Several questions about Tabacon

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4th, 2004, 07:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got questions both about the Hot Springs themselves and about the accommodations. Will be grateful for any in-put.

Even though I've looked at several guidebooks and these posts, I'm still not sure how the springs actually "work." I.e. I assume that since these are public, one has to wear bathing suits, yes? So how does that work? Are there changing rooms? How far are they from the springs themselves? Are they perfectly clean? I ask because I'm not comfortable using jacuzzis at resorts (we have a hot tub at home which we love-- come to think of it a "Hot Springs" tub in fact! In short, what I'm wondering is whether using the public hot springs is more trouble than it may be worth? (esp. if they're crowded-- we're going in January)

Accommodations: We value quiet and privacy. I believe I read that the resort is "on the road." Are there rooms that are well removed from any road or people noise? What would be the best accommodation to request? Best view, most privacy, etc. (plus king bed)

Canopy tour: I suspect that I'll be too nervous to do the zip-line thing (definite fear of heights-- tho we are doing Hanging Bridges at Arenal). But I'd love to see it done. And presumably, since the Original Canopy tour seems to be right at Tabacon, one can watch others do the zipping. Is that correct? And if there's a canopy tour right at Tabacon, that would suggest that there's great rain forest right there? Is that correct? In short, we'd been thining about staying at Observatory Lodge because I liked the idea of being right there at the park, right in the trees, etc-- but I'm wondering if maybe Tabacon is just as handsome an area.

These are all things I've been unable to learn from books or other sites, so I'll be very gratefull if first-haders can fill me in with details. Thank you!

(Keefmick: Are you still there? You've been very helpful to me. Thanks.)
Old Jul 4th, 2004, 07:57 AM

Just returned from a 6 night stay there. Suits yes, public for a fee yes, clean yes each soaking pool is drained and scrubbed daily as well as the resort swimming pool. The springs are about a block down the road follow a lighted walkway or the hotel will bus you both ways if your a guest. You get a bracelet at the hotel you show a the gate then inside there are changing rooms with lockers to use along with towels. The spring are huge most pools are empty even at peak times. Also a quarter of a block futher on the other side of the road is another less used section. The main section is the size of three football feilds accros the road its the size of one bootball feild. The room are great some have views some don't no noise that we heard and the road isn't a problem. We had room 300 direct in front of the volcano with a king bed, sitting room and a deluxe patio. You can't go wrong with this choice. You'll sometimes hear about a smell at the hotel. It's when you run the hot water a sulfur smell because the hot water comes direct from the hot springs. One of the most beatiful places you'll ever see. Didn't do the canopy but Cano Negro trip is great anlong with the half day raft float trip down the white river both allow you to see more wildlife that on twenty canopy tours. Also the most unusual tour is the night jungle tour a little spoky but you'll see things no one else see's durring the day. All can be booked through the hotel.
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 06:01 AM

poss--I agree with booberry--hot springs are a must-very clean and beautiful--so is the resort itself--you are going to see bugs everywhere you stay in CR so be prepared--not a lot but some--we did the canopy in tabacon and monteverde--my 11 year old wanted to try the one at tabacon before doing others b/c it is only 3 zips while others are many more--she loved it--not real rain forest, much more just an attraction but a really fun one at that--we loved it--that is the one to try if you are going to try one and are afraid b/c far fewer zips and much shorter zips and not so high--if you know you will love it then skip this one and do it somewhere else with many more and longer and higher zips--have fun!
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 07:55 AM

We were not going to do the canopy tour b/c CR Expeditions refuses to book it due to them not being regulated (liability issue). But once we got there, a guest at Makanda (manuel antonio) raved about his tour so we went. Very safety oriented- we used Safari Canopy tours. Also, the swinging bridges are much higher than the zipline, so you should be fine!
Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 06:46 PM

ttt