teens and a perfect vacation

Sep 19th, 2002, 09:03 AM
Sandy

teens and a perfect vacation

I'm in the beginning stages of planning a spring break vacation (ok--planning vacations is a hobby). Our girls will be 13 and 15, and I'd like to make sure there are other teens around for them to spend time with. I was looking at an all-inclusive like Club Med, just because it seemed likely that other teens would be around, but I'd love some guidance. I was also looking at places like Jamaica and renting a condo with a kitchen, but the airfares on their own seem really high from Denver, where we live. Are AIs the way to go to save money on airfare?
Thanks so much for all your accumulated wisdom . . .

Sep 19th, 2002, 10:14 AM
Sue

How about Hawaii?

Sep 19th, 2002, 10:27 AM
Jim

If you want your teens to have company around, DON'T rent a condo ANYWHERE because they won't be part of anything. Whereas, if you go to an all inclusive, everyone is involved in the activities and welcome to join in. You'll find they gear different activities to different age groups so that your teens will definitely meet other teens at an all inclusive. The best one I've found so far for my teens is the Barcelo Maya Beach Resort in the Mayan Riviera (south of Cancun). There's a great town nearby (called Playa del Carmen) that has wonderful shopping/restaurants/nightlife if you get tired of the resort and want to explore a little. You can also take a day trip across to Cozumel with very little effort (via a ferry). We've always found that all inclusive is much cheaper than paying individually for everything, especially since the kids are ALWAYS HUNGRY or THIRSTY and usually when you aren't. In an all inclusive atmosphere, it doesn't matter when anyone eats or drinks or how often. Good luck!

Sep 19th, 2002, 01:43 PM
Sandy

Jim--
I'm interested in hearing more about the Barcelo. What was it like? Why is it your favorite?
Thanks in advance--
Sandy

Sep 19th, 2002, 02:20 PM
Jim

The Barcelo is a large complex with what is commonly regarded as one of the best beaches in the area. The entire complex sits in a small bay area that is roughly 2 miles wide with gorgeous white sand beach that is both deep and long with loads of palm trees for shade and lots of area for sun. The pool area is right next to the beach with hammocks, shady areas, so that you can see the beach from the pool and the pool from the beach (actually two pools with a grassy area in between that has basketball courts (paved), bocce pits (sand), the towel hut and the kids club area. There are two beach restaurants at the ends of the pools where you can easily see the pools and the beach. One of the beach restaurants becomes the disco late at night so it's open air, with palm trees waving and a cool ocean breeze. The pools and the beach have the most lounge chairs I've ever seen so that you never have to play that crazy "save the lounge chairs" game. The ocean has absolutely great snorkeling and great swimming areas. The dive hut is on the far left side of the beach with a great long pier that you can snorkel off and feed the fish. There's a tiny island about 50 feet off the pier that you can snorkel to. There are 5 buildings that run perpendicular to the beach so that the longest walk you have from beach to lobby is only the length of your building. There is a mini golf plus a regular size pitching/putting area for the adults to practice their real golf game. The ampitheatre is spectacular with tiered seating and the shows are great. They have a Michael Jackson impersonator one night that you have to see. This resort attracts a lot of families and there's so many activities that you can join or so many quiet areas you can relax in. It's large but absolutely NEVER crowded. The food is great, what else can I say??? Try it...you will like it and so will your kids!!!! Go to this website for more information:
www.unofficial-barcelo-maya.com/

Sep 20th, 2002, 05:06 AM
Sandy

Jim--
Thanks for pointing me in the way of that website. The place looks perfect. Next question--did you fly into Cancun? Does the resort offer any airfare packages that make sense? The rates seemed reasonable, but I always get the feeling that there are ways to get packages and lower prices that I don't know about. Again, thanks for the help.

Sep 20th, 2002, 08:41 AM
Jim

You do fly into Cancun airport and, if you take a package from a tour company such as Apple, they usually provide a bus to transport you to and from the airport (included in your "all inclusive" pricing). I don't live anywhere near Denver so I don't know what tour companies you have available. Spring break is the second most expensive time to go but it also fills up quickly so I'd book soon. Last trip we took, I used airmiles at spring break to soften the cost. Do you have any plans for airmiles (thru credit cards, etc.???)? I'd try that first if you have something. After that, you'll have to ask someone from your area what other options to pursue such as on-line travel agents, etc. Sorry I can't help with your area (Denver) in that pricing matter. If you post another question, specifically about packages from Denver, etc., I'm sure you'll get good responses.