Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Shangri-la Caribe or Suenos Tulum for family trip.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28th, 2006, 04:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Everyone!
I am trying to plan my family's year-end vacation from Dec 26-Jan 2. Both the Shangri-La and Suenos Tulum have availability for my dates and are around the same price. The Shangri-la is a little cheaper and includes both breakfast and dinner.
We looking for an upscale small resort on a beautiful beach. The beach must be "safe" for our kids (ages 4 and 6) with no rocks and big waves.
We like to be in a quite/secluded spot, but within walking distance of things to do, restaurants, etc.

We have been to PDC before and love it. How does Tulum compare to Playa?

Any advice?
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 05:21 AM

I think Shangri-La Caribe offers most of what you are looking for but I would not call it "upscale." It is completely open air and as a result none of the public areas have ac and only a very few of the rooms do. There are not tvs or telephones in the rooms. The beach is beautiful, water mostly calm, you can walk down the beach to downtown and SLC has a long strip of beach area so it feels somewhat private. I loved the tropical/barefoot ambience of the resort but after four days was ready for better food and some AC. Breakfasts are good but the dinners were very mediocre so if you choose this location plan to go to town for some dinners. Even though they love the beach, a week without TV would be torture for my kids. There's not really anything else to do at the resort other than beach and pool.
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 05:31 AM

We have done both PDC and Tulum, and they are different. Tulum has more of a 'wild beach' feel to it. Not much development on the beach, and it the surf tends to be rougher. There are small hotels and campgrounds along the beach, but no town within walking distance. For kids, I would go with the Shangri La.
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 04:31 PM
Iza

I agree with previous posters. Our family (2 adults and 11 year old) loved Shangri La (spent a week there last summer) and I think you will find most things you are looking for there: secluded yet convenient to the town center, beautiful beach, quiet and relaxing yet fairly child friendly. Tulum is much more spread out, with the hotels strung along the beach and the actual town quite far inland.
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 08:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, I think the Shangri-la would be a better choice for us. How do the rooms compare, caribe vs. the aventura section?