Wyndham Sugar Bay?

Jun 1st, 2007, 08:50 AM
Original Poster

Wyndham Sugar Bay?

My family and I are planning a trip out to St. Thomas this summer, and I've been researching different places to stay. I'm going with two small children - one is four, and the other's two. I've heard a lot about the Wyndham Sugar Bay, but not a lot about taking kids there. Does anyone have any input about this? Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks a lot,

Kayanna
Jun 1st, 2007, 09:48 AM
KVR

My DH and I stayed at the Wyndham in May '05 to celebrate his 50th birthday. We did not see many kids there during our stay.

The Wyndham is a huge property built into the side of a hill/mountian. Plan on lots of walking to get anywhere on the property. There are 99 wooden steps to get to the beach, bar, grill and buffett. The nicer ocean view rooms are at the far end of the property from the lobby and the stairs to the beach area. There are jitneys, but we saw few and far between.

We enjoyed the food at the buffet. Lots of good salads and cold light itmes. Did not see much to offer for children. The grill had hamburgers, hotdogs and nachos with canned cheese. We did not care for the ala cart resturant. We did the AI plan, but I understand from another poster they are going to stop doing AI.

We thought the property was too big and too spread out. There is really nothing close to the Wyndam for resturants and shopping. You'll need to take a taxi. We were advised not to walk off the property at night as it was not realitivley safe. However, we did take taxis at night to Paradise Point and Duffy's Love Shack with no problem.

We have pictures posted if your interested at:

http://community.webshotsa.com/user/kvrlvn
Jun 1st, 2007, 09:49 AM
KVR

Sorry, misspelled the link.

http://community.webshots.com/user/kvrlvn
Jun 1st, 2007, 03:38 PM

many enjoy sugar bay but i just can't picture shlepping all the stuff for 2 kids up and down the steps to the pool/beach a few times a day. they have activities but nothing for little ones. also the beach is not a good one for kids. drop off is sharp and very close to shore. also sb gets some wave activity.
i would strongly suggest www.secretharbourvi.com this is an all condo resort on a calm, beautiful beach. there is a grocery nearby and i suspect you could save a great deal by taking some pb&j, etc with you or buying on island most of your breakfast and lunch food. sh has a really good restaurant and good beachfront bar. the beach is perfect for little ones, as it is easy to see the whole beach, has shady spots, has shallow calm entry. also very good snorkeling off to the right side of the beach.
be sure to plan an excursion to coki world - all kinds of stuff the kids will enjoy and you too.
kvr - as usual a treat to look at your photos. those 99 steps are something aren't they?
Jun 1st, 2007, 05:15 PM
KVR

virginia,

Thank you for the compliment on our pictures. Yes, those steps were a big turn off. It rained most of our trip and walking up and down those stairs in the rain was not fun either.

I did forget to mention the beach. It's has great depth, but not very wide. It was very rocky, so not good for swimming. The snorkeling was very good though. The Wyndham is the only place so far that we've been to that we were eaten alive by some type of flying knat/mosquito at night around the pool and beach. The 3 interconnecting pools were nice though and we enjoyed them.

I wouldn't consider the Wyndham very family friendly.
Jun 2nd, 2007, 07:42 PM

When we vacationed at Sugar Bay, there were some families with small children. The beach is on the small side, but there are not hotels on either side where people just walk through. The rooms are good sized (with breathtaking views, I might add). The poolside grill offered hamburgers, hotdogs, and chicken sandwiches along with chips. A staff member came around around mid morning with fresh fruit and mid afternoon with popsicles. There was a self serve cooler area for ice cream bars and pop for the kids. The pool area was very nice. Specifically for the kids,they had Iguana feedings, bird shows, kids movies, kids bonfires, and a pajama party. The shuttle runs up and down the hill every 5 minutes.
I don't know how interested you are in leaving the property with small kids, but we left several times, using taxi's as STT is rather hilly and we chose not to drive. We had been warned about crime prior to going to the USVI. Crime IS on the rise, as you know, not only in the U.S. Virgin Islands, but across the nation as a whole. We never felt unsafe and when we asked, we were told the big problem was in the residential areas, which is not by the hotels.
Hope this helps.
Jul 27th, 2007, 09:20 AM

I recently took my two children to the Wyndham Sugar Bay Resort & Spa. There is a complimentary kids club for children aged 4-12 from the hours of 10 am to 4pm. They also show movies for the kids at the amphitheatre nightly. The kids activities are great with Iguana Feeding, t-shirt painting, cooking classes etc. There are lots of watersports, snorkeling is available right off the beach, I would urge the children to wear beach shoes as the reef is literally just a few feet from the sand. When the children are out of school the property is busy with families and is a very family friendly resort. Thursday night they have a carnival party with limbo dancing for the kids, fire eating and a local band which is great for adults and children. Watersports are available at the beach, kayaks, hobie cats. The Mangrove restaurant is family friendly with plenty of choices for adults and kids, there is also a grill for a quick snack. There are so many tours available off property, my kids loved Coki Beach just 5 minutes from the property Coral World is next door which is an underwater aquarium, turtles and sea lions are also there.

We had fun, we will definitely return.