Search

Return to Oaxaca

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26th, 2004, 08:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Return to Oaxaca

Last February I traveled to Oaxaca with a group of doctors and assistants to bring eye exams and glasses to people who couldn't otherwise afford them. It was a wonderful experience, and I really enjoyed the city during the brief free time I had. I loved everything--the streets, the bright-colored buildings, the market, and oh, the food! I was determined not to order anything that I could easily get at home, and there was not one thing I tried that I didn't like. Santo Domingo was so beautiful I couldn't even describe it to people back home. I especially enjoyed practicing my (remedial) Spanish.

I'll be returning to Oaxaca with this same group this coming February , and I'd be interested in hearing about any restaurants, shops, entertainment, etc. that other Fodors posters have enjoyed--I'm open to trying new things! I'll be on foot, so I'm looking for places within a few blocks of the zocalo. Also, I'm an assistant, so nothing too expensive, please.
Old Nov 26th, 2004, 08:57 AM

You might want to check out Chowhounds.com - they have an international forum and there have been some recent posts about food in Oaxaca. I'm making my notes from there - I'll be going to Oaxaca in late February and am lookng forward to it. We were there probably 10 or 11 years ago, so I'm sure it's changed.
Old Dec 3rd, 2004, 09:51 AM

We really enjoyed the Guelagetza (sp) dancers and excellent buffet on Friday eve at the Camino Real hotel
Old Dec 3rd, 2004, 05:32 PM

I have been to Oaxaca numerous times with my students each sping and have enjoyed the food. Some of the nicer placer are Quince Letras, Catedral and El Naranjo. However, I much prefer an early morning licuado (fruit smoothie) and a tamal from a local vendor in one of the stalls in the markets. Also there is a wonderful Oaxacan tradition of having a cool sorbet called "nieve" in front of La Soledad church. Late at night there is a great taco place on the corner of Porfirio Diaz and Queztalcoatl. Buen provecho!
Old Dec 4th, 2004, 04:21 AM

I was there in August and there is a restuarant located on top of one of the hills that overlooks the city and the Oaxaca Valley that is a stunning view especially at dusk. I can't remember the name of it but I am sure the locals will know. It was very cheap as well
Old Dec 4th, 2004, 05:10 AM

2 more ideas. 1, Las Golandrinas is a gorgeous B&B---very economical and rather close to Santa Domingo
2. La Olla---a restaurant we kept going back to.
PS The restaurant in the Zocola Casa de Abuela was good---as it's upstairs right over the Zocalo---go there at night and wait for a window table