Osa Peninsula in Early November

Old Jul 16th, 2004, 01:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Osa Peninsula in Early November

My husband and I are planning a trip to Costa Rica for early November. We've been looking into the Drake Bay area, but are concerned about the rain. We don't mind some rain and mud, but really want to know if we should expect it to be a constant downpour or if it is similar to postings I've seen for months earlier in the green season, mainly heavy rain in the afternoon. Has anyone been to this area at this time? What was your weather experience like?
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 10:37 AM

Hi Blumen

I've only been once to the Osa and it was very recently--this past May. Also, we stayed in Cabo Matapalo, not on Drake Bay.

Nonetheless, I may have some useful information for you.

All throughout out trip, we inquired at each location on what the weather was like in early November because best friends of ours were planning a honeymoon to Costa Rica at exactly that time.

The manager at Bosque del Cabo said that while the beaches in northern Guanacaste were at their best in early November, the Osa, or more particularly Bosque del Cabo was totally void of travellers. I don't remember why exactly (it was really rainy when we were there but still there were plenty of guests like us there), but I suppose it had a lot to do with the roads being near-unnavigable at that time.
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 04:04 PM

I'm curious about where you're staying? We're looking to go to Drake Bay next Spring are considering the Delfin Amor or La Paloma. MonaM, if you see this, what was Cabo Matapalo like?
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 05:38 PM
Original Poster

MonaManuel - thank you for the info. I think we will try it anyway, but will be prepared for the worst. Sounds like a very short car ride for the trip to Drake Bay, so hopefully we will at least be able to get there!

Pumpy - I think we will stay at La Paloma. Decided based on many of the helpful postings here and other web surfing. My husband isn't really into roughing it, and this looked about as cushy as you can get in this area! Delfin Amor does look appealing with it's Dolphin/Whale watches. If you haven't seen it yet, go to this web site for more info on Delfin Amor. http://www.fluffytails.ca/costarica.asp
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 06:31 PM

Blumen, hope you have a great trip. I too am leaning towards LaPaloma but may go with Delfin Amor because of Dolphin/Whale watches (although you can probably book from LaPaloma), it's bit cheaper, & we're looking to stay @ Peace Lodge for a cushy 3-4 night stay before heading back. Besides Drake Bay/Osa, are you going to any other areas?
Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 03:41 AM
Original Poster

Pumpy - I think either choice looks good in Drake Bay. How long will you be able to stay down there? Right now we only have 3 nights, but considering adding on a 4th if we can swing it. Plan to go to Arenal Area a couple of nights and then 1 night at Peace Lodge. 3 - 4 nights at Peace Lodge sounds like a nice and relaxing way to end your trip. Wish we had more time!
Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 07:25 PM

Blumen, our plan is to spend 4 nts in Drake and 3-4 nts @ Peace Lodge (1-2 nts in San Jose..day of arrival & departure). I too wish we had more time as I would like to go to Manuel Antonio area. We could squeeze it in but I do not want to spend/lose a lot time traveling between locations (especially w/ 2 kids). Enjoy!