Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Best adult hotel in Playa del carmen Cancun area that's NOT All inclusive?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6th, 2010, 06:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What would you say is the best NON AI in the Cancun Playa Del Carmen area? When discussing please keep in mind we would want to be in walking distance to various restaurants. Also what would you say it costs for a nice 3 course dinner in a good restaurant? Also what can I expect to pay for drinks poolside? Thanks,
Old Apr 6th, 2010, 06:08 AM
Original Poster

I almost fogot, it must be oceanfront and have great service. Thanks again
Old Apr 6th, 2010, 06:32 AM

Does it have to be adult only?

I ask because there are a number of great beachfront hotels I could recommend but I don't know that any of them are specifically adult only. Playa Maya is a great hotel and I have seen young kids there but very few. Most of the nonAI hotels in Playa that are beach front are small enough that even if there are kids, it's nothing like the big AI's and the hundreds of kids those places tend to attract.

In order of plush to basic (but very clean and safe) along the beach these would be my favorite
Playa Maya
Playa Palms
Alhambra
Pelicanos
Fusion

All great hotels, all beach front, all quite small and any of then right center action. Also keep in mind all of the small beach front hotels if they have a pool at all, the pool will be tiny. It's about the beach.

You may also want to consider a condo? There are some pretty upscale new Condo's right on the beach.
Old Apr 6th, 2010, 08:57 AM
KVR

It will be difficult to find an all adult's only on the beach in Playa. Most are off 5th Avenue and about a 10 minute walk to the beach or they are not adult's only properties.

We we're looking for the same thing and came across this site:

http://www.locogringo.com/dynamic/lo...cfm?area=Playa del Carmen&type=Hotel/Resort

We ended up choosing The Mahekal Beach Resort. It's not adult's only, but we're going the first week of December, so there shouldn't be many kids. They offer breakfast and either lunch/or dinner. A 15 minute walk to 5th Avenue. The rooms are cottages on the beach. If you get a beach front cottage, then just open your door and you are on the beach. One of the main reasons we picked this resort as we never found a AI resort that we could get this close to the beach even paying their exorbant prices for an ocean front view.

Our second choice was La Tortuga, but I think December will be too cool for their pool area. It is off 5th Avenue and a 10 minute walk to the beach.

This will be our first trip to Mexico in 10 years that we are not doing a full AI hotel. You can find good beer prices on 5th Avenue if you look. At the hotel, I would expect to pay between $3.00 to $5.00 for a beer and $6.00 to $10.00 for a fruity drink or cocktail. Many non-AI's have an advertised happy hour that includes 2 for 1 drinks.

For a nice dinner on 5th Avenue, anywhere between $60 and $100 depending on drinks. I found that the food prices in Cozumel and Isla Mujeres were cheaper than 5th Avenue in Playa.
Old Apr 7th, 2010, 03:51 AM

All those hotels listed on the beach are great choices and with the newly widened beach there's more room to spread out. Another choice on the beach is Las Palmas which is right next door to Mahekal. There are also a lot of houses for rent in Playacar Phase 1 which are beachfront as well as gorgeous places in PDC itself right on the beach like Luna Encantada or El Faro.
Playa was very busy last week and the weather was perfect.