Search

Mexico in September

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9th, 2005, 05:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mexico in September

Hola, fodorites! I'm going to Mexico City with my boyfriend in late August and would then like to travel around the country for about 2-3 weeks. Our interests are history, culture, architecture, locals, and, of course, playas -- after all, we're from Brazil. Would anyone recommend places to go and see? What about not-too-expensive restaurants and hotels?
Old Jul 10th, 2005, 05:25 AM

After visting Mexico City I would head to Puebla for a couple of days, then on to Oaxaca City which I think you would find quite interesting as far as culture, history, ruins, architecture, etc. For the beach it depends what you want. Huatulco in Oaxaca state is more upscale. Puerto Escondido is more laid back. This whole itinerary can be done via first class buses, about 1 and 1/2 hours to Puebla, 4 to Oaxaxa, then a long haul to the beach overnight, about 8 hours.
Old Jul 23rd, 2005, 11:20 AM
Original Poster

thanks a lot, dude!

we're not the upscale type, so laid-back playas are better -- as long as they're charming, nice, and beautiful of course

i'm also looking for B&Bs and info on how to rent a car, if necessary. can anyone help with that?
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 10:12 AM

I'll suggest a circular route that takes you from Mexico City > Taxco > Acapulco > Zihuatanejo > Patzcuaro > Morelia > Mexico City. Going by bus is what I recommend instead of renting a car. There's not much of a culture of B&B's in Mexico, but inexpensive (clean and safe) hotels abound, starting in the US$20/double range (even in places like Acapulco).
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 09:44 PM

While in MC, be sure to see the Museo Nacional de Antropologia. Here you will learn all about Mexico's pre-history through amazing artifacts. The museum is located in Chapultepec Park which has a number of other museums (that I'm sure will strike your interest) as well as zoos, castles, etc. Also in MC, check out the Templo Mayor in downtown. It is a museum dedicated to Aztec culture. In the 1970s, electrical workers dug into a major artifact and soon archaeologists discovered that the main Aztec center was located under downtown Mexico City. So many artifacts (and important temples) were found that building was re-directed around the ancient structures and a museum was created to preserve the finds. In this downtown general area you will see 3 phases of Mexican history...Aztec, Spanish, and Modern. Pretty cool stuff. On a different note, be sure to check out the markets...amazing! For a day trip, head to Teotihuacan - the largest pyramids in the Americas. It is breath taking and an easy ride. There is bus service (cheap and easy) from MC and it only takes about 90 minutes to get there). Be sure to pack a lunch. Finally, you cannot miss out on Plaza Garibaldi for great mariachi music and food.

Speaking of mariachi music, if you are heading to western Mexico, I would suggest Guadalajars...the home of mariachis, tequila, and glass blowing.

To the south, Taxco is a cool little silver mining city. IF oyu want to hit Spring Break 2005, go to Acapulco. It's super dirty, but you can find some nice beaches.

On the southeast, head to Oaxaca City. Great food and crafts markets. In Oaxaca, head to Huatulco - famous for beaches (surfers love it there).

If you head east, go to Chiapas and hit the town of San Cristobal de las Casas. It's a cute little, almost European town (lots of Spanish influence), but you will find it quite charming and welcoming. Plus, the surrounding areas of Chiapas are home to many indigenous cultures of Mexico.

Finally, for the most beautiful beaches, you can't beat the Yucatan. Skip Cancun and head to the town of Akumal. Quaint, friendly, fun, beautiful, and full of tasty restaurants.

Hope this helps!
Old Aug 6th, 2005, 02:40 PM
Original Poster

gracias de nuevo for all the nice tips!

actually, i've already been on a 1-week business trip to DF. it was back in 2002 and i got to visit templo mayor and some other really nice places -- but not the ones more to the south, like the anthropology museum and frida's house.

being Brazilian, i also must add that i simply MUST visit the Aztec stadium. does anyone know if there'll be regular season games Sep. 5-8th and 20-23rd?