crime, but crime was almost nonexistent previously. Yes, depending on weather conditions, smog can sometimes be a problem. But Mexico City is a place of such history and culture, with such marvelous museums and restaurants, that it is well worth visiting, and the weather is often pleasant enough. We and a dozen of our friends spent a long weekend there in February to celebrate my husband's birthday. All of our friends--most of whom had never been to Mexico City and all of whom were only there for my husband's event--were charmed and amazed by Mexico City, and most plan to return again. It was bright and sunny, the food was fantastic, the museums stunning, the Bazaar Sabado a real pleasure--I could go on, but I think you get the idea!
Old Jul 10th, 2004, 07:58 AM

Thanks for your comments marilyln! I would not hesitate to go to Mexico City at anytime. We have gated communties and air pollution where I live in the U.S.--but that doesn't make me feel unsafe.
By all means, go to Mexico City and enjoy!